GoPro advice

JeffD

Hi,

So I treated myself to a GoPro Hero 5 for Christmas for various sports & adventures.

Any tips/tricks/advice to get the best out of it for mountain biking?

Thanks.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I too treated myself with one, coming next month.

Am i correct in saying that it doesn't come with a protective casing seeing as it's waterproof?

if that 's the case,I'll have to make a plan to get something...

I'd like something in the event a spill on the bike. 

I also have one and regard the lack of a cover as a backward step. One fall and you risk damaging the camera rather than just the case. GoPro are slipping in my opinion but nevertheless here are links to the only case available so far:

http://www.backscatter.com/sku/gp-aadiv-001.lasso?s1op=cn&s1=hero5&sop=AND

https://www.ormsdirect.co.za/gopro-super-suit-uber-protection-dive-housing-for-hero5-black

I am not sure whether the one from Orms will allow you to use the back touch screen through the cover. I think that's important to establish before buying....

I also have one and regard the lack of a cover as a backward step. One fall and you risk damaging the camera rather than just the case. GoPro are slipping in my opinion but nevertheless here are links to the only case available so far:

http://www.backscatter.com/sku/gp-aadiv-001.lasso?s1op=cn&s1=hero5&sop=AND

https://www.ormsdirect.co.za/gopro-super-suit-uber-protection-dive-housing-for-hero5-black

I am not sure whether the one from Orms will allow you to use the back touch screen through the cover. I think that's important to establish before buying....

That's odd

We have the Hero 3 Black (bought a few years ago) it came with an awesome protective waterproof cover that got tested to it limits while we were diving last week. Damn awesome little toy that.

That's odd

We have the Hero 3 Black (bought a few years ago) it came with an awesome protective waterproof cover that got tested to it limits while we were diving last week. Damn awesome little toy that.

Ja, I agree that the 3 and 4 are awesome. The 5 is also great with added features like stabilisation and GPS but the lack of a case, while touted as progress by GoPro, is in my opinion, a backward step. They claim that since it has openings to the input/output connectors, you can use them without having to take the case off. But then you have to remove the flaps covering the connectors. Wont be long before one breaks or goes missing. There's going to be a huge aftermarket industry growing. Either that or folks will go to Garmin

Ja, I agree that the 3 and 4 are awesome. The 5 is also great with added features like stabilisation and GPS but the lack of a case, while touted as progress by GoPro, is in my opinion, a backward step. They claim that since it has openings to the input/output connectors, you can use them without having to take the case off. But then you have to remove the flaps covering the connectors. Wont be long before one breaks or goes missing. There's going to be a huge aftermarket industry growing. Either that or folks will go to Garmin

One one of our dives their was a guy that had a brand spanking new hero 5 and for some reason it just stopped working under water. He did have the waterproof case so that was a bit of a mystery.. possible that he ran our of memory., we never followed up but he came to us mid dive asking for help[emoji53]

There was another guy that had a another device a toppro or something like that.. was a nifty little thing with a preview screen and all.

I have a 4 and 5 and am scared to take the 5 underwater. The case on the 4 is sturdy and it has proved itself over years although I have yet to scuba with it. Took some shots of a stream with it on my brothers farm as well as this little piece at Jonkershoek:

Do you use a light or filter with it underwater?

Here's teh shot on m y boet's farm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iWTI1y4hv8&feature=youtu.be

Edited by sawystertrance

I have a 4 and 5 and am scared to take the 5 underwater. The case on the 4 is sturdy and it has proved itself over years although I have yet to scuba with it. Took some shots of a stream with it on my brothers farm as well as this little piece at Jonkershoek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2oXCc1kXp4

No no filter and didn't take a torch with , but we said we may invest in a filter.

I really was so surprised at the picture quality and no issues at all with the casing, the casing we got with it is good to 40m.. (although not tested we didn't do any deep dives last week.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2oXCc1kXp4

I remember hiring a camera called Sea and Sea when i went to the Red Sea. Worked OK but man, I wish I had had a GoPro then. I should go again. Where do you dive?

And...what happened to the OP?

I remember hiring a camera called Sea and Sea when i went to the Red Sea. Worked OK but man, I wish I had had a GoPro then. I should go again. Where do you dive?

And...what happened to the OP?

Lol

OP got his answer and is probably editing as we speak.

