Lightweight Knee Pads

B1cyk1ll3r

Im trying to decide between the Leatt 3DF 5.0 and the 661 Rage knee pads.

Can anyone here own either of these and can give some thoughts on use so far?

http://cdn.dialdbikes.co.za/images/thumbnails/465/465/detailed/3/knee_guard_3df_5.0_blue_orange_side_1.jpg?t=1481025822http://cdn.dialdbikes.co.za/images/thumbnails/1300/1300/detailed/3/apparel_1300x1191__0063_661-rage_kneepad-front-7129-05.jpg?t=1480965378

Buy both donate one you don't like to me?

I have 661 elbow's with hard shell and I love them.

I dream at night about the 3df Hybrid tho.

Good Luck

I have/had the Leatt 3DF 5.0, they are comfy and protect you well when crashing. I now have the Troy Lee Raid pads which the internet raves about, they are warmer but better in most other aspects.

I will however not recommend them as they are not durable at all. Mine are completely torn after one crash and Leatt does not stand behind their product to replace or repair them.

I will however not recommend them as they are not durable at all. Mine are completely torn after one crash and Leatt does not stand behind their product to replace or repair them.

So you expect replacement kneepads if you tear them? That doesn't sound like a very sustainable business model to me.

You should get hardshell kneepads if you have an issue with tearing.

@the OP. I've had the 661's not the Leatts but people I know who have the Leatts are very happy with them. The 661's are also great IMO.

So you expect replacement kneepads if you tear them? That doesn't sound like a very sustainable business model to me.

@the OP. I've had the 661's not the Leatts but people I know who have the Leatts are very happy with them. The 661's are also great IMO.

whenever there's a discussion on knee pads, your mate Dominic always springs to mind. how is he doing?

For anyone considering knee pads without hard shells in the construction of the pad somewhere, I'd love to introduce you to Duane's mate Dominic.

I have the Leatt knee pads, and the older style 661 Rage knee pads. 

The 661 are definitely more robust, and will last longer. The Leatt are more comfortable and I use them almost exclusively for this reason. 

whenever there's a discussion on knee pads, your mate Dominic always springs to mind. how is he doing?

For anyone considering knee pads without hard shells in the construction of the pad somewhere, I'd love to introduce you to Duane's mate Dominic.

He's doing fine. After multiple surgeries.

He's doing fine. After multiple surgeries.

Does he ride as much as he used to? Just thinking about that X-ray of his, which someone shared on FB back then, gives me instant patella pain. thing looked like a jigsaw puzzle.

If knee pads tear after a single  crash they are probably not built tough enough.

I have the older 661 Kyle Strait pads. They are now over 3 years old and the only part that is failing is the weaker elasticized side areas which sometimes catch on the frame and such like. The fronts of teh pad is covered with kevlar or something similar and simply does not tear. (I have tested them quite a few times in case you were wondering)

Chose 1 - light weight and breathable vs tough and durable protection

Edited by Headshot

These aren't  my first pair of kneepads and they (Leatt) are not durable. I did like them while they worked ( < 6 months).

• 4 months later...

Am also looking for knee pads, how are the 661 rage pads going , any other suggestions and also where to get pads?

Funny timing this.. Literally busy trying to find a decent pair of hardshell or plastic cap knee pads with side cushioning as well.. 

Like ION K Pact, Fox Launch Pro, 7iDP Flex etc.. but not easy to find locally to fit before buying (have tried Fox and their biggest size is too small)...

Did i make a mistake ordering IXS Flow knee pads? :D First set of pads i've ever needed/ordered.. Never seen them in person. Wont use them for XC stuff at all but if I do enduro events or ride more hectic trails with jumps and drops. Perhaps maybe should have gone for something with a bit more protection? 

Anyone seen/used them? Opinion on not going for a hardshell? Good reviews online but perhaps from people wanting a bit of protection on more mellow trails..,

• 1 month later...

I have been wanting to invest in some knee pads for some time now but with vast variety out there i just gave up trying to decide which one. Was really keen on the Leatt pads but from the above responses, i don't think they are a viable option

Interested to hear the OPs review on the 661 pads.

Who else is using what out there?