Lightweight Knee Pads

B1cyk1ll3r

How does the Fox compare? Also looking for a pair and am pretty clueless as to what's what. Info so far's been helpful

If knee pads tear after a single  crash they are probably not built tough enough.

I have the older 661 Kyle Strait pads. They are now over 3 years old and the only part that is failing is the weaker elasticized side areas which sometimes catch on the frame and such like. The fronts of teh pad is covered with kevlar or something similar and simply does not tear. (I have tested them quite a few times in case you were wondering)

I"ve got those KS 661's as well and have had a couple of 'newer' tech ones but keep coming back the Kyles. They are a brilliant pad and just refuse to die (or stink!). 

I use the Fox Launch Enduro knee pad which I find relatively lightweight. They are the only pair I have owned so don't have anything to compare it to, but my thoughts are they fit comfortably but get very warm on a longer ride. I also don't think they will offer much protection in a proper off in a rock garden for example, but offer decent enough protection for a slide out type off. Certainly no hardshell in them!

My interest has recently turned to the Leatt Airflex Pro pads https://www.leatt.com/shop/body-protection/knee-leg-3df-soft/knee-guard-airflex-pro.html

Available locally, seem to have a more protection than the Fox pads I have and appear to be relatively lightweight. Interested if anyone has used/is using these

I have conducted extensive crash testing on two products. The KS 661's (soft but DH worthy) and the 661 Recon's lightweight pads. The results are as follows. The KS pads stay in place better and offer far more protection which stands to reason.  

The Recon's have fancy impact hardening rubber which actually works pretty well. The problem is how they stay in place and the fact that a rubber outer tends to grip rather than slide - (the KS pads have kevlar cloth which slides). In short they move too easily and you get hurt because the padding isn't where it should be. I raced an enduro in them and will never do that again. Strictly for light trail riding and to keep the knees warm :-) 

I was in the same boat about a month ago, bought a pair of 661 Rage knee pads from the classifieds, extremely happy with the fit and feel, going to give them a go this weekend at DRI, will give feedback afterwards.

Also look at the Leatt Hybrid pads, I believe they are comfortable and offer great protection.

• 4 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread here.

Looking for some knee pads, must be light I intend on wearing them for each and every ride. 
(My last wipe out was during the most laid back of rides).

Tried on the Fox Enduro Pro and they are super comfortable, but weary of the fabric ripping after one fall? 
https://www.outdoorescape.co.za/product-page/fox-enduro-pro-knee-guard

Also tried the Leat Airflex pro, but the gap behind the knee seems to sit a little loose and seems like that would become annoying during a long ride,
https://www.outdoorescape.co.za/product-page/leatt-airflex-pro

Any other recommendations from the Hub?

2 hours ago, Blurtrc said:

Hi I use and can recommend Gform knee pads

I have similar pair, but the lycra material rips fairly easily, and same goes for the materials on the fox enduro seems to tear very easily.

Both feel light enough qnd doesn't slip down while peddling,  but both not very hard wearing