Velo Crash 25/03

bertusras

Anyone have something planned in Pretoria East that I could possibly join tomorrow? Getting a bit frustrating riding alone, and I'm a bit worried the Velo boys break me.

Edit: Edited the heading for attention.

I will most probably join the Velo bunch tomorrow but I will go with the B bunch. Training has not been great the past few weeks so I fear the same  :whistling:

That said. Cycle Lab also have a regular road bunch heading out East on Saturdays. I unfortunately don't have any info on start times and from where and if non club members are welcome. Perhaps you can give them a shout or even the guys at LLC

I've popped Velo a mail finding out if I can tag along to B for a ride. I need to join a group, and I've only heard good things from them, but I also heard that it can be quite fierce!

I've popped Velo a mail finding out if I can tag along to B for a ride. I need to join a group, and I've only heard good things from them, but I also heard that it can be quite fierce!

B Batch is very manageable. The pace can be high sometimes but there is usually a few guys that then drop together and they bunch up or you can sit behind the Velo follow vehicle and have him pace you back to the bunch or rest a bit. There are usually also stops along the way where they will wait for dropped riders. Pace is really only a bit high when A and B ride together and towards the end of the ride it also tends to become a mini race (usually in the last 10km) I'm sure you will be able to keep up  :thumbup:

Velo has A, B & C bunches so should be ok.

If you sit in the B bunch out of the wind you should be fine.the B bunch normally do around 30km/hour .

A a bit faster but also not really that bad if you sit in the slip. Not sure if some of the Argus riders want to take out their frustrations though. 

A will be fast I think.  Lots of guys with some excess Bioplus from last weeks CTCT mishap still in the blood.  :w00t:

You'll be fine in B.

I am babysitting for the day while the Mrs work so I'll be out on my lonesome self very early and early back.  Maybe go chase a KOM or two.

Good luck

Chatted with Liza at Velo and she said I could join tomorrow. I'll see you there, Hennie!

Thanks for all the info guys!!

That was flippen awesome. Stuck with the shorter route bunch and had a blast! Time for a black and white jersey I think!

That was flippen awesome. Stuck with the shorter route bunch and had a blast! Time for a black and white jersey I think!

Awesome,glad you enjoyed it :thumbup: 

What kit did you wear?

Does anyone have any info about the people who went down in today's A-Group, it was flippen horrible!

Red Craft shirt on a Scott CR1

Ah ok. 

I rode next to you at some stage. I was one of the riders in the Energas kit

Does anyone have any info about the people who went down in today's A-Group, it was flippen horrible!

One of the ladies got very badly hurt. She had to undergo some surgery after the crash but thankfully her condition is stable.

I also know of some other riders with some bad bruises but don't have an update on all riders.

I did not join the ride on Saturday. Do you have any idea what caused the crash? As far as I can figure out it happened on Boschkop road after the downhill from the chicken farm?  

I did not join the ride on Saturday.

4 in Hospital.

Jackie has broken ribs. So he'll be out of racing for a while. 

Janine has bleeding on the brain.  And loads of hurt in her face.  Went into surgery yesterday.  Don't have feedback from there.

My team mate, Pieter, has cracked ribs and the screws in his hand (from a crash previously) has came out.  So he'll have to go back in to get that repaired.

Lastly Elmarie was also heading to the doc on Saturday afternoon with severe head ache and dizziness.  Don't have feedback as yet on what the doc said.

Pretty bad crash.

One of the guys' chain came off and it was pretty much a domino effect.

Hope everyone heels up well.

I was (mistakenly, after missing the B-split) in the group on Saturday, but I was clinging on for dear life, think I was second last wheel. I also didn't see what happened, but I just heard the squealing of carbon wheels and the horrid sound of bikes going into each other. Then I saw someone go OTB (I assume that must have been Janine) towards my left and I just swerved right. Bikes everywhere across the road, don't know where I found a gap but I managed to avoid it all. When I turned around and saw the carnage my heart sank. Poor Janine, she was in agony. It was a really bad crash, we were doing around 50km/h at the point, it was after the chicken farms, just before the entrance to Kitty Hawk. Don't know if the little joint bumps on the bridge caused the chain to come off, but it was just after that.

Speedy recovery to all involved.

Thanks for the update Philip!

Damn that's nasty. Wishing everyone a speedy recovery and will anyone with further info please keep us updated on the progress.

Archived