Cyclists down on bottelary road, stellenbosch

andydude

Hi guys. More sad news! A car plowed into cyclists this morning on the bottelary road, just before the robot where you turn right on the r304 to stellenbosch. See the map. Across from devonvalley golf & wine estate.

Does anybody have more information regarding the seriously injured rider? Who is he? Is he ok?

Don't want to say to much about the incident, because arrived 5 minutes after the impact and don't want to speculate now.

e84c2199b646255b9e943b785264aa26.jpg

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope it is not too serious. Wish the injured a speedy recovery

One guy looked seriously injured. Bleeding from the face and impact scars on his back. I left the scene when the ambulance arrived. Took him to Stellenbosch I think.

From witnesses, the car swerved left into the cyclists hitting them from behind.

Sadly a cyclist  lost their life in this accident., Seems like another hit and run-frighteningly similar to the recent incidents in Wellington and JHB. Drink driving appears to be a common denominator......prayers for the families left behind

Sadly a cyclist lost their life in this accident., Seems like another hit and run-frighteningly similar to the recent incidents in Wellington and JHB. Drink driving appears to be a common denominator......prayers for the families left behind

Has this been confirmed?! That is such bad news [emoji20]

My thoughts go out to his family & friends

One guy looked seriously injured. Bleeding from the face and impact scars on his back. I left the scene when the ambulance arrived. Took him to Stellenbosch I think.

From witnesses, the car swerved left into the cyclists hitting them from behind.

The roadworks there are forcing cyclists into the lane and if there is oncoming traffic and cyclists something like this could happen "as an accident". I also came past there just after the incident.

It is becoming traumatic to read the hub. Carnage is the only word. Holding the riders and families in mind. Holding all cyclists in mind too.

I am so sick of reading these threads.

Am I correct in saying there were multiple riders down in this?

RIP if it is correct somebody passed away.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for anyone else.

The roadworks there are forcing cyclists into the lane and if there is oncoming traffic and cyclists something like this could happen "as an accident". I also came past there just after the incident.

Nothing accidental about driving off though.

It's a kind of strange story, but can't really explain here.

I am not too sure on the penalties imposed so hence my qu here...

1. If a driver knocks and kills someone(cyclist, pedestrian etc) and stays at the scene, is positively identified as under the influencevof alcohol, What is the general penalty(legally whais it SUPPOSED to be)??

2. If a driver knocks and kills somebody(cyclist, pedestrian etc) and flees the scene due to the fact that he is under the influence(no proof from witnesses), However later that day or evening is aprehended or hands himself in and claims he was in shock or traumatised etc which is why he fled the scene, The cops can now not prove that he was under the influence at the time of the incident, So he gets charged with Fleeing the scene of an accident or whatever the technical term is... What is the penalty for this??

My main worry is this, do drivers who are under the influence who knock and kill someone, flee the scene and go into hiding till they are sober then hand themselves in or are tracked down for a "lesser" punishment??

May the deceased RIP, thoughts and prayers are with his family!!

I am so sick of reading these threads.

Am I correct in saying there were multiple riders down in this?

RIP if it is correct somebody passed away.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for anyone else.

stopped there and the one cyclist was badly injured, the other cyclist was walking around...had some scars but appeared to be alright...

would appreciate if some can update us on the condition of the badly injured cyclist.

thanx

Archived