Anyone else battle with ITB tightness?

brucem76

Also check bike set up. I had an itb issue some years back. It didn't affect my cycling at all but messed with my running seriously! When I changed bikes the problem stopped. This led me to believe that the bike wasn't set up properly and caused the problem.

It's not recommend that you foam roller the ITB ⚠️

It's not a mossel like the quads etc

You can risk harming it

Stretching lots and consistently.

Also so some pre-ride activation of your chassis.

Plus work on overall dexterity of course ????????

And be patient with your body

This is a problem with some physios, I had to go to three before I found someone that understood and actually cared about sport specific conditions.

Yea it sucks. They put me off of going to them all together.

• 2 weeks later...

"It's not recommend that you foam roller the ITB ⚠️

You can risk harming it"

Not according to biokinetesist advice...

Foam rolling an ITB will just cause further inflammation and pain associated.

Best is to release the posterior chain, might also be linked with Sacroiliac joint dysfunction.

This simple stretch has been a revelation to me:

42f28b9ad54582c41827b09287f47448.gif

Thanks @tjommies3 !

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

"It's not recommend that you foam roller the ITB ⚠️

You can risk harming it"

Not according to biokinetesist advice...

At your own risk then. ????

This simple stretch has been a revelation to me:

42f28b9ad54582c41827b09287f47448.gif

Thanks @tjommies3 !

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

That is a superb move

Love that chilled state after a good stretch session ????????‍♀️

if it's already hurting, don't stretch it, you'll just make it worse.  a biokineticist works wonders with those Electro Muscle Stimulation thingies.  Once it's feeling good, then it's time to strengthen it up and stretch etc.

Doesn't mean it won't recur though, be patient with your training and "listen to your body" before deciding whether to go ride or not.  It can be frustrating at times, but your patience will pay off.

This article discusses quite plainly why foam rolling a stressed ITB is usually NOT recommended, and how it and can in some cases even be detrimental.   

The gist of it, as mentioned by others, is that the ITB is very often only the symptom of the discomfort. The cause of the pain is usually somewhere else entirely.

I've found that one of the absolute best ways to both stretch and condition the muscles that the ITB supports is The Goblet Squat

Once you've got the setup dialed in, do a couple of sets a day for a couple of days in a row with very little weight. The "goblet" simply assists the balance, this is essentially a bodyweight only exercise.   

It can also be a great warm-up or warm-down stretch exercise. 

Aaaah, the joys of being married to a physio - never struggled with an itb.

First off, you cannot stretch an ITB.

Secondly, ITB is caused by an allignment issue.

Foamrollers can end up "bruising" the ITB; that is only fixing the symptom, not the cause.

Stretching your glutes is not nescesarily the right thing; you may have a problem elsewhere, and by stretching your glutes, you may make things worse.

Go see a physio. Have your allignement checked.

Follow the advice given no matter how silly the exercises may seem - trust me, if the physio knows her stuff, you should listen and you should be fine.

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/knee-pain/iliotibial-band-syndrome/it-band-roller

Clearly there are various ways to treat itb. The sports injury clinic link above recommends various treatments and exercises including using the foam rollers.

Obviously as with all exercises there are correct and incorrect ways of doing them, all of these methods will have their place and application which will be specific to each individual.

Archived