Constant brake noise & vibration

Johnny 55

Hi guys. I recently bought a second hand mtb. Its got avid elixir5 brakes on. The front brake works perfect, the back brake keeps on making these awfull sounds when I brake & its not the sound you hear from a wet just washed brake. The bike vibrates alot also especially the back when I brake.

I replaced the rotor and the pads and also got all the seals replaced in the caliper. Pistons release same time so.I dont know anymore. Maybe the hub or the rim is bended, or maybe the frame.

Please help.

Thanks.

Avid like to give out the turkey wharbl, I have the same brakes and they get pretty noisy but work well other than that.

There could be a plethora of culprits like, qr, wheel not true, hub bearings, duel sus pivots, crack in the frame...etc

What bike is it?

Thanks guys, it doesnt amaze me that theres a AA group for avid brakes. I think I should just get Xt brakes. Thanks for the advice.

Avid brakes do not squeal or vibrate if properly set up and aligned.

Have had 5's for years and won't replace them they're great.

Just remember you can't service xt's dis gooi weg and replace.

Avids are serviceable.

If you have a proper bleed kit not much can beat them.

Hi guys. I recently bought a second hand mtb. Its got avid elixir5 brakes on. The front brake works perfect, the back brake keeps on making these awfull sounds when I brake & its not the sound you hear from a wet just washed brake. The bike vibrates alot also especially the back when I brake.

I replaced the rotor and the pads and also got all the seals replaced in the caliper. Pistons release same time so.I dont know anymore. Maybe the hub or the rim is bended, or maybe the frame.

Please help.

Thanks.

Maybe the wheel bearings are shot. This could also cause the disc not to track straight and true under braking.....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Avids are serviceable..

Yes but the service kits are so expensive that even if you do it yourself, the cost for a full overhaul including lever pivots, master cylinder and caliper with new pads comes close to the cost of a brand new brakeset. BTDT

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Archived