Raleigh Duo Tandem Opinion

slaghuis

Hi We just started out after 18 years on our tandem, use to have a old cadence meter whent missing any suggestions on what to use now. A bit of your topic but hopefully some of you can help.

That Carbon fork scares me on a tandem as well. 

Cannondale are the Rolls Royce of tandems and they are probably there because they are simply put very well built.  I have heard lots of stories about cheaper tandems with flexing and the like - the Cannondale is properly sorted and in terms of tweaking works much better. Less tweaking equals more riding.

Your question answers itself. Cannondale is pretty much the tandem that will give you the greatest peace of mind.

WRT them I currently have a Cannondale  T 2 and had an RT 3000 i used to race a lot. Its a bike so its not like someone can't build it as well, as long as you build it properly and strong with the correct components you will have endless miles.

Dont try and save yourself rich when on tandems. Use the best (not the lightest - the strongest) you can get.

And if you are seriously looking my wife is not that in to Tandeming any more so my T2 could be up for sale. As I said its pretty much new (ish) and has some additions like TRP HY RD Hydraulic discs as well as Spokeworx Velocity Rims hand built by Ruan Deysel, and saddles bars etc are all upgraded.

Would be Looking for about R 35k neg.

Thank you Paul,  Ill keep this one in mind.  Off to the races this week-end (Dischem ride for sight) so Ill see how the old girl (that is the bicycle  :) ) will perform with the brand new secondhand derailleur that Sepia organized me.

Hi We just started out after 18 years on our tandem, use to have a old cadence meter whent missing any suggestions on what to use now. A bit of your topic but hopefully some of you can help.

you can buy a simple bike computer with cadence. Sigma used to do them.

The problem (challenge if you like) with meters on a tandem, is cable/wire length (if its wired). You just dont get wires long enough to run from the rear wheel to the bars. So you are pretty much forced to go wireless.

As for dependability, like I said, I have both a road and a mtb tandem - did many k's with both - no problems (to date - touch wood). It's all down to decent components and regular service/attention. Have had a carbon fork on the Road bike for more than 10 years now, no problem. Broke chains on both - now I overspec on that.

For those that are interested, I took delivery of my Raleigh duo this week. I bit the bullet and bought it pretty much solely for the disc breaks and newer components. My Exocet was an amazing ride but battled to slow us down and had a sometimes dodgey FD (although I'm aware both of those issues are general tandem issues across the board)

Unfortunately, it arrived the day after I pulled out my back/neck so I actually haven't ridden it yet. Should get the all clear from the physio this week and get some time in the saddle before Argus. 

I was suprised to find an ultegra FD on it, but I'm not gonna complain. :)

The frame is much lighter than my exocet was, but I'm not overly impressed by the QC on the paint job. I've picked up a new 12-30 ultegra cassette to get closer to the familiar gearing of our exocet and help us up hills. I'll get that fitted this week, give it a nice setup and hopefully be able to give some feedback on how she handles on the road. 

That Carbon fork scares me on a tandem as well. 

Cannondale are the Rolls Royce of tandems and they are probably there because they are simply put very well built.  I have heard lots of stories about cheaper tandems with flexing and the like - the Cannondale is properly sorted and in terms of tweaking works much better. Less tweaking equals more riding.

Your question answers itself. Cannondale is pretty much the tandem that will give you the greatest peace of mind.

WRT them I currently have a Cannondale  T 2 and had an RT 3000 i used to race a lot. Its a bike so its not like someone can't build it as well, as long as you build it properly and strong with the correct components you will have endless miles.

Dont try and save yourself rich when on tandems. Use the best (not the lightest - the strongest) you can get.

And if you are seriously looking my wife is not that in to Tandeming any more so my T2 could be up for sale. As I said its pretty much new (ish) and has some additions like TRP HY RD Hydraulic discs as well as Spokeworx Velocity Rims hand built by Ruan Deysel, and saddles bars etc are all upgraded.

Would be Looking for about R 35k neg.

My brother and his wife went from a Cannindale to a Matrix.....Weight saving is around 4kg....Some will agree that a Cannindale is good but I wouldn't call it a Rolls Royce. Carbon fork is better and stronger than alu, that is something that will never trouble you.

Make sure you have good wheels (36 or 40 spokes minimum) and you will have no issues.

For those that are interested, I took delivery of my Raleigh duo this week. I bit the bullet and bought it pretty much solely for the disc breaks and newer components. My Exocet was an amazing ride but battled to slow us down and had a sometimes dodgey FD (although I'm aware both of those issues are general tandem issues across the board)

Unfortunately, it arrived the day after I pulled out my back/neck so I actually haven't ridden it yet. Should get the all clear from the physio this week and get some time in the saddle before Argus. 

I was suprised to find an ultegra FD on it, but I'm not gonna complain. :)

The frame is much lighter than my exocet was, but I'm not overly impressed by the QC on the paint job. I've picked up a new 12-30 ultegra cassette to get closer to the familiar gearing of our exocet and help us up hills. I'll get that fitted this week, give it a nice setup and hopefully be able to give some feedback on how she handles on the road. 

Please keep us posted.  The Exocet did great this weekend.  We had no break-down this time, but I am still scared every time I ride it.  What-if it breaks again.  I'd love to hear about the Duo.

Please keep us posted.  The Exocet did great this weekend.  We had no break-down this time, but I am still scared every time I ride it.  What-if it breaks again.  I'd love to hear about the Duo.

Got the all clear from the Physio today so I should be taking her out for the first time on Saturday. Will try take a few pics and give some feedback next week.

• 2 years later...

Got the all clear from the Physio today so I should be taking her out for the first time on Saturday. Will try take a few pics and give some feedback next week.

Hi, I'm considering getting a Raleigh tandem duo. It seems that Cannondale has stopped manufacturing tandems internationally, and I can only find XL/S sizes of them in South Africa. I'd ideally like a L/S - hence looking at the Raleigh.

How have you found it? Good purchase?

My brother and his wife went from a Cannindale to a Matrix.....Weight saving is around 4kg....Some will agree that a Cannindale is good but I wouldn't call it a Rolls Royce. Carbon fork is better and stronger than alu, that is something that will never trouble you.

Make sure you have good wheels (36 or 40 spokes minimum) and you will have no issues.

I have had the misfortune of breaking a carbon Matrix fork on a Matrix tandem. Good news is that it broke very gracefully - as in not catastrophically - but it did ultimately crack around the headset race so that the fork bent up to contact the frame. We only noticed it when the steering started binding. A replacement carbon fork rated for tandem use is about R10,000.

The issue is hitting speedhumps with the thing, particularly the sharp edged ones. Alu is much more impact resistant, and these days we ride a Cannondale.

Edited by 100Tours