L’Étape South Africa

carbon29er

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once I've spoken to everyone at the club and know the numbers interested, I'll share the details.

We're staying in the Hilton area, so we may end up riding to the start and then ride the route. Others are welcome to join as it makes for good company and perhaps better visibility for motorists.

Will probably be on Sunday morning as originally planned - some of us are driving down Saturday morning.

We provisionally have two ladies riding.

We are flying up from CT for this, and now it's "postponed" ????

We are most likely going to bring our bikes up anyway. Would be happy to ride the route with you guys and see the scenery if that's ok?

We are flying up from CT for this, and now it's "postponed"

We are most likely going to bring our bikes up anyway. Would be happy to ride the route with you guys and see the scenery if that's ok?

Perhaps Blondeonabike/Chainsaw can confirm the actual status of the roads - the statement from CSA makes it sound like the route (conditions) is the reason for the postponement, and not the organisers pi$$ poor effort.

We have no problem with anyone joining us and making a day of it. We have a backup car confirmed, with a fridge for extra bottles and snacks. Some of us are travelling down on Saturday morning, and others on Friday. As we were all geared up for the race on Sunday, we'll kept the ride planned for the same day.

Our group is staying in Hilton (I think it's close to the Cedara offramp), so a short ride from there to Howick and the Mandela Capture site, or possibly Piggly Wiggly. I'm sure we can get something organised between now and next weekend.

I am also flying down from CT so i would love to join too.

Not gonna let the booked flights, new bike bag, extra bags for the bike, the entrance fee and most importantly the training go to waste!!!

Maybe we can all meet up at the planned start area at the Nelson Mandela capture site and have lekka ride around the Meander!!!

I'm honestly trying to understand how CSA is responsible here?????

They have the organizers deadlines, like all other race organizers, which we're not met - they then tried to work with the organizers to ensure compliance, in the name of rider safety.

Their intervention, if anything, has saved a bad situation, from getting beyond control!

Kudos to Mike and Kelvin for having our best interests at heart

They aren't to blame but there is a problem in the system. I'll reply in more detail later.

CSA Press Release:

"Postponement of L’Etape South Africa by Le Tour de France

Cycling South Africa has met with the L’Etape South Africa’s event organisers, Buyu Sport & Entertainment. Having assessed the conditions of the roads, which have been under a road rehabilitation programme, and some of the compliance issues required, it was concluded that the road surface for the proposed route will not be in a satisfactory state for riders by the race date, 2 April 2017.

Both parties agree that the safety of riders is of utmost importance and cannot be compromised and have therefore come to a mutual agreement to postpone the event to a future date to be agreed upon by both parties.

Although not an easy decision to make, in view of riders travel and accommodation commitments, the risk of rider injury was deemed too high.

Cycling South Africa welcomes the decision, after having to withdraw sanctioning earlier in the week on safety concerns. Cycling South Africa, along with KwaZulu-Natal Cycling, will work closely with the organisers and local authorities to develop this exciting event in the near future.

L’Etape by Le Tour de France is an international brand that will serve a great purpose in promoting cycling within South Africa and indeed The Midlands, in the Kwa-Zulu Natal region. L’Etape du Tour (French for ‘a stage of the tour’) was established in 1993 by ASO (Amaury Sport Organisation) to allow cyclists to experience a stage of Le Tour de France first-hand and are committed to ensuring that the race meets all of the cycling standards."

First class heap of steaming male bovine excrement! Just admit sorry everyone, we f**ked up!

[emoji23] [emoji23]

I think I will take to the trails with my hubby and kids[emoji4]

It's been a busy year this will do us all good..some laughs and bonding time.

admit it,you don't really want to ever do a road race............

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yip

I have no issues with CSA putting their foot down.

Only mistake they probably made was taking the organisers word for things and giving them perhaps too much time to get their ducks in a row.

Like the Commonwealth Games committee took that idiot Fikile Mbalula and Octagen at their word that Durban was all go. Except they skimmed R100+ million from that one.

I do believe that is the correct use of the term idiot.

admit it,you don't really want to ever do a road race............

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Road bike put back into the naughty corner

[quote name="geraldm24" post="3095608" timestamp="1490438227"

They aren't to blame but there is a problem in the system. I'll reply in more detail later.

I would appreciate it

Perhaps Blondeonabike/Chainsaw can confirm the actual status of the roads - the statement from CSA makes it sound like the route (conditions) is the reason for the postponement, and not the organisers pi$$ poor effort.

We have no problem with anyone joining us and making a day of it. We have a backup car confirmed, with a fridge for extra bottles and snacks. Some of us are travelling down on Saturday morning, and others on Friday. As we were all geared up for the race on Sunday, we'll kept the ride planned for the same day.

Our group is staying in Hilton (I think it's close to the Cedara offramp), so a short ride from there to Howick and the Mandela Capture site, or possibly Piggly Wiggly. I'm sure we can get something organised between now and next weekend.

Postponing the event and citing the condition of the road as the only reason is just an excuse.  When we did the recon ride there is a 20km section where potholes were being filled.  On the day I chose to not ride a tight bunch so that we had space to move around the odd hole, single file worked well here.  I suppose racing that section would be hazardous if the holes were not filled on time.  Riding it socially..... I don't see a problem.  The rest of the route is beautiful, maybe we should ask Antoo to share some of his scenery photos with us?

Archived