We were at Sodwana last week.. when we dive we mostly go there and stay at Triton, we hauled out the scuba gear after many years packed away[emoji4], we have dived all the normal places.. Aliwal Protea banks shees even old wondergat.. Our boys awere finally old enough to do their course so they did it last week and their qualifying dives..what a special time it was.

Have a 5 as well...spent the day jumping in and out of the pool and the next day (hot, beach), there was some mist inside the lens, had to remove the lens and let it breathe...so, yeah, be careful submerging it completely....rain and such may be OK...

I dont use it much but I also have the 4 and have dived it past 40m to the task force board in Wondergat with no issues. They are great little units in my opinion. 

I prefer images and still mostly use my old Nikonos 5 camera and duel SB104 strobes with Kodak slide film which I bought in the 90's some time and still takes magnificent photos. Old school I know.  :blush:

Sea and Sea are well established in the underwater camera market, and, since Nikon stopped producing the Nikonos underwater range, they are now probably the most popular brand in the mass market as they have the entire range of product from basic rentals to top of the line pro equipment, their footprint in the underwater field is huge and well supported world wide.

When it comes to water there is a big difference between "Water Resistant" and "Water Proof" the former been fine, as Capediver says, in the rain, or just below the surface in your bath, but its really not designed to be subjected to extreme pressure as in diving.    

Lol

OP got his answer and is probably editing as we speak.

We were at Sodwana last week.. when we dive we mostly go there and stay at Triton, we hauled out the scuba gear after many years packed away[emoji4], we have dived all the normal places.. Aliwal Protea banks shees even old wondergat.. Our boys awere finally old enough to do their course so they did it last week and their qualifying dives..what a special time it was.

I have been diving in Sodwana since the 70's when you had to carry your gear on your head while swimming across the river to get to the beach :blink: then you had to carry your tank back all the way to the sports field, no longer there of course, where it could be refilled because no compressors were allowed on the beach, and there was no diving concessions, you took your own boat, food, water, petrol and compressor if you wanted to dive.

Anyway, all that has changed for the better of course and I know Triton well, tell Eve I send my regards when you next see her.

How I would love to jump into that warm water now.!! 

But I have to say I am a sucker for Aliwal shoal, I have pretty much dived all over the world, the Carribean, the Med, the US east and west coast, the great barrier reef, but in my opinion Aliwal is of the best out there.

This was an old world war 2 Allied bomber off the island of Corsica in the Med. It has a very interesting history.

post-16119-0-38185800-1483044685_thumb.jpg

Me decending (with my Nikonos) off Little Cayman, its a wall dive and quite incredible, pulling up at 40 metres the wall just drops away below you.

post-16119-0-23064500-1483044706_thumb.jpg 

Sorry for the grainy images but they are slides and I had to quickly scan them into the computer to post them here and I didnt get the scan settings 100%, but you get the idea.  :rolleyes:

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

I have been diving in Sodwana since the 70's when you had to carry your gear on your head while swimming across the river to get to the beach :blink: then you had to carry your tank back all the way to the sports field, no longer there of course, where it could be refilled because no compressors were allowed on the beach, and there was no diving concessions, you took your own boat, food, water, petrol and compressor if you wanted to dive.

Anyway, all that has changed for the better of course and I know Triton well, tell Eve I send my regards when you next see her.

How I would love to jump into that warm water now.!!

But I have to say I am a sucker for Aliwal shoal, I have pretty much dived all over the world, the Carribean, the Med, the US east and west coast, the great barrier reef, but in my opinion Aliwal is of the best out there.

This was an old world war 2 Allied bomber off the island of Corsica in the Med. It has a very interesting history.

attachicon.gif1-14-2012 11-56-44_015.jpg

Me decending (with my Nikonos) off Little Cayman, its a wall dive and quite incredible, pulling up at 40 metres the wall just drops away below you.

attachicon.gif1-14-2012 11-5-39_004.jpg

Wow hey.. sjoe.. you definitely have some interesting diving stories.

And yes the water was lovely.. 27degrees in fact.. this trip was hands down the best diving we have done there.. and we have had some amazing dives over the years..

I'll be sure to tell Eve a GrumpyOldGuy sends regards.. must be honest Peter's absence is noticeable [emoji22] but they have a bunch of really good guys there..my sons had a great instructor and they had absolutely no issues.

BTW how is wondergat lately? Gosh I haven't been there for ages.

Edited by Gen