2017 Tour De PPA funride and League

LeoKnight

Post by the PPA:

The PPA League had its challenges this year and we are certainly taking away a lot of lessons from it. It was unfortunate that some issues were only raised after Event 4, outside of the official channels, as specified by the league rules.  The way I see it, all riders and affiliated personnel had the opportunity to study the league rules, the league format and raise any objections before paying the league fee and crossing the start line of the first league event in October 2016.

PPA had the league rules and format signed off by Western Cape Cycling, as per the channels of reporting recommended to us by CSA. In other words, we asked CSA in a meeting in 2015 with whom we should engage on all matters and we were instructed to deal with WC Cycling.  WC Cycling would then disseminate information to the regional bodies, again as per the agreement with CSA. PPA is the League organiser and the Commissaires are appointed to enforce the rules consistently and fairly.

The issues that arose after Event 4 were due to the lack of consistent rule enforcement by the Commissaires. This was confirmed and accepted by Denis Human and Mike Bradley, both of whom I met with during the SA Road Champs to discuss the matters raised with them.

In addition, had the issues that led to the re-allocation of riders to new categories after Event 4 been brought to our attention at, or prior to, the start of the league, I am confident that we could have sorted this out with CSA within hours. Our league rules made allowance for the league running from 2016 into 2017 and for riders to remain in their categories, and this was accepted as such by all before the league started.

What happened before the Tour de PPA was most unfortunate, and was not a decision made by PPA. The Commissaires contacted the office late on Friday afternoon before the event, asking us to make category changes. We had to let the riders know, but in hindsight, the Commissaires should have sent the email to the riders, not PPA. And the complainant should have raised the issue in January 2017 when licenses had to be renewed in time for the League event No.4 ,or at the start of the league. Why wait until the end of the League?

What lessons has PPA learnt from this League, and what will we implement going forward?

1. We will not organise another League to span 2 calendar years. The next League, if it happens, will start and finish in (Spring) 2017.
  2. If there are not enough funrides that could take a racing element, additional events like circuit racing, hill climbs and/or time trials will be added to ensure that there are enough events to run a proper League in the same year.
  3. If Category racing is now preferred (over age group riding) by the majority of riders, we will implement it.
  4. The Commissaires and CSA will administer the rules consistently from the first event to the last.
  5. We will compile a Code of Conduct that will govern all riders, as well as managers and officials.

Before the middle of the year, we will convene a League workshop. We will ask riders, managers and officials to each elect a representative that will join us around the table to put together a format that is agreed to by the majority.

In the meantime, I would ask that league participants and interested PPA members please send us your comments and suggestions, in preparation for the workshop. Please add your contact details, in case we need to refer back to you for clarification. Send all emails to: leagues@pedalpower.org.za

Let’s all work together on getting it right.

Yours in cycling

Robert

EDIT: added two paragraphs at the start

thanks for this - this was my mail - hope it offers some workable suggestions:

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: league cat!

Date: 01 March 2017 at 5:47:55 PM SAST

To: leagues@pedalpower.org.za

Hi League sub committee,

Make it simple and I believe CSA will allow this formula as they do allow it for themselves examples - SA madison (open) championship, 25 mile Paarl boxing day etc.

1. Do not have an Elite league (this is a UCI category - semantics) - call it an open league. Cyclist are allowed to ride this Open league by seeding / race distance i.e. if all the races in the PPA series do not go over UCI Junior distance then Juniors can ride on there restricted gears. Open would probably be anyone with an A to C seeding or motivation letter and over the age of 16 / 17 years old (not sure what Junior is).

2. Have scholars league as per UCI rules and if the Open league has a race above UCI Junior race distance then have a junior league.

3. Have Vets league 30 plus, 40 plus etc. If a 50 year old wants too and qualities by seeding to ride the open league - the choice is in his hand.

4. Does it really matter if a person move between league cat during a season - if a person does are they likely to win enough point to win the league in any cat? If not why not allow it at an administration / number cost. Different horses for different courses. On a personal level if I were ever to ride the PPA leagues again I would like to ride the flat league races if any in an Open cat and the Mountainous ones in the 40 plus vets cat. Why should this be an issue if I still had an A to C seeding?

