From IM to 70.3 Durban: How to train?

Wheelsuck

After IM heading up to Durban 70.3.  I haven’t done events so close together and need some sense checking here as I am self-coached. So there are 12 weeks between IM and Durban. This sounds great as 12 weeks programmes are easy to construct but it doesn’t take into account IM and Rest/Recover/Easter Eggs etc.

So let’s count down: After IM take off 2 weeks that leaves 10 weeks minus Race week so 9 weeks.

I will then work on a 9 week Programme

Week 1 start with training nothing more than 60 minute sessions in Zone 3 (I work with 6 Zones)

Week 2-4   Base Building Upping the Duration and some Intensity not making up more than 15%

Week 5 Recovery Week

Week 6-7 More Intensity with HIIT sessions and some Speed work making up 20% of training (Zone4-5)

Week  8-9 Same a week 6-7 (This is where I am not sure)

Week 10 Taper and Race   

I want to use my IM Base to do more Intensity training so that I can go to Durban to race and not just survive.

Any advice will be appreciated.

After IM heading up to Durban 70.3. I haven’t done events so close together and need some sense checking here as I am self-coached. So there are 12 weeks between IM and Durban. This sounds great as 12 weeks programmes are easy to construct but it doesn’t take into account IM and Rest/Recover/Easter Eggs etc.

So let’s count down: After IM take off 2 weeks that leaves 10 weeks minus Race week so 9 weeks.

I will then work on a 9 week Programme

Week 1 start with training nothing more than 60 minute sessions in Zone 3 (I work with 6 Zones)

Week 2-4 Base Building Upping the Duration and some Intensity not making up more than 15%

Week 5 Recovery Week

Week 6-7 More Intensity with HIIT sessions and some Speed work making up 20% of training (Zone4-5)

Week 8-9 Same a week 6-7 (This is where I am not sure)

Week 10 Taper and Race

I want to use my IM Base to do more Intensity training so that I can go to Durban to race and not just survive.

Any advice will be appreciated.

What do you do in your recovery week? Also, I think week 9 should include a little bit of recovery. Maybe a day or 2? Your body needs a good rest Edited by Dullscalpel

Lol! Some people do absolutely nothing, and some people still train but at very low intensity. The latter is better for speed and endurance. That's why I ask :P

I dial down the Duration and Intensity so about 25% less on Duration and all Intensity at Zone 2 again.  

Edited by Wheelsuck

I think your program is good, no change needed. Listen to your body and take it from there. Durban is also a relatively easy course so coming off IM you dong have to kill yourself training.

After IM last year I started training a week later. My body felt good enough so started an easy training regime after a week. But play that by ear.

I think your program is good, no change needed. Listen to your body and take it from there. Durban is also a relatively easy course so coming off IM you dong have to kill yourself training.

After IM last year I started training a week later. My body felt good enough so started an easy training regime after a week. But play that by ear.

What do you think about upping the Intensity even more to really hammer Durban? 

What do you think about upping the Intensity even more to really hammer Durban? 

Its impossible to say without knowing your current fitness levels and ability, what sort of times are you hoping for in PE?

I reckon listen to your body, in weeks 6,7,8,9  if you feeling strong spend a bit more time HIIT in 2 of those weeks. In your recovery week (5) move it to 4, aim at training at lower intensity levels and about 50% of the hours only. I would look at then adding another recovery week at week 8, again at lower levels and around 50% of the time then klap week 9 hard with a nice taper.

It all depends on how your body feels after IM really.  2015 it took me 4 weeks to recover an I did the Suncity Ultra in mid May and was still feeling the effects of IM. 2016 after a week I was raring to go.

I also coach myself so I am no expert. Don't stress to much about post IM just yet.... :mellow:

Its impossible to say without knowing your current fitness levels and ability, what sort of times are you hoping for in PE?

I reckon listen to your body, in weeks 6,7,8,9  if you feeling strong spend a bit more time HIIT in 2 of those weeks. In your recovery week (5) move it to 4, aim at training at lower intensity levels and about 50% of the hours only. I would look at then adding another recovery week at week 8, again at lower levels and around 50% of the time then klap week 9 hard with a nice taper.

It all depends on how your body feels after IM really.  2015 it took me 4 weeks to recover an I did the Suncity Ultra in mid May and was still feeling the effects of IM. 2016 after a week I was raring to go.

I also coach myself so I am no expert. Don't stress to much about post IM just yet.... :mellow:

Yep, In 2012 I did Sani 2C  four weeks after IM and Day 1, I felt great the next 2 days not so great so yeah will probably err on the side of caution like your idea for week 6-9. Thanks ICM.