Question : single speed chain - when to change?

Greg78

Hello Everyone

When do you change a "stretched chain" on a single speed (mountain bike)?

I used to be pretty meticulous about keeping my chain clean and changing when at or just before 0.75 on my geared bikes.

Does the same principle apply to a single speed chain.

Have been riding my single speed since Dec 2016 and now noticed the chain is on 0.75?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Hello Everyone

When do you change a "stretched chain" on a single speed (mountain bike)?

I used to be pretty meticulous about keeping my chain clean and changing when at or just before 0.75 on my geared bikes.

Does the same principle apply to a single speed chain.

Have been riding my single speed since Dec 2016 and now noticed the chain is on 0.75?

Any advise would be appreciated.

I just swap it out once a year if I remember, sometimes every two years :P 

:thumbup:

No problem fusion01

Thanks!  that's what I thaught. Just second guessed myself for a moment this morning.

I use a BMX chain .Dirt cheap R100.0 If you have good quality sprockets don,t damage them with worn chain .Really hard to stretch a BMX chain 

Are you guys serious?

We are talking about a chain here that retails for under R100!!!! 

Are you guys serious?

We are talking about a chain here that retails for under R100!!!! 

http://flagspin-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/hoxbw.jpg

Mine looks like a motorcycle chain. Should last really long

That's what I thought - SRAM PC1, big fat beefy chain - thought it would go on forever until it snapped spectacularly. Lesson: change SS chains when they wear, just like regular chains.

MY one SS chain about  years old . I will get a new one when the gear changes are not smooth anymore .

just for a moment when I checked my chain my newly found single speed bliss (of doing virtually no maintenance) was almost destroyed. My joy is restored - I will take my chances with a snapping chain (I have two kids already anyway).

MY one SS chain about  years old . I will get a new one when the gear changes are not smooth anymore .

Or Change it the morning after the recovery from smacking your nuts on the top tube, it means your chain broke  :blink:

• 2 months later...

If you let the chain stretch past 0.75 it will start wearing out the chainring and cog. Always change at 0.75.

Archived