2017 Tour De PPA funride and League

LeoKnight

I must have been riding with you at different points in the I race - was also riding at my max at times to hold on and seems i finished 30 secs back... Must thank Ryan and the guys in black with the green stripes (think Aayuni) for helping to jump up different groups at different points in time. 

If Ryan is on the hub what bike was he riding? Someone said specialized but couldn't see any branding so thought maybe chinese carbon

Cool! You on strava? I was really struggling the last few rollers. Got dropped by a few bike lengths only to make it up again on the downhill.

And yes, those Aayuni guys were strong. Chatted to one, but couldn't hear the club name.

Not sure if Ryan is on the hub. Chatted to him from the finish to the race course. Not sure about his bike, but all black clothes and big as a block! I also wore black, but much more skinny.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice report AndyDude - looking on Strava I see you I guys really rode an excellent race - those lines start behind mine by 2 minutes and just skyrocket through - and that's the main I group I'm looking at and I think you were off with the leaders of I.

It's all such lekker fun.

The riders were greeted with a beautiful morning, registration was quick and then waited for my group I to start.

Moved along next to the "older" Savages and thought that I just don't want to be caught by them! Think they started somewhere between J, K or L as they thrmselves seemed unsure!

Ryan Gomes (with his disel engine) and the Aayuni Optical sponsored team (in green) were pushing the pace and by the top of Tiekies/Ntida there were only about 7/8 riders which crested together!

On the Conters rollers we started catching some dropped H guys, and that's where we caught the Mamil! Vissershok was done at a more respectable speed and it was great to see Dale close to the top. Split up, three of us continued with the smell of H in the air.

We caught up with a small H group in the backstreets of Durbanville and continued to push the pace with them on Wellington Road.

By the fruitsellers stop the other front I riders caught up again and then we were about 10 I and 10 H chasing.

That's when the famous gutter of the R312 started! It was hard, doubly so, because we could see the large H bunch and wanted to bridge before the R44.

And we managed to catch the main H, which seemed to have caught a lot of G guys as well, just before the R44 left turn. I rode at 98% of threshold for those 30 minutes from the stop to the R44!

From the start my average heartrate of threshold was 95% after 1h40 and as you can imagine, I was a bit knackered by then!

That's when I had to try and "recover". I drafted (some call it wheelsucking?!) unashamedly in this big group of probably around 100 riders and although the legs hurt, could manage with them.

The pace was good coming back towards Durbanville and there were no real problems. Turning onto Adderley and up the first climb started splitting the bunch and I just had my head down and trying to push on.

There were about 6 I's left in the front. Afterwards I would realise there was another I which went up the road somewhere which I can't remember. Might be because I was seeing stars and not much else.

I was hanging on over the penulimate climb/roller and this being my home town I knew the finish very well. Don't try to go early, if you even can go. So I followed and the last drag took care of most guys, and yes, then I sprinted the last 100 meters to take the group. Yes, I sprinted in I! Suck it!

But like I said, only after the results were released did I realise there was another I about 2 minutes in front.

Great ride, great morning, and well done to all!

My stats:

Distance 106.7k
Elevation 1097m (corrected on Strava)
Time 3h18
Heart rate average 158
Percentage of threshold 95%
Heart rate max. 189 (highest ever)
Cadence 95

Cool

my brother was supposed to be riding there as well, wondering if that a good thing or bad thing that he didn't pitch #eina

my brother was supposed to be riding there as well, wondering if that a good thing or bad thing that he didn't pitch #eina

Yip

Sold him my race entry

Was looking for him up Vissers Walk

Really cool - thanks!

Are you part of them? Great bunch of guys.

Yes i am, unfortunately I'm not the most(read least) active amongst the photos/rides/races, i do however spend most my time here on the bike hub :blush:

Yip

Sold him my race entry

Was looking for him up Vissers Walk

he's big day coming soon, so more fun times coming! :whistling:

So after the CEO previous news letter about road bike events not been well supported - well 1468 entries on the race tec result at about R12 000.00 for timing (PPA website on where the money goes). Maybe it should be pointed out to the CEO that ZERO PPA MTB event come close to this number entries on race tec results at R10 000.00.

When will PPA wake up?

#yawn

Dont wanna turn a positive thread into a friday thread, but what the hell happened to the league.

apparently riders DQ'ed for riding in different age categories etc etc..

Man, i grew up in the era where Moolies won every bloody race as an elite even though he was eligable to ride probably VB

What the hell has changed? 

I, and pretty much all of us i would presume, wanna race again our strongest competion, dont we?

Dont wanna turn a positive thread into a friday thread, but what the hell happened to the league.

apparently riders DQ'ed for riding in different age categories etc etc..

Man, i grew up in the era where Moolies won every bloody race as an elite even though he was eligable to ride probably VB

What the hell has changed? 

I, and pretty much all of us i would presume, wanna race again our strongest competion, dont we?

You need to bring a little more facts to the party here.

I saw there was an issue with the CSA rules stating that you had to ride in the age cat that your racing license is taken under. So if you register as a VET you must race in CSA events in VET. You can however change once a year. 

Only reason this is an issue apparently is that SA champs was in WC and everyone bought SA licenses for their age CAT, then raced the next league race without changing back to elite. 

Or thats what I have gathered from people's rants on Facebook on the subject.

Avoided the entire problem this weekend by not forking out the extra R200 for this weekends race.

You need to bring a little more facts to the party here.

I saw there was an issue with the CSA rules stating that you had to ride in the age cat that your racing license is taken under. So if you register as a VET you must race in CSA events in VET. You can however change once a year. 

Only reason this is an issue apparently is that SA champs was in WC and everyone bought SA licenses for their age CAT, then raced the next league race without changing back to elite. 

Or thats what I have gathered from people's rants on Facebook on the subject.

Avoided the entire problem this weekend by not forking out the extra R200 for this weekends race.

I have no facts, hence my query.

But what you said makes sense, thanks for clearing up!

All can be avoided if we have strength based CATS, im going to support the WPCA league this winter! Seems like they have a winning combo at the moment

I have no facts, hence my query.

But what you said makes sense, thanks for clearing up!

All can be avoided if we have strength based CATS, im going to support the WPCA league this winter! Seems like they have a winning combo at the moment

I was just wondering if CSA acted on the age group thing and DQ'ed people, did not hear any thing about it. 

The WPCA works well if you buy a timing chip  :whistling:  :whistling:  Otherwise you start in Cat 3  :ph34r:

Geez what a race!!! Extremely chuffed that I managed a Pb and a 8th position in my group. Taking the bend a bit too wide whilst turning onto Vissers cost me the front few positions which I desperately needed to hang onto to go up Vissers with. I managed to hold on for dear life thankfully and stayed with my bunch though Then at about 60kms just couldn't hold on and lost the bunch but fortunately a strong F group rider said hold on and took me to the bunch, a big big thanks to him. Come Adderley street and that's where the true testing began.I held on, held on again then held on some more and eventually the finish line came. THANK GOD Finished with a Pb of 3:11:39 and exact same time as 6th and 7th position as well

Archived