The Apple Watch thread

Cois

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Took the bike out and tested the watch. Some reason it decided to use miles and not KM.

It did not want to connect to my BT HRM.

In the end, it lost about 5km of riding data.

Just glad I had strava open on the phone. So will not use my Apple watch to record data anymore. And I have a feeling that my Apple use days are nearing an end as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Can’t find stock anywhere, maybe a sign to wait for the cellular model to launch

Core says that not going to bring in the cellular model.

They are idiots.

Can’t find stock anywhere, maybe a sign to wait for the cellular model to launch

There aren’t any plans currently for the cellular version in SA.

Vodacom state they are ready eSIM technology, but Core (Apple’s distributor in SA) have said they won’t bring it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took the bike out and tested the watch. Some reason it decided to use miles and not KM.

It did not want to connect to my BT HRM.

In the end, it lost about 5km of riding data.

Just glad I had strava open on the phone. So will not use my Apple watch to record data anymore. And I have a feeling that my Apple use days are nearing an end as well...

What app were you using?

Was the HRM connected to your phone?

Miles v I’m is a simple setting in any app.

What app were you using?

Was the HRM connected to your phone?

Miles v I’m is a simple setting in any app.

i used the workout app. I did connect the HRM to the watch when I left home, but tried on the ride to check the HRM data but did not show.

I was not in the mood to struggle with the Apple idea of an app so I dumped it and carried on with Strava

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed that when using the Strava app on the Apple Watch it does not pick up/register my heart rate data any more.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the app but it is still not recording.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Owner of generation 1 and not too happy with performance (but expected with gen 1) but not reason for post.

I dropped the watch by accident a few months ago (normal fall off the kitchen table onto tile floor). Screen smashed badly (as if car road over it). Called apple doctor etc and got quoated ridiculous prices for those who were willing to fix (not many it CT). Apple Store quoted me on a replacement instead

Hope the new generation can take a fall (it's a sport watch for goodness sake). If not, do yourself a favour and get screen protection (and insure it).

Funny thing is, as crap as it looks it still works.......so I only use it when I excercise (not in rain obviously)

How much were they quoting to replace the screen and what was the replacement fee from istore? Dropped mine yesterday as well and interested to know what it would cost to fix/replace as I want to pass it on to my daughter.

I have had the Series 3 for a while now, with little trouble. The LTE connection is lekker, especially since I bought AirPods, because then the watch works pretty seamlessly without the phone being nearby. I can make calls, send texts, listen to streaming music or radio shows, no issue.

Swimming, showering, cycling, running - no problems at all. Speed of loading and opening of apps is so much better than the original.

The only issue I have had is with the workout app, specifically when hiking, as it didn’t track altitude on the climb. I have followed the instructions to rectify this that I found online, but otherwise absolutely love my watch. cc109d925861c8c5ffeee5af531b76a9.jpg

Thanks, have you used it to count laps in the pool?

i used the workout app. I did connect the HRM to the watch when I left home, but tried on the ride to check the HRM data but did not show.

I was not in the mood to struggle with the Apple idea of an app so I dumped it and carried on with Strava

When you use the Apple workout app, it will not display the heart rate in Strava, only when you use strava on the watch. Also a gripe I have that I can not have Strava and the workout app open at the same time.

Is this still the same on the 3 series.

• 3 weeks later...

So I've had the Apple watch series1 for 2 years now through Vitality rewards and due to meeting my weekly targets have paid nothing more than the sign on fee back in 2016. So I'm waiting to hear from VAR that my watch is 100% paid off before I start another contract for the Apple watch 3. Has anyone else reached their 2 year status and if so what kind of notification did you get, I'm assuming it'll come around the 10th of next month as that's when I normally get the attaboy email.

Side story: dropped the bloody thing last week and screen smashed, still works but difficult to read as well as looking fugly. WeFix are quoting R4300 to repair, same watch new at iStore is R4600! I've managed to source a new screen/oled from China for around R700 so will let you know how that goes when it arrives in around 2 months (if I'm lucky).

I sent them a DM (Twitter) to find out when my 2 year agreement is up. “On the next billing cycle,” they replied. So technically that WAS Friday last week, but I think they meant in Feb.

Wife got her watch on my name, so I hope she doesn’t expect me to do it again for the series 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I've had the Apple watch series1 for 2 years now through Vitality rewards and due to meeting my weekly targets have paid nothing more than the sign on fee back in 2016. So I'm waiting to hear from VAR that my watch is 100% paid off before I start another contract for the Apple watch 3. Has anyone else reached their 2 year status and if so what kind of notification did you get, I'm assuming it'll come around the 10th of next month as that's when I normally get the attaboy email.

Side story: dropped the bloody thing last week and screen smashed, still works but difficult to read as well as looking fugly. WeFix are quoting R4300 to repair, same watch new at iStore is R4600! I've managed to source a new screen/oled from China for around R700 so will let you know how that goes when it arrives in around 2 months (if I'm lucky