Cyclists down on bottelary road, stellenbosch

andydude

RIP Gregory

WC traffic chief  @KennyAfrica  gave out his ph no on Cape Talk asking people to ph him to report drunks

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can lawyers in all their conscience (yes, I believe there is such a thing) act on behalf of such people who behave like this??

That is their job, like it or not everyone is entitled to fair representation no matter what the crime.

Hi all, myself and a few friends were out on the road at about 5:50, saw quite a few drunk drivers on the road,we even saw guys parked off on the side of the road next to Radish Restaurant drinking beers playing music loud, my question is were are the cops when you need them. It's not the 1st time I have come across this behaviour on Bottleray road. May the fellow cyclist RIP and strength goes out to his family & friends

If you do not report it they will not know, the police and Traffic department are way understaffed for active visible policing, that is what the traffic cops just sit behind cameras. But in all honesty, if you don't report nefarious activity they will never know.

:angry:  This sort of thing is happening far too often...one of the reasons is that our laws are too lenient and or there is not enough ability or will to investigate these incidents and prosecute.

Not so much a case of too lenient, as rather no enforcement. If the enforcement was there things would change.

Eg, you could apply the death penalty, but if 99% of the populace believe they will not get caught the death penalty means nothing.

this is unfortunately the problem with law enforcement (or lack thereof) in SA. 

Seems confirmed on WC MTB Facebook page that one rider died. Also that people have photos of the vehicle which was chased as far as Kraaifontein before it was lost.

Nothing's going to change because there are no proper consequences. Even more, there's no attempt at prevention of drunk driving etc.

What's the answer???

A friend was killed out running by a guy hitting him on the wrong side of the road from behind. Driver first claimed he wasn't driving then tried to run away. Was prosecuted and given 7 years but appealed and it was reduced to 18 months. Some **** about the magistrate being biased against him.

How can lawyers in all their conscience (yes, I believe there is such a thing) act on behalf of such people who behave like this??

That is their job, like it or not everyone is entitled to fair representation no matter what the crime.

In what world is this considered "Fair"???

In what world is this considered "Fair"???

Don't conflate issues.

The law is the law and everyone is innocent until proven guilty. This sits uneasy with us from our biased point of view, but consider the other parties point of view. Not saying it is right, but there are always 3 sides to an argument and always mitigation circumstances.

So Everyone is entitled to fair representation and if the judge was found to be biased or whatever other extenuating circumstances there could be they all have to be considered.

Not saying it sits right with me, but it is what it is.

The only way to get things sorted is not heavier consequences, or more legislation or whatever, rather the current laws must be applied and enforced. our biggest problem is that enforcement is done on a cash cow 1st basis and not in the interest of the general populace.

Dear Dick, you have completely missed the point.

Edit:

Funny, the bikehub "editor" thinks I'm swearing by addressing D by his name, and responding as politely as I can?!?

As I was training this morning, I was thinking of Gregory Basson. And Delene from Wellington.

If only we could just honour the life of the fallen cyclist in this thread.

And discuss the law, road safety and other related matters in a dedicated thread.

Would you consider it?

As I was training this morning, I was thinking of Gregory Basson. And Delene from Wellington.

If only we could just honour the life of the fallen cyclist in this thread.

And discuss the law, road safety and other related matters in a dedicated thread.

Would you consider it?

Do it, please. People are not even reading posts in context here so better to let that kind of thing happen elsewhere.

Archived