[Event] Magalies MTB Classic

ruan botes

Event Name: Magalies MTB Classic
When: 11 February 2017
Where: Steineck Lodge, Rustenburg, North West
Category: MTB

New trails around Magalies Mountain Range.

Flat and fast route on newly cut out single track will bring interesting racing on the circular routes.

65Km - 07H00

Expecting winning time

Male- 2H30min

Female - 3H10Min

30Km - 07H30

Expecting winning time

Male - 1H05Min

Female - 1H25min

10Km - 08H00

Expecting winning time

Male - 30min

Female - 45Min

Price Giving - 10H00

Go to Event Page

You are going to have the purists hot under the collar for calling a new event a CLASSIC....

All the best with organising and hosting

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Who's doing this?

Anyone have any more details other than the distance? 

Wife and I doing the 65km. Wife chatted to one of the organisers and he said it would be flat (less than 300m gain - they do not have a route profile). The race is not over the mountain but around it. But for the first part mud should not be a problem. See you there!

First race I've done where they explain that the major "climb" is a bridge over the main road! Well organised, but the route could do with some improvements. About 20 of the 65km was over freshly cut, bumpy grass... Not my idea of fun

No results so far, have been e-mailing everyone from the organizers to race time. Seems they have your money so there is no rush now till next year. Not even a coffee stand at the race venue ????

Done the 65km.

Some of my issues:

1. Route - do not mind to ride on grass but seeing the stumbs that were left of the short grass is not my part of fun and doing this for 20km or so is not on. Some instances there were some traces of a footpath/single track visible but not opened up. Seems the instruction was just to cut the grass short.

2. Facilities - Hardly anything at the start apart from just number collection and some or other potatoe swirl that is fried in oil with seasoning salt; nothing else. The 4x4 event on the same venue was a life saver as there was a food stall. A Lapa with cooldrinks and beer with a place to sit was welcome.  This was not far from the MTB event and the music was a drawcard to investigate. The mobile toilets at the start were horrible. These toilets were not the same spec as found on some events, basically just a moulding with a pit.

Suggestions to above mentioned issues:

1. Put in some extra effort to remove the grass stumps will be a huge improvement. I do know that it is not always possible with private land but an attempt here or there will be welcome.

2. Use the same facilities as what the 4x4 guys used, just make sure there is no clash with the two events. The start and finish could be held there, no need for mobile toilets thus somewhat of a cost saving. The venue owners could do the catering thus generating some extra cash for them.

This event can grow even as a family event or for new people who wants to try out MTB'ing as a sport with a flat route.

Done the 65km.

Some of my issues:

1. Route - do not mind to ride on grass but seeing the stumbs that were left of the short grass is not my part of fun and doing this for 20km or so is not on. Some instances there were some traces of a footpath/single track visible but not opened up. Seems the instruction was just to cut the grass short.

2. Facilities - Hardly anything at the start apart from just number collection and some or other potatoe swirl that is fried in oil with seasoning salt; nothing else. The 4x4 event on the same venue was a life saver as there was a food stall. A Lapa with cooldrinks and beer with a place to sit was welcome.  This was not far from the MTB event and the music was a drawcard to investigate. The mobile toilets at the start were horrible. These toilets were not the same spec as found on some events, basically just a moulding with a pit.

Suggestions to above mentioned issues:

1. Put in some extra effort to remove the grass stumps will be a huge improvement. I do know that it is not always possible with private land but an attempt here or there will be welcome.

2. Use the same facilities as what the 4x4 guys used, just make sure there is no clash with the two events. The start and finish could be held there, no need for mobile toilets thus somewhat of a cost saving. The venue owners could do the catering thus generating some extra cash for them.

This event can grow even as a family event or for new people who wants to try out MTB'ing as a sport with a flat route.

+1