Regards

Peter Wheeler

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks for this - this was my mail - hope it offers some workable suggestions:

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: league cat!

Date: 01 March 2017 at 5:47:55 PM SAST

To: leagues@pedalpower.org.za

Hi League sub committee,

Make it simple and I believe CSA will allow this formula as they do allow it for themselves examples - SA madison (open) championship, 25 mile Paarl boxing day etc.

1. Do not have an Elite league (this is a UCI category - semantics) - call it an open league. Cyclist are allowed to ride this Open league by seeding / race distance i.e. if all the races in the PPA series do not go over UCI Junior distance then Juniors can ride on there restricted gears. Open would probably be anyone with an A to C seeding or motivation letter and over the age of 16 / 17 years old (not sure what Junior is).

2. Have scholars league as per UCI rules and if the Open league has a race above UCI Junior race distance then have a junior league.

3. Have Vets league 30 plus, 40 plus etc. If a 50 year old wants too and qualities by seeding to ride the open league - the choice is in his hand.

4. Does it really matter if a person move between league cat during a season - if a person does are they likely to win enough point to win the league in any cat? If not why not allow it at an administration / number cost. Different horses for different courses. On a personal level if I were ever to ride the PPA leagues again I would like to ride the flat league races if any in an Open cat and the Mountainous ones in the 40 plus vets cat. Why should this be an issue if I still had an A to C seeding?

Regards

Peter Wheeler

Peter, its not PPA/CSA that have the issue with people changing cats, its some "pros". They feel its not fair a VET raced in VETS at SA champs but then can race elite at PPA. 

I doubt the PPA care who races where, hell they would be happiest if everyone was in alphabet soup which is closer to category racing than the current age grouping.  

Might be a dumb question....if you convert PPA seeding to Winter league where about will you put CAT3?

H - Z plus any rider who is a master ie 50 plus years of age.

Peter, its not PPA/CSA that have the issue with people changing cats, its some "pros". They feel its not fair a VET raced in VETS at SA champs but then can race elite at PPA. 

I doubt the PPA care who races where, hell they would be happiest if everyone was in alphabet soup which is closer to category racing than the current age grouping.  

Look as much as I like your comment about Alphabet soup etc . I am really hoping PPA does care and appreciate the only way the Western Cape Riders improve themselves is having the best at the time regardless of age racing the best. This is why our Western Cape Juniors have gone on to world tour teams.

Having 1 rider with good watts (horse power) does not improve the bunch - it's having several riders. This is why in recent times the Cape Town Cycle tour $ group has not only got line honors but also beaten the all categories including tandems on time.

CSA has rules handed to them and Elite has a meaning likewise does Open in UCI context.

the local csa representatives would never have signed off the ppa league rules. pity they dont to talk to them. ppa only want to deal with CSA head office directly. Rob Vogel deflecting the ppa's shortcomings onto CSA. PPA went to court to stop csa interfering in their activities - and now they get CSA to "sign off" their league.  bunch of hypocrites and liars

#yawn

I now given some good idea to PPA as they invited requested them (how many other do you think have) - I am not against PPA - just the seem idiotic to me most of the time!!!!

iCycling

It'll be hard for PPA to take on your ideas because of the legacy of your relationship - struggle, conflict and tension?

Maybe send your ideas to someone else who may have influence or can open their ears?

Those are cool ideas. ????????

iCycling

It'll be hard for PPA to take on your ideas because of the legacy of your relationship - struggle, conflict and tension?

Maybe send your ideas to someone else who may have influence or can open their ears?

Those are cool ideas.

I have put them on the hub - so anybody else can also send (or part there off) if they like them. Maybe they can re word them in better English too!!

I have put them on the hub - so anybody else can also send (or part there off) if they like them. Maybe they can re word them in better English too!!

Awesome.

Keep on bringing those gems if you can.

Archived