Garmin Edge 820 or 520?

CASSIE1975

You won't go wrong with it. I was reflecting on this thread on my ride this morning. I love my 520. It just works. No problems, no complications, no ***. I turn it on and it works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have to agree on the 520. For me it's been faultless . The memory isn't an issue as all my rides are uploaded in any event. If you don't need or use maps I reckon the 820 is a bit overkill. The buttons take some getting used if you're used to touch screen as I was due to having the 510 before hand but I find navigation around the device just fine. It syncs and uploads quickly while the 510 often posed issues in this department.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are the touchscreens accessible whist wearing gloves?

Are the 520 and 820 available as unit only? Don't need more sensors

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

Bought my 520 unit only no problem

My 820 works quite well with my winter gloves.

My 820 works quite well with my winter gloves.

Do you wear thick gloves?  Do you also use layered gloves?  I am very interrested to know as this is my big problem that I have.  I can not ex use my smart phone with my winter gloves.

Do you wear thick gloves? Do you also use layered gloves? I am very interrested to know as this is my big problem that I have. I can not ex use my smart phone with my winter gloves.

I use mine with gloves and it is a bit hit and miss as to how well it will work.

Also remember to lock the screen if it rains, I had one of my data fields change in the middle of a ride..

Those who use the Openstreet maps on the 520, does it work well for navigation purposes?  Would you be able to load a route and then it guides you like a normal navigation app on the route?.  I assume so but would like to confirm.

Those who use the Openstreet maps on the 520, does it work well for navigation purposes?  Would you be able to load a route and then it guides you like a normal navigation app on the route?.  I assume so but would like to confirm.

Do you wear thick gloves?  Do you also use layered gloves?  I am very interrested to know as this is my big problem that I have.  I can not ex use my smart phone with my winter gloves.

I use First Ascent winter gloves. They don't work though with my iPhone. The 820 is useful though to see who is calling. The Openstreet maps works quite well for Cape Town. I only loaded CPT for now.

I was told once that you need a glove that has carbon(I think?) in the fingertip as the screens don't respond to the touch of our finger so much but rather some other feedback that we give off. Kinda like what a stylus has in its tip. This is apparently why the back of a pen doesn't work with most touch screens.???? 

Also remember to lock the screen if it rains, I had one of my data fields change in the middle of a ride..

I was thinking exactly this on the last day in the rain at Sani.  I need to go read up how to lock the screen on the 820

Did some serious flips between screens when the heavens open.....

Openstreet maps works very well.

Assos Habu and Early winter gloves works fine with the 820

Also Giro MTB gloves.

• 2 months later...

Anyone had an issue with the Bluetooth before on the 520?

After my ride this morning I noticed it didn't auto upload like it normally does. My gps battery was low and just before I finished it gave a warning. So I thought maybe that's why. I charged it and its now 100%. Have switched BT off/on on both phone and gps and they still not connecting with each other. I haven't changed anything since yesterday and this morning. When I go into my rides(menu, history, rides) and try upload it manually, it doesn't even give me the option and previously it used to give the option. When I go into phone settings and search for BT devices my garmin doesn't even come up. I never actually switch my phone BT off so normally when I turn on my edge I get a message saying connected to phone. Can't remember if I got that this morning.

HELP PLEASE.........

Archived