Which Wheels to buy - Road

segal

Evening Guys,

Im looking for some advise on some wheels and wondering if anybody has some input.

My brother and I both ride Giant TCR Advanced bikes but both bought our bikes with Shitty wheels on them (Used). He keeps popping spokes and my rear hub's bearings are failing. Ive been told its not rebuild-able and not a common hub so replacing it would be more expensive then buying a new wheel. We ride a fair amount  but we not looking to race or get too serious in this sport, we just like to challenge our selves. So we are looking for advice on a good value for money wheel set. We dont need the lightest wheels but we dont want bricks. We also want strong wheels as we tired of having our wheel buckled from minor dings.

Can anyone please point us in the right direction. I am also looking for something that we wont struggle to get parts for down the line, like my hub.

We have been recommended the Fulcrum Racing 7 LG Alloy Clincher Wheelset. Is this a good set?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. We are both riding on 10 speed ultegra drive trains.

Thanks

Dani

Mavic Aksium is cheap and tough. I know of a pro team that used to train with them exclusively. Not sure what they use now, but they chose the Mavics because they were bomb proof.

Mavic Ksyrium or Open Pro if you want something slightly fancier.

Thanks guys. 65kg and 74kg

Im not sure on local prices but the fulcrum set is less than R2k from wiggle on special now

Thanks

At those weights ,just about anything

My advice : American Classic Victory 30 from CWC (on special at the moment)

Solid and light

At those weights ,just about anything

My advice : American Classic Victory 30 from CWC (on special at the moment)

Solid and light

I second that. Great wheels at a great price

Aksiums are good choice. The Fulcrum 7's are entry level as well. Fulcrum is a brand from Campagnolo for the non-Campy crowd so good pedigree. I have mostly used Mavic's and my training wheels are Aksiums. If you can get a good 2nd hand set of Kysiriums that would be perfect. 

If you looking to spend around R2k, then I'd recommend the Aksiums as well, I think they a little more expensive than R2k though but worth the money...

At around an R2k budget you aren't exactly spoiled for choices. In that price range I would also recommend the Mavic Aksium wheel set as it would be the best value for money.

I've also considered them, but decided to up my budget a little and save a bit longer for the Ksyrium's or a Set of Shimano Ultegra wheels or maybe some American Classic's.

Maybe you guys should also save up a little more.

For the money I would get the Aksiums over any of the others mentioned.  If you want to get more expensive aluminium wheels I would suggest a custom build.  Steer clear of patented spokes and rims! 

You can add Shimano RS11/RS10 in that price range too... very strong wheels but not on the lighter side though...

Thank you everyone for the input.

Sorry the budget is about 4k, 2k was just the price on the wheels I was recommended.

If I go the rebuild route, where would be the best place to go to. We stay around Edenvale but dont mind traveling.

Just a question on the American Classics, I read that they are bad in cross winds, is that an issue with those wheels or with all 30mm Aeros

Thanks

Go and have a look at Solomon's in Woodmead, Shimano, Campagnolo, American Classic, Mavics all in your R4K budget. I got a set of Campagnolo Eurus wheels for R2499, ON SPECIAL.

Solomon's don't do a very good job advertising their deals, but they're all available in store, and sometimes the prices are ridiculously low :)

For the money I would get the Aksiums over any of the others mentioned.  If you want to get more expensive aluminium wheels I would suggest a custom build.  Steer clear of patented spokes and rims! 

What's a good custom build for R8-10k these days? Prices have gone wonky along with the Rand and never recovered.

Archived