Help!!! What to buy for a noob?

GuyKilfoil

Oh, and don't be put off by the extra travel on the stumpy. It's an IMMENSELY capable bike, and can climb brilliantly. Just a bit slower than the camber on the ups, but soooo much better on the downs. Most of the speed is in YOUR legs. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, and don't be put off by the extra travel on the stumpy. It's an IMMENSELY capable bike, and can climb brilliantly. Just a bit slower than the camber on the ups, but soooo much better on the downs. Most of the speed is in YOUR legs. 

I can testify to this!! Love my stumpy to bits! Even if my firends on Cambers and Epics beat me up the hills haha. The thing is a machine when the trail points down... And I have to add, it is a very efficient pedaling platform!

My first bike was Schwinn Phocus 1600 :)

- Schwinn aluminum road frame with Carbon fiber road fork

- Shimano Claris 16 speed derailleur with Micro shift integrated shift/brake lever combo

- High profile alloy double wall rims with paired spokes are lightweight and strong with front Quick release

After Schwinn, I have used a lot of more expensive bikes, but actually, I noticed no difference in quality.. So If you're looking for a great starter bike then I completely recommend this one. 

Thank you everyone for your comments, feedback and willingness to assist. Just an update: called every Spez store in country. Definitely no XL Camber Comp alloy (either '16 or '17) anywhere. Spez also cannot guarantee bikes will arrive April - could be even later!! As for CCC, it's an amazing bike but it's just too much money for me to spend on a first bike. Any thoughts on the new Scott Spark range? Same travel as Camber, better spec at the price, and some good deals available? Can get a Spark 940 plus kit for a few grand (nearly R10k) less than the Spez deal!!

Thank you everyone for your comments, feedback and willingness to assist. Just an update: called every Spez store in country. Definitely no XL Camber Comp alloy (either '16 or '17) anywhere. Spez also cannot guarantee bikes will arrive April - could be even later!! As for CCC, it's an amazing bike but it's just too much money for me to spend on a first bike. Any thoughts on the new Scott Spark range? Same travel as Camber, better spec at the price, and some good deals available? Can get a Spark 940 plus kit for a few grand (nearly R10k) less than the Spez deal!!

New Scott spark is a fantastic bike. Do it. The changes to the geometry and suspension platform make it a far better bike than it used to be, and the extra squish is well received. Excellent alternative for the camber and new anthem.

New Scott spark is a fantastic bike. Do it. The changes to the geometry and suspension platform make it a far better bike than it used to be.

Sorry, finger trouble! 120mm travel, almost full XT plus dropper for R10k less all-in. And looks pretty good in matte grey:

post-103640-0-87502700-1485965700_thumb.jpg

post-103640-0-53395900-1485965742_thumb.jpg

post-103640-0-13401600-1485965774_thumb.jpg

They are lookers. Seen a couple in the shops.

Do it. Only shortfall I see is the rims. Old syncros rims used to have a tendency of folding like a taco under us heavier riders. Sure it's been sorted now, but just beware.

Having said that for the 10k difference you can get a stellar wheelset

Guys, not sure if this was mentioned before (flew over this post), the first step for me is to always assess the type of rider you are: either downhiller, marathoner or weekend warrior. Then: are you agile, not afraid, keen on technical or somewhere toward the opposite?

This determines first the type of bike you should start riding. That's why it's usually best to take a bike or two for a test ride (LBS do this!) and experience where you are on the curve.

Next is your ambition: ride with mates and/or ride events (one dayers to multi stage)?

From there your LBS should advise you correctly on what you should pick - with a healthy dose of personal honesty and common sense. How much you weigh, height etc is essential in picking correct dimensions, but is otherwise "immaterial".

This is an expensive sport - bottom line - you will be replacing parts regularly anyway. Learn to ride "soft" especially with your height and weight. Cadence and easy gears will also be good for the lungs and heart. Those drive train parts will thank you.

Then learn some skills (!!) as they enhance your riding (unless you did bmx as a laatjie, or offroad scrambler riding before). But knowing Gauteng, there aint too many hills around so you can ease in quickly :thumbup:  (ps i'm ex-Jhb). WC rocks for mtb :clap:

Thanks MRCG! I rode dirt bikes from age 12 onwards but it's been a while. As for ambitions, mainly weekend warrior with the odd stage race (multi-day) thrown in and an Xterra or two. No plan for any Epic adventures or the like - hence haven't looked at the usual XC marathon options most South Africans I know swear by.

Thanks MRCG! I rode dirt bikes from age 12 onwards but it's been a while. As for ambitions, mainly weekend warrior with the odd stage race (multi-day) thrown in and an Xterra or two. No plan for any Epic adventures or the like - hence haven't looked at the usual XC marathon options most South Africans I know swear by.

Oh, as for agile, obstacle course racing, trail half marathons, the odd road race, a good dose of gym and crossfit and heaps of sport most of my life mean not a complete klutz! ????

With the bigger (wider) wheels? Benefits??

Huge.

On the plus size bike there is oodles of grip as long as you get the pressures right, but on the other side of the coin there's slightly slower acceleration due to the extra weight that plus size tyres bring to the party. Can feel a bit vague sometimes if you push hard due to the extra volume, but also feels like a bit of a bulldozer when stuff gets rough. Ploughs through things where you'd have to pick lines a bit more carefully on the normal niner version

Fantastic in sandy conditions and for technical climbs.

There's no wrong answer on which to go for Tbh.

Check out the reviews on pinkbike for both.

Archived