[Event] Eroica South Africa

Stan Engelbrecht

I'm curious to do this ride I'm just wondering about the brake lever change. Why and to what?

Three main items needed for the bike to qualify as Eroica compliant (there are others):

• non-aero brake levers with cable/casing exposed (not under bar tape)
  • down tube gear shifters
  • toe clips and straps

See https://eroicasouthafrica.com/classic

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmmmmmm, yes i think we will have to do this one! prices are in Euros, adds some panache to it - enter before the whole Zuma NDZ/ Moyane/Nuclear (select your favourite potential clusterf$%^) sends the rand/EUR to the roof.

don't have a bike that fits the bill, but it's not totally restricted  and you know N+1

https://eroicasouthafrica.com/

Just go visit Woodstock Cycle Works with a couple of grand in your pocket and walk out of there with a ready to ride classic. Or watch the classifieds here to buy one or build your own. The whole thing can be cheaper than some "must do" races. 

:oops: ... I might have a little problem... can I just take them out from under the bar tape and expose them? :wacko: :w00t:

This is what I did.

I have some very cool Shimano 600 drilled, non-aero brake levers which I have mounted on some St Etienne bars and stem which I wrapped with some nice cloth tape.

Whenever I need a Eroica compliant ride I remove my aero stem/bars & levers and replace them with the 600 setup. I then swap them back afterwards saved me having to wrap new bar tape each time I change levers.

You can get a spare stem, bar and non-aero brake levers super cheap, especially if they sans hoods.

These are my Gran Sport levers I also swap around.

PS, to answer your question. Some mid 80's levers could either be aero or non aero like the C Record, early Athena/Chorus levers. Check to see if your levers allow the cable being threaded from the top of the hood as well as through the body life the aero levers.

post-44986-0-04889900-1510223311_thumb.jpg

The "South African" category has slightly more relaxed rules, bikes only need to be pre-2000, have down-tube shifters, and toe-clips. They do allow non-aero brake levers in this category. I assume the frames need to be SA made as well

Hopefully its compliant, but I'm using my old touring bike, Le Turbo, leather wrapped bars, leather saddle bags, brooks saddle, 28mm tyres (bigger if i can), MTB rear derailleur, wide range cassette :ph34r: .

If you have any doubts about compliance shoot the organisers an email, they are happy to give the thumbs up (or down)

Yes, they are pretty relaxed, especially on the short route. But it is almost expected (perhaps only morally?) that if you do the 140, and you want to brag about it, that you comply.  

Yes, they are pretty relaxed, especially on the short route. But it is almost expected (perhaps only morally?) that if you do the 140, and you want to brag about it, that you comply.  

Agreed, I don't see the point in not complying, it kind of defeats the whole purpose of the ride.

The thing I'm really struggling with is finding vintage kit that fits. The only stuff that seems to come up on the hub fits me like a tent. Any suggestions?

Registration has opened for next years event!

What distances will you be riding?

Decided to go local steel for next year just need some mods and I should be good to go!

-Thicker Tyres

-bigger cluster

-pedal change

-Mayb a brake lever change?

Oooooh !!! Such a lovely bike that Kamaal.  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

I must really go and check my calendar, I'm sure I can conjure up some business  to the in the Cape at that time.  :devil:   

I have just returned from Italy with this baby in the bag. I am also undecided on distance of my first Eroica, need help on what is the most fun and memorable.

attachicon.gifBianch 1.jpg

Ride the distance you are comfortable with. They all have great scenery and a fun vibe. 

The 140 is long, with lots of climbs and hot in March, but that is the one to do if you are fit and tough. It is the serious one.

The 90 is totally doable for someone fit enough to finish an Argus. But it is not for unfit people. The 1st half is easy, the same route as the 50. But the 2nd half has a fair bit of uphill. It is a lot more relaxed than the 140, with more riders and much more bike talk. People stop, check bikes out, chat and share stories. 

The 50 km is easy and almost anyone can complete it, even if fairly unfit. The vibe is also great.

I have just returned from Italy with this baby in the bag. I am also undecided on distance of my first Eroica, need help on what is the most fun and memorable.

attachicon.gifBianch 1.jpg

That is a great first post Matt.

Ride the distance you are comfortable with. They all have great scenery and a fun vibe. 

The 140 is long, with lots of climbs and hot in March, but that is the one to do if you are fit and tough. It is the serious one.

The 90 is totally doable for someone fit enough to finish an Argus. But it is not for unfit people. The 1st half is easy, the same route as the 50. But the 2nd half has a fair bit of uphill. It is a lot more relaxed than the 140, with more riders and much more bike talk. People stop, check bikes out, chat and share stories. 

The 50 km is easy and almost anyone can complete it, even if fairly unfit. The vibe is also great.

Thanks DJR, I really appreciate the info, this vintage bike is all about the fun, camaraderie and beers, unlike the carbon Bianchi. The 90 is sounding more my vibe, also I can get a few more beers in.