Help needed - Mountain Bike (used) <R7k

ChaseTheAce

Hi All

I'm new with regards to whats good/not-good about mountain bikes. My previous bike was from +/-2004 era (Giant Rincon), so I'm quite behind in the times. I am looking for a decent second hand bike, but need help with the selection.

I'm looking for a mountain bike <R7k (prefer around the R5k mark).

I plan on riding it up the mountains and on single track. I also need it for the 24 hour Oke Valley event coming up soon :eek:, and will also use this for the Argus (will fit it with slicks), but the road cycling will be very limited. I would like to enter into more mountain bike events.

I am 1.79 cm tall, male, 70kg's, located around Cape Town. 

Please could you make suggestions of what bikes I should look at as well as what bikes/components I should stay clear of.

It might be worthwhile doing a search in leHub's forums; this gets asked every second day...

Was hoping somebody in the know could rattle off a quick list as a benchmark to work off ;)

I would suggest you look in the classified section. when you see something you like, refer it here and we can give you a verdict. Otherwise its like asking which is the best car to buy. the question is very subjective due to the diverse nature of cycling as a sport.

Generally all brands are ok except anything from makro/game. :thumbdown:

Shimano or Sram compononets are all good. You might get some Suntour components at lower level bikes which is not too bad but rather get something with Shimano deore and up or Sram X5 and up.

Good luck :thumbup:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/153715-new-to-mtb/?hl=first+mtb

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/154931-first-mtb-new-or-second-hand/?hl=first+mtb

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/160561-please-advice-a-rookie-on-buying-his-first-mtb/?hl=first+mtb

go to a decent bike shop and ask your questions you aren't obliged to buy anything (even the weekend warriors had to start somewhere once theres no shame)

don't go to makro etc

if you decide to go second hand (on the classifieds on here for example)find a mate who knows more than you to go along or ask on here (with specs or link to ad) for opinions on the bike before you buy

you are a bit limited at 5k but id suggest you look for a 29er if you want to ride it on the road in the ctct

Edited by bikebloke

A friend of mine recently picked up a R13k MTB with decent spec components and good fork for R8k at an LBS nearby you. LBS is clearing 2016 stock. He picked up a perfectly capable bike for his GF a month later for R4800.

It's worthwhile speaking to someone at a LBS, telling them:

1. What you want

2. What you want to do with it and

3. Your price range.

You will be surprised at how helpful some people can be (or the very opposite, luck of the draw really) and SOMETIMES you get a deal better than some 2nd hand deals, if you like the peace of mind of having something new, unused and problem free.

Myself on the other hand, I picked up a bike valued at R29k for R10k - so you might want to waste a few days of your life browsing the classifieds for the sake of picking up an amazing deal :P

-but that is what it takes. Hunt the classifieds because a good deal will disappear in under 2mins. That, or visit a nice bike shop and ask for exactly what you want within your means.

Hope you come right soon.

PS:

stay clear of:

a. 8-speed components (9-speed Alivio and Acera prove to work very well, but anything Deore or better is win)

b. entry level forks, like the SR Suntours that come on most inexpensive bikes. They work but you can get better for similar money IMO

c. V-brakes and cable discs. You want hydraulic disc brakes on the mountain (I've got cable discs set up very well on my road bike, but I trust the hydros on my MTB a lot more just because of how I understand things)

I have done this just the other day. No biking for more than 20 years. Asking and checking reviews I decided on a budget. I got the Gumtree and Olx app. I set up alerts for my bike choices. Some alerts were specific. They were Sola 4 and a Scott Scale 40. More general was Silverback. I got a very decent Sola 4 at R6500. Not bad at all. I think. But you may have a much higher budget. BTW. The experts like my bike shop told me to rather buy a second hand bike at R10000 rather than a new one at R10000. That made sense to me. Even if I need upgrade derailuers or other.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help and pointing me in the right direction. My research is lining up with above suggestions. Lekker 

b. entry level forks, like the SR Suntours that come on most inexpensive bikes. They work but you can get better for similar money IMO

c. Xct, xcm. Not so good. Xcr better, raidon ideal epicon perfect. Suntour shocks alot cheaper to repair /service than rock shox ir fox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chat to Mark from Marks bicycle workshop in Bellville he has tour bikes that's been on a tour and then sold as used but still like new for around R6k merida and giant 29ers. Just a thought

Chat to Mark from Marks bicycle workshop in Bellville he has tour bikes that's been on a tour and then sold as used but still like new for around R6k merida and giant 29ers. Just a thought

That could be a good bet