Garmin Edge 820 or 520?

CASSIE1975

R0 on duties, R520 VAT and R125 courier handling fee.

Ordered on the Monday morning had it in my grubby paws by Thursday lunch time

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow thats quick and fast, iam surprised you managed to get it in as garmin like zipp and sram has enforced restrictions on imports into the country.

Will the local Garmin guys look at it if there is a problem or do you ship it back to the guys in the UK ?

Will the local Garmin guys look at it if there is a problem or do you ship it back to the guys in the UK ?

My first Garmin that I got in 2006(edge 205 I think it was called) was purchased in the states. When it eventually died in 2012 I took it to Garmin(when they where still in honeydew) I told them I hadn't bought it here and they said it didn't matter and gave me the replacement upgrade option to a 500.

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

Did you have problems with maps or is it SA maps thats loaded on device?

Talk us through the process as I would like to order one

How much duty did they charge you on the unit? See those prices are very good!!

I paid around R750 duty on mine about a month and a half ago.

I cannot get my brand new Edge 520 to pair with my phone - aaaaaaaarrrghhghghgh!!!

:cursing: It's doing my head in

Did you have problems with maps or is it SA maps thats loaded on device?

Talk us through the process as I would like to order one

DCRainmaker has an online article to load Openstreetmaps. I ordered my 820 from Totalcycling in December. At the time there was no courier option. Waited 5weeks because of JIMC. Ordered a 520 amd 820 for friends in March from Probikeshop. Ordered Monday, arrived Thursday. The follwing Monday 1 April they stopped shipping all goods to SA.

Go with a courier option if you gonna order. Courier will call you as soon as it arrives at customs for clearance. Some couriers allow you to pay your vat, clearance fees by card/cash on delivery. Others might ask for an eft. Add 3-4% on total price for credit card fees depending on bank. No import duties just vat + handling fees. Payable here is approximately 15.5 - 16% of purchase price excluding postage.

How do you activate it?

Go to Bluetooth and enable text and messages, Bluetooth on your phone needs to be enabled as well

I cannot get my brand new Edge 520 to pair with my phone - aaaaaaaarrrghhghghgh!!!

:cursing: It's doing my head in

Have you loaded the app? The app allows you to pair your fone with device. There are 2 pairings that need to be made, BLE Edge and BT Edge. App needs to be running in background with bluetooth on to recieve notifications. Activate Live Track amd Group Track in app. According to Garmin you can track any Live Track enabled device on your 820 when paired and connected but I have not been able to do this with friends with 520's.

Have you loaded the app? The app allows you to pair your fone with device. There are 2 pairings that need to be made, BLE Edge and BT Edge. App needs to be running in background with bluetooth on to recieve notifications. Activate Live Track amd Group Track in app. According to Garmin you can track any Live Track enabled device on your 820 when paired and connected but I have not been able to do this with friends with 520's.

Do you mean the Garmin Connect Mobile app? 

Go to Bluetooth and enable text and messages, Bluetooth on your phone needs to be enabled as well

Ahhh, I had the BT connected but not BLE. Shows up now, will be great if whatsapp shows up, it's a business tool for me.

Ahhh, I had the BT connected but not BLE. Shows up now, will be great if whatsapp shows up, it's a business tool for me.

Whilst busy racing up Edinburgh Drive at the CTCT I got a SMS come through on my EDGE saying the race was cancelled, LOL about the only time the message function was handy for me as I was in the max going up the climb. Also comes in handy when the phone rings, The name comes up on the screen. That way you know if you need to bother slowing down to take the call or just let it ring.

Yes.

Hmmm are you saying I should see 2 connections? I only see one, the BT 520. No BLE connection is available. I have the Garmin connect app, my Edge 510 connects fine.

When I try connect it says it's paired on my phone but in the app and on the Garmin shows as disconnected.

Archived