Road wheels - heavy rider

travisza

Hi, friend of mine needs some heavy duty road wheels. Where is best place to buy some or get some built.

He's over 110kgs and has broken spikes in current wheels so needs an upgrade.

It's for a tri bike so 28 will be too wide. Probably normal rim width with additional heavy duty spokes I think.

Hi, friend of mine needs some heavy duty road wheels. Where is best place to buy some or get some built.

It's for a tri bike so 28 will be too wide. Probably normal rim width with additional heavy duty spokes I think.

i'm sure it will be much cheaper to lose a few kilo's

Normal double butted spokes (2mm,1.8mm,2mm) and as many as you can get on and as many crosses as you can.  "Heavy duty" spokes are stronger in the absolute sense but not more durable - and you want durable on a wheel.  If you would like you can email me at dave@spokeandspanner.co.za and let me know details of what you want and I can quote.  

i'm sure it will be much cheaper to lose a few kilo's

I said that to a customer once.  When he arrived he was 6'11" without an ounce of fat. His bike frame was a 25" special import (a bit small) and luckily for me he didn't take it the wrong way!

Normal double butted spokes (2mm,1.8mm,2mm) and as many as you can get on and as many crosses as you can.  "Heavy duty" spokes are stronger in the absolute sense but not more durable - and you want durable on a wheel.  If you would like you can email me at dave@spokeandspanner.co.za and let me know details of what you want and I can quote.  

Thanks Dave. Will pass details to him

Hi, my dad weighs 125 kg and uses campagnolo scirocco wheels with no issue, it's als0 35mm so semi aero.

Also look at the quality of built. FYI I am heavier and have never broken a spoke or hub or rim. And yes I ride mtb but also did road.

The newer (2012 up, i think) Easton wheels have a no rider weight limit. 

I'm using the Easton EA90 SLX wheels and i'm 115kg for my road bike with no issues. 

If you do your research you will lots of people complaining about broken spokes. 

I know of several other people that also have the wheels with no issues but we all make sure we never go higher than the recommended tyre pressure. 

I weigh in at 110kg, using a set of shimano R550 wheels for training, 16 spoke straight pull radial front and 20 spoke straight pull radial/cross rear. To date not a slight issue. Although I do agree with a higher spoke count and as many crosses in the lacing as possible. Maybe the wheelset I have are gespook.

Hi

I have ridden Mavic Aksium for the last few years and was up to 120kg with NO issues.

Have had them since new and NEVER snapped a spoke, not even when I got hit by a car...just trued the front and all good!

I see Solomons have them at R3800....best value for money wheels.

I think Alex are also pretty ok?

Hi, my dad weighs 125 kg and uses campagnolo scirocco wheels with no issue, it's als0 35mm so semi aero.

I have also heard great things about these...

Archived