Can road shoes and pedals be used on a mtb?

Apache

Can anyone tell me what the difference is in 'clicking in and out' of mtb and road pedals 

Nothing in my opinion, other than most MTB pedals being double sided. You still rotate your foot outward to unclip.

LittleBen says you can use MTB shoes on a roadbike but it just looks dumb ..........

You can make it easier on road or MTB pedals by setting the tension!

It is not the clicking that you should be worried about most.

Rather the ability to walk over rough terrain with your shoes, which you will do if you get into the MTB thing properly. Wink

Also think about how well your road cleats will work when covered in mud.

Most MTB pedals you can clip on 2 (or more sides), which helps a lot since you clip in and out much more often on the MTB.

OK so ignore all comments me and LittleBen made cause we thought you wanted to use MTB pedals on a roadbike ....... LittleBen still says that looks dumb .....

We're off to bed now! It's late ......

I don't care how it looks, I use my MTB shoes on the road as well.

Road work is just alternative training for MTB in any case smiley1.gif

I guess i should have trusted my instincts and bought the mtb shoes in the first place.(when i bought my road bike)

I knew i was going to buy a mtb eventually, and also thought mtb shoes might look stupid on a road bike(or that is what the salesman convinced me to beleive) - it doesn't though!

I guess i should have trusted my instincts and bought the mtb shoes in the first place.(when i bought my road bike)

I knew i was going to buy a mtb eventually' date=' and also thought mtb shoes might look stupid on a road bike(or that is what the salesman convinced me to beleive) - it doesn't though!
[/quote']

it doesnt look stupi... if you wanna be a funriderBig%20smileLOL

That is exactly why i started cycling....for the fun of it.

Oh yes and for the exercise.
Apache2008-05-19 15:59:10

OK so ignore all comments me and LittleBen made cause we thought you wanted to use MTB pedals on a roadbike ....... LittleBen still says that looks dumb .....

We're off to bed now! It's late ......

Flip, 10.43 and ur still up!Confused Ur usually in bed by 8.00, r u not training tomoro morn?LOLLOLLOL

MTB shoes and pedals on a road bike is ok (rode about 3 years like this)

Road shoes and road pedals on a MTB is not.

MTB shoes and pedals on a road bike is ok (rode about 3 years like this)

Road shoes and road pedals on a MTB is not.

and do you want to share some wisdom about making sure you take the right shoes to the right races?Big%20smile

Umh, road bike pedals and shoes are designed for road bikes.  You have a greater shoe/pedal interface, and in most road pedals the ability to do microscopic adjustments.

Mtb pedals are designed for mtb, where clipping and unclipping easily is more important that the size of the shoe/pedal interface (energy transfer).  Also youmay be required to walk (a distance) in mtb shoes.

If you are planning to walk when you race a road bike get mtb shoes and pedals, if not don't bother.