10 Spd Derailleur on a 11 speed Cassette

GidB

Thanks for the Knowledge. Good to know

Didnt know about this difference.

To sum up, my LBS stayed open till 6 for me, so just went and got the cassette swapped out and was riding it within the hour after that.

Was worth the wait, its unbelievable

Thanks all from stopping me from making a big mistake

Edited by GidB

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sram seems so much easier; I'm more interested in knowing whether an 11sp Shimano rd will work on a 10x setup though-11sp is expensaaave to maintain and unneccasary for where I live

Yes a 10spd cassette will work on a Shimano 11spd groupset. You will most probably reset your gears and set either the top or bottom limit screw so that the chain doesn't jump of the cassette.

I run 11spd Di2 and my race wheels still run a 10spd cassette because Dura Ace 7950 hubs are not 11spd compatible.

As for the 11spd cassette with 10spd RD I have done this on a training ride where I broke a spoke and my wheel was rubbing in my aero frame so swapped wheels with a friend. It did jump a bit under power but I can't remember if that was due to the 10spd chain being to wide or a gear indexing issue.

• 3 years later...

Reviving an old thread but I have another question: if I have a SRAM 11 speed cassette and a 11 speed Shimano shifter will a 10 speed Shimano rear mech work without any issues

Reviving an old thread but I have another question: if I have a SRAM 11 speed cassette and a 11 speed Shimano shifter will a 10 speed Shimano rear mech work without any issues

In my experience the cassette doesn't really matter, 11sp is 11sp whether it's SRAM, Sunrace, Shimano etc. But an 11sp shifter with 10sp derailleur doesn't work ...