9-speed hub compatible with 10- and 11-speed?

Nuffy

After about 15 years of singlespeeding I’ve finally got a bike with gears again. I bought it second-hand, and it looks like the chain and/or cassette are worn and will need to be replaced. It’s a 2×9 setup, and that suits me, so I’ll probably just get a 9-speed XT cassette and a couple of chains. Seems to be the best value for money option, and the gear range suits me. (I think it was probably a 3×9 originally, but the big ring has been replaced with a bash ring.)

But, for the future, will I be able to just pop on a 10-speed cassette instead? (Assuming I change the derailleur and shifter too, obviously.) Or is the freewheel body spacing or spline pattern different? The hub is a Sun Ringlé − not sure which model.

I’m trying to catch up on 15 years of tech development as quickly as I can − clutch derailleurs, NW chainrings, boost spacing… it’s an exciting and confusing new world! And expensive − I remember why I went singlespeed in the first place, especially with all this chain slip, bad shifting, etc. None of that with my fat BMX chains, even with really worn chainrings.

Also, I assume that SRAM 9-speed is compatible with Shimano 9-speed, 10-speed with 10-speed, etc? I have SRAM X9 shifters, X0 rear derailleur, and Shimano XT front derailleur, but the Shimano chain and cassette options seem to be easier to get here and good value for money, particularly in the 9-speed range.

Oh, and the singlespeeds are not going anywhere… I still love them and will keep using them.

SRAM and Shimano cassettes are cross compatible, but not shifters and mechs. SRAM works 1:1 and Shimano 2:1 cable pull from the shifter to mech.

Front mechs are bodgeable between the two big S'S, but not ideal. PM me if you do decide to go 10 speed or something, I might have a SRAM front mech for you

Thanks Kalahari Vegmot. I thought I looked for previous threads, but obviously not very hard! There’s some useful info there.

Thanks for the info and the offer. I’ll keep that in mind. 

Your 9 speed freewheel body should accommodate a 10spd cassette just fine.

10 spd chain has the same inner width but narrower outer width so it will run on 9spd chainrings but I don't know how well it will shift on the 9 spd fd and cranks.

You can't mix a SRAM shifter with a Shimano derailleur and vice versa but chains and cassettes no problem because chain width and gear spacing is identical in the 9, 10 and 11 speed systems.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

But, for the future, will I be able to just pop on a 10-speed cassette instead? 

YES. 11 speed as well, as long as it's not one of SRAM's XD Driver cassettes, which have a different standard. In short, you're good for everything 9/10/11 except the XX1/X01/X1 11 speed cassettes. 

Also, I assume that SRAM 9-speed is compatible with Shimano 9-speed, 10-speed with 10-speed, etc? I have SRAM X9 shifters, X0 rear derailleur, and Shimano XT front derailleur, but the Shimano chain and cassette options seem to be easier to get here and good value for money, particularly in the 9-speed range.

In terms of mixing SRAM cassette with Shimano gearing and vice versa, yes. Mixing SRAM shifter & shimano RD & vice versa, not so unless you get all DIY with the RD (not recommended unless you're good with your hands)

Mixing SRAM shifter & shimano RD & vice versa, not so unless you get all DIY with the RD (not recommended unless you're good with your hands)

Please explain. Is this done with the Jtech thingy or bodging the hell out of the mech?

Archived