Need help with seatpost purchase

Dullscalpel

The bigger drop, the better. A slammed stem is preferable, but you are allowed a maximum of 2cm worth of spacers.

Phew, there's my Friday post for you-and in the nick of time!

On a serious note though, I don't see it being a problem. As long as you are comfortable, everything is fine.

I would also be able to raise my handlebars so they are the same height as my seatpost-it doesn't have anything to do with my frame size. It could be the same height even with your stem slammed-in which case your frame is probably too big for you.

These are all guesses as I haven't seen your riding position, but look at a few videos on youtube and you'll soon have a better understanding of good fitting

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit off topic (but somehow related). I think my road bike is actually too big for me. Must your seat be higher than your handle bars? I have seen lots of bikes with their seat super high, especially in comparison to handlebars. At R2500+ for bike fitting, I can't afford to get fitted :( That being said, I did find out the "correct" size I would need. I then bought a Raleigh in the closest size to my ideal size but my seat and handle bars are at the same height

Just to add a bit more...you can usually fit comfortably through various adjustments on a size up or down from your "proper" size as well.  My "proper" size on a road bike is 58.  However, I've owned a 60, 58, and 56 and been fine on all of them.  Many pros ride a size or more down from their "proper" size.  Although I never had an official fitting on an mtb, I'm usually in the Large range for most manufacturers.  But again, I've owned XL, L, and M mtbs.  Many mtb manufactures will list a height range for their sizes and you will notice that most of them have overlap for the sizes.

Just a question. If you are needing to lift the seat that much, is the bike maybe not too small for you?

Very seldom does somebody cut a seat post so much.

Maybe post a picture or two?

Where are you based? I might have a 27.2 uncut seat post for you.

Just a question. If you are needing to lift the seat that much, is the bike maybe not too small for you?

Very seldom does somebody cut a seat post so much.

Maybe post a picture or two?

Where are you based? I might have a 27.2 uncut seat post for you.

I was thinking of getting a longer seatpost for my husband, just so that he can use the IDT comfortably. It seems that my seatpost is either a 'compact' version or it has been cut. The post is 24cm long.

I will see if I can get some pics going this weekend

I was thinking of getting a longer seatpost for my husband, just so that he can use the IDT comfortably. It seems that my seatpost is either a 'compact' version or it has been cut. The post is 24cm long.

24cm certainly doesn't sound like a standard length.  Most are at least 35cm.

Cool. Like I said, I have a brand new uncut 27.2 seat post that came off my Crux that you are welcome to have, no charge. Just pay it forward ;)

PM me if you want it.

Cool. Like I said, I have a brand new uncut 27.2 seat post that came off my Crux that you are welcome to have, no charge. Just pay it forward ;)

PM me if you want it.

Truly appreciate it Patch. Will send you a pm in the week!

A bit off topic (but somehow related). I think my road bike is actually too big for me. Must your seat be higher than your handle bars? I have seen lots of bikes with their seat super high, especially in comparison to handlebars. At R2500+ for bike fitting, I can't afford to get fitted :( That being said, I did find out the "correct" size I would need. I then bought a Raleigh in the closest size to my ideal size but my seat and handle bars are at the same height

Some Raleigh's are like some Momsen's.

Just because they say medium means nothing. Measure the top tube. As a generalisation a 52-53cm will be a medium. A few of the Raleigh ranges had a medium in a 57-58cm variation.

Some Raleigh's are like some Momsen's.

Just because they say medium means nothing. Measure the top tube. As a generalisation a 52-53cm will be a medium. A few of the Raleigh ranges had a medium in a 57-58cm variation.

Oh geez. Wish I had known this before :/

Guys, this is Blueberry :)

post-105272-0-08726300-1488737434_thumb.jpg

This is me and Blueberry sharing a moment

post-105272-0-97177000-1488737476_thumb.jpg

Are we a decent match? Or is she a bit big?

Frame size is fine. Just move your saddle back by about 2cm and drop the saddle (lower the seat post) by 1-2cm to compensate (you look a bit high anyway). Also level your saddle so you don't slide off the front. If it's lower, it will be easier to level it and still be comfortable.

If the reach is then too long (bars are too far away), get a stem that is 2cm shorter to keep your saddle to bar length the same as now. With that tiny frame you can use a shorter stem.

Hope that helps!

Frame size is fine. Just move your saddle back by about 2cm and drop the saddle (lower the seat post) by 1-2cm to compensate (you look a bit high anyway). Also level your saddle so you don't slide off the front. If it's lower, it will be easier to level it and still be comfortable.

If the reach is then too long (bars are too far away), get a stem that is 2cm shorter to keep your saddle to bar length the same as now. With that tiny frame you can use a shorter stem.

Hope that helps!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. Will make the adjustments this evening ????

Hope that helps!

Why shorten the stem if the frame is tiny? The opposite applies

Would be better to spend the money on a proper bike fit before you start changing stems and adjusting this and that.  You will be spending a long time on your bike, so best to spend the money to be comfortable and to ensure that you are in the right set up to deliver the most power efficiently to the pedals.

Archived