Where to get a CKT 398 SL derailleur hanger?

Eon du Plessis

So hopefully I'm posting this in the right section of the forum.

I have a CKT 398 SL and I managed to bend the derailleur hanger slightly. It's still mostly functional but I can't get the indexing on the gears right, and I don't want to risk straightening it without a backup.

Now, CKT are, as far as I know, currently in a state of flux regarding the distributor in SA. The person who had the license passed away last year sometime, and the importing license hasn't found a new home yet, it seems.

The manufacturer's website is pretty dreadful without contact details. I've sent them messages on their Facebook page, inquiring as to where I can purchase a DR hanger, but no response.

So, does anyone in hubland perhaps know where I can pick up an appropriate DR hanger for this frame?

Can you post a pic of the hanger?

Sometimes with a slight mode another manufacturer hanger could work.

Alternatively a engineering shop can make you one if you cant come rite anywhere.

Can you post a pic of the hanger?

Sometimes with a slight mode another manufacturer hanger could work.

Alternatively a engineering shop can make you one if you cant come rite anywhere.

Will do. The bike is currently at a shop but I'll take a pic when I pick it up.

Have you tried looking online at overseas shops? Have you contacted CKT directly? I am not even sure where they are from.

I had a similar issue with ROLF wheels recently, No more local distributor. Contacted them directly in USA and was able to order the spokes I needed and Yes shipping was a little bit expensive but at least I got the correct original spokes needed.

Long Shot for you - is it perhaps not the same as found on some of the Matrix frames.

(I think their tandems are the same, if not similar)

Try Solomons in Woodmead, take your hangar there.  They have a fair selection of generic hangars (all shapes and sizes) that they bring in and sell, you might get lucky and be able to match something similar.

I have had success twice, once for a Marcello frame and once for a generic Chinese carbon frame. 

Is CKT not just a branded Chinese frame?

Should be easy to get a hanger

Take it off and place a picture here or take it to LBS

Is CKT not just a branded Chinese frame?

Should be easy to get a hanger

Take it off and place a picture here or take it to LBS

There are two CKTs, from what I gather. One is Chinese and one is Spanish or something ("CKT by Virenque") and manufactured in Taiwan.

I've tried contacting them but no luck.

I'll take the hanger off and post a picture. Why these things aren't standardise in some way, I'll never know!

There are two CKTs, from what I gather. One is Chinese and one is Spanish or something ("CKT by Virenque") and manufactured in Taiwan.

I've tried contacting them but no luck.

I'll take the hanger off and post a picture. Why these things aren't standardise in some way, I'll never know!

Generally they are standard and not really specific to a frame or maker... hence why I say take your hangar to an LBS like Solomons who bring in probably 30 different types of hangars... and am sure you will be able to match it... then buy a spare!

Generally they are standard and not really specific to a frame or maker... hence why I say take your hangar to an LBS like Solomons who bring in probably 30 different types of hangars... and am sure you will be able to match it... then buy a spare!

A spare? I'll buy 4 of the damn things.

Derailleur hangers do bend from time to time, and bend back easily. I can't see it failing. I've bent mine back quite a few times, without any problems

Right, image attached. You can see why the hanger is slightly bent. Thank you illegal-u-turn-performing-idiot. Wish the hanger was the least of the damage, but fortunately there is insurance.

So I went to Solomons and they were out of a generic one similar to this. They are receiving new ones next week though.

Apparently, if it's not an exact match, you can just file down the difference. I don't really see a problem with that as it's probably similar to what an engineering shop would do. 

An exact fit is still first prize, obviously.

post-66664-0-34186100-1485604058_thumb.jpg

Archived