Need help with seatpost purchase

Dullscalpel

Hi all :thumbup:

I am looking to get a new seatpost for my Raleigh (I want to get a longer seatpost). However, I don't know how to measure my current one. Also, do I need to worry about the diameter of the seatpost? Can I go into a LBS and show them a seatpost and ask them for the same, but longer? My current seatpost is a Felt carbon 1.1 (those are all the details I have).

I just checked CWC for seatposts :eek: my oh my are some of them expensive...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should have the diameter written on the seatpost and often the length as well, something like 27.2 Dia x 350mm

Should have the diameter written on the seatpost and often the length as well, something like 27.2 Dia x 350mm

I can only find the length (27.2)

I can only find the length (27.2)

That is the diameter :)... so you can take with to your LBS and ask them for a 27.2 diameter seatpost which is longer than your current one which you can show them

That is the diameter :)... so you can take with to your LBS and ask them for a 27.2 diameter seatpost which is longer than your current one which you can show them

Thanks a ton!

probably

mostly unless someone cut it shorter once seat posts are 350mm or 400mm so measure and you will figure it out

most prob you have a 350 or its been cut shorter

There is a line on the seatpost just below where the seat connects, is that where I measure from?

Just measure from the bottom end of the tube to the surface where the seat connects. If its 350 or shorter you have options. If its 400 you have problems. Locally 450 mm seatposts are like hens teeth. (unless you go for dropper) Also remember your seatpost have to be inserted at least 100mm into the downtube.

Just measure from the bottom end of the tube to the surface where the seat connects. If its 350 or shorter you have options. If its 400 you have problems. Locally 450 mm seatposts are like hens teeth. (unless you go for dropper) Also remember your seatpost have to be inserted at least 100mm into the downtube.

both your frame and seatpost will have limits.

STAY within these limits !!  As the previous hubber said 100mm is A good rule of thumb but check your frame and seatpost if they don't have longer "minimum insertion levels"

Once you have figured out what you need, another option is to post a wanted advert in the classifieds.  Especially if you don't want to spend the big bucks for a fancy new one.  There's a lot of hubbers with spares lying around in their garage (or other places) - not that I would know.  :whistling:

Once you have figured out what you need, another option is to post a wanted advert in the classifieds.  Especially if you don't want to spend the big bucks for a fancy new one.  There's a lot of hubbers with spares lying around in their garage (or other places) - not that I would know.  :whistling:

Are you hinting bigtom? ;)

A bit off topic (but somehow related). I think my road bike is actually too big for me. Must your seat be higher than your handle bars? I have seen lots of bikes with their seat super high, especially in comparison to handlebars. At R2500+ for bike fitting, I can't afford to get fitted :( That being said, I did find out the "correct" size I would need. I then bought a Raleigh in the closest size to my ideal size but my seat and handle bars are at the same height

Are you hinting bigtom? ;)

Hahaha.  That wasn't my intention, but come to think of it, I probably need to do a parts clearout.  Might find something suitable in the spare parts box ;)

A bit off topic (but somehow related). I think my road bike is actually too big for me. Must your seat be higher than your handle bars? I have seen lots of bikes with their seat super high, especially in comparison to handlebars. At R2500+ for bike fitting, I can't afford to get fitted :( That being said, I did find out the "correct" size I would need. I then bought a Raleigh in the closest size to my ideal size but my seat and handle bars are at the same height

The bigger drop, the better. A slammed stem is preferable, but you are allowed a maximum of 2cm worth of spacers.

Phew, there's my Friday post for you-and in the nick of time!

Old school R0.00 bikefitting technique - for seat correct seat height, place your heel on the pedal at the bottom of the pedal stroke, and your leg should be straight without rolling your hips.  For length, when you are in your riding position, if you look down at the front wheel, the hub should be "hidden" by the handlebars.  If you can see the hub behind (closer to you) the handlebars, bike is too "long."  If hub is in front (away from you), then bike is too "short."  If it is close enough, the length can be adjusted by a longer or shorter stem. 

Not a perfect fit, but will get you close to correct fit without spending an arm and a leg.

*And seeing as how it is still Friday, I'll probably take some flak for those comments...

Archived