Somerset West Fires (now including paarl and stellies/jonkers)

dev  null

I was at Boskloof yesterday helping out. But I wasn't a whole lot of use as it was already under control. The work by the fire teams and the helicopters was very impressive. While there I unloaded a Bakkie full of water fruit chips etc from the community. They had organized them into packs for teams of five and there was plenty to go around. I saw the picture of the pile at the church where it was being stored and there is a staggering amount. Seeing the community come together like that for these guys was quite heartwarming.

:clap: :clap: , then it must have been from you that we got the water. :clap: :clap:

Thanks Andy. Dont under estimate how much help you gave. Moving all the food and water around is a HUGE help.

Are you on the somerset west FB page ?

EDIT: how are your pets ? If you need them checking up drop into the practice

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

post-2696-0-93476000-1483605763_thumb.jpg

Andy this post is for you.

Without people like you, who do all the small things in the background, the big things like VWS fighting fires dont happen.

To others who are wanting to help, while you cant all "fight" the fire, there are lots of other ways to "fight".

A simple thing like being a food parcel taxi makes a huge difference. Just simply being able to hand stuff out, or even take stuff in, all helps. You guys are the real faceless hero's, cause your name, your photo is never likely to be in a paper. 

Ok, now I am rambling. Cappuccino time and then back to the chain on my desk, and kiddy lock on "bikehub"... yea right!

Just heard on the radio that 2 families have lost everything. Not sure of details, but is up Vergelegen/Louresnford way.

I cannot stress this enough. Make sure you have copies of every important document somewhere not in your house.

In todays age there should be no excuse for not backing up electronic stuff.

Just heard on the radio that 2 families have lost everything. Not sure of details, but is up Vergelegen/Louresnford way.

I cannot stress this enough. Make sure you have copies of every important document somewhere not in your house.

In todays age there should be no excuse for not backing up electronic stuff.

Jurgen from VersusSocks lives out that way, hope they are ok!

If they live on the farm(s) then things are not looking good. The Smoke is a real killer and the wind is picking up.

The fire is slowly moving into the mountains making it that much harder for the teams. The bits of Han se Kop that did not two days ago are now under threat. Upside is most of the vegetation at the base already burnt. This fire really is giving everyone the run around and burning everything in its path.

The smoke has made things nearly invisible towards Louresnford from town.

We are on standby ready to move horses off lourensford. Fine balance between keeping staff at work, and letting them loose to go help with the skills they have. 80% of them are horsey people.

:(

just called the number and it goes to voicemail. hopefully this is his work number and his pvt phone is working and on

@marko

thanks for the offer. but given how many flare ups are happening, best keep your resources close at hand.

Helshoogte is having flare ups. Veld fires popping up all over in stellies.

Best of luck and well done on the good work. I have lost a lot to fire over the years so sympathise with you guys. It is just terrible.

post-2696-0-25170900-1483618997_thumb.jpg

those in somerset west wanting to help, if you are not on the fb page now is the time

350 people.....grabouw and s/west

guys things are hotting up again.

got permission to undo the lock.

later

I,m  not convinced by the arson theory, more likely caused by the amount of rubbish people leave in the mountains like glass bottles etc, if you use the mountains have a bit of respect and take your rubbish home with you, rant over.

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

If you are more curious about this kinda stuff and all the fires currently raging in SA (and broader) here is the sight for you. Play around with some of the features, they are rather awesome.

http://southernafrica.afis.co.za/

I went and had a look at this - pretty slick! Also downloaded the smartphone app, which is very cool.

Although I live in KZN, my parents are in the Somerset Retirement Estate near Schapenberg, so there is obviously a good incentive to try and stay up to date from afar.

Here are two screenshots taken this afternoon: the first just after 15h00 , and the second about 3 hours later.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170105/035350d547f33a54564e639cc370c705.png

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170105/334350393fc8b74a4b2b5a7ec957c281.png

It looks like it is abating in this area ... is it?

Willem

Fat Bastard, your folks are safe.

The fire is mainly on vergelgen and its horrible.

The fire was abating, but a south easter has started blowing and the fire is changing direction again and picking up. 

Archived