Photocromic Lenses

JBK

Has anyone else experienced a problem with Photocromic lenses losing their ability to transition from dark to light when going out of direct sunlight ? If so, what was your experience and did you take it up with the supplier ? 

What make is your glasses. And to answer you Q, yes they do loose this ability over time. 

Even my expensive Oakley's lost its ability, before I lost them on a ride.

Not so sure if I will spend that much again on shades.

Currently using Ocean cheapies (photochromic) and great value for money in my opinion.

The Rudy's come with a lifetime lense warrantee... sure if this happened on those lenses they'd sort you out.

G

Did you perhaps use some sort of liquid to clean your lenses?

I know of this issue of people that use soapy water to clean the specs. 

Even my expensive Oakley's lost its ability, before I lost them on a ride.

Not so sure if I will spend that much again on shades.

Currently using Ocean cheapies (photochromic) and great value for money in my opinion.

Agreed. Mine are usually due a replacement due to wear and tear before the lenses stop working. the Oceans are great value. My current more expensive glasses fog up anyway with all sorts of ventilation anyway. I cannot say they are any better than my oceans I had.

This is the main reason I change my MTB glasses from Rudy photo chromatic to Oakley Prizm.

The photo chromatic lenses can't adjust fast enough when you ride from very bright sunlight into tree cover or a tunnel. Oakley works well in these types of conditions.

Has anyone else experienced a problem with Photocromic lenses losing their ability to transition from dark to light when going out of direct sunlight ? If so, what was your experience and did you take it up with the supplier ? 

They tend to degrade a bit over time, dont leave them lying around in sunny places when you not using them...ie. Your car dashboard or something.

My Rudy Projects are still perfect and Ive had them for close on 6 years, they have a couple of small scratches and thats it.

To answer a few questions :

1) My glasses are Rudy Projects

2) They live in their dark case all week and only see sunlight once per week when we hit the trails

3) They're prob about 8 years old but have hardly been used over the past 4 years.

4) Rudy acknowledged that the photocromatic degrades over time but they didn't specify a time.

5) They said that extended exposure to UV will destroy the transition ability

6) My total wear, exposed to UV, would probably be equivalent to about one year had I cycled 4-5 days a week which makes me think it's not only the UV that degrades this and time also.

7) Rudy offered me a 30% discount off a new set of glasses off their website provided that I send them my old pair. LOL - this is most probably not even the retailer margin so they're still making good money.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I certainly appreciate my Rudy project glasses and use them on the motorcycle and driving my car. I didn't realize they would loose their photochromic ability over time...mmm another expensive outlay.

My Rudy Projects still work well after 10 years, but they have a yellow tint when clear (compared to my wife's brand new ones)

Archived