Choosing the right saddle width

Jasond86

Good day, I went to the specialized store today and sat on their pressure pad and they recommended a 155mm seat, I then went to CWC and on their pressure pad my big bum measured 140mm across seat bones, should I then aim for a seat around the 155mm as recommended by Spez salesman or 142mm by CWC salesman as I read sime time ago that I should add 20-35mm onto seat bone width?

Rememeber that spez's chart, it's not always an exact number. It depends on your seating position, and the saddle model you're on.

It appears that for most people, going as wide as possible is the right choice. For people who are in between widths, going for the wider width has also been the right way to go for the majority.

That being said, just make sure you test as many widths and saddles as you can, as quite often, the saddle that is right on paper will be like sitting on a Razor for some people, so test and test some more. Almost all the big saddle makers have test saddles at retailers.

Also make sure you ride long enough to test a saddle. Round the block or lbs parking lot is not enough. My spez romin, for example, is actually uncomfortable for the first 30kms of my ride, then becomes like sitting on soft butter. But my first thoughts on a test ride was not so pleasant. So make sure to reals the thoroughly.

Strictly speaking it should be 10mm wider than your sit bone measurement on either side.

So Spez is correct however a bit wider is even better however wifer than 155 is hatd to find.

Obviously the shape of the saddle can complicate the the issue.

Strictly speaking it should be 10mm wider than your sit bone measurement on either side.

So Spez is correct however a bit wider is even better however wider than 155 is hard to find.

Obviously the shape of the saddle can complicate the the issue.

Edited by Hellgate

I was riding a 143 on both road & mnt bikes. Experienced a little discomfort but nothing unmanageable . Went to the spez store in melrose arch to buy another saddle as that's the only saddles I get on with and the only spez product I buy.

The guy measured my sit bones and told me I should be on a 155. I didn't believe him at first , questioned and interrogated him,well kinda ????

Took his advice and have never looked back. Changed all my saddle's now to 155 and can ride with no discomfort for hours on end day after day.

Oh and I'm 6ft and weigh 75kg....so am small. Size has nothing to do with sitbones and saddle size.

Just my experience .

Edited by Pikey

I also have 155 mm spez saddles on all my bikes, had my measurements done by Mark Williams who knows what he's doing. Never looked back.

Rememeber that spez's chart, it's not always an exact number. It depends on your seating position, and the saddle model you're on.

It appears that for most people, going as wide as possible is the right choice. For people who are in between widths, going for the wider width has also been the right way to go for the majority.

That being said, just make sure you test as many widths and saddles as you can, as quite often, the saddle that is right on paper will be like sitting on a Razor for some people, so test and test some more. Almost all the big saddle makers have test saddles at retailers.

Also make sure you ride long enough to test a saddle. Round the block or lbs parking lot is not enough. My spez romin, for example, is actually uncomfortable for the first 30kms of my ride, then becomes like sitting on soft butter. But my first thoughts on a test ride was not so pleasant. So make sure to reals the thoroughly.

Hey Drago...

Your seat is real for the first 30km, then your bum goes numb, and not even a drawing pin will feel like a difference  :ph34r:

Get the actual measurement that they took, not what saddle width they recommended.

I'm 110mm, so smallest spez is 143mm, other saddle makes will be ~130mm. Failry large difference.

You can also do at home, sit on your hands (palms up) , then with your fingers find your sit bones (they easy to find) and while keeping hands at same spot, stand up and get someone to measure the distance.

Or you can do the simple cardboard/pencil method as well if you don't have helper.

• 2 weeks later...

So i went for a ass measure and was shocked when they told me to put a 155 saddle on , i am currently running with a 129 gobi fizik(or something like that) after 2 days in the saddle it normally feels if i have spend some time in jail..........

So i took a wider saddle and put it on my spinner just to check it out, my legs/knees hurt all over. My question now with the wider saddle must the seat post be dropped or must it be set higher? Please help!!

So i went for a ass measure and was shocked when they told me to put a 155 saddle on , i am currently running with a 129 gobi fizik(or something like that) after 2 days in the saddle it normally feels if i have spend some time in jail..........

So i took a wider saddle and put it on my spinner just to check it out, my legs/knees hurt all over. My question now with the wider saddle must the seat post be dropped or must it be set higher? Please help!!

Measure your knee angle, and try to replicate what you had.

But, as you are supported better, it should propably drop.

Also check your for/aft position of the saddle.

Measure your knee angle, and try to replicate what you had.

But, as you are supported better, it should propably drop.

Also check your for/aft position of the saddle.

Thanks will try that..... i did put the saddle on as described by the LBS distance from stem etc etc 

Thanks will try that..... i did put the saddle on as described by the LBS distance from stem etc etc

Then I'd say drop it a bit... Your bum will be better supported and end up 'higher'

• 3 years later...

I would also try moving the saddle position back a bit,say 10 to 15mm. With the wider saddle your inner thigh may be rubbing against the saddle on your down pedal forcing your knee outwards, causing the knee pain. It worked for me i went from a narrow fizik gobi to a 143mm power saddle. 

some spez stores have A device to measure your ass bones and it's pretty accurate ive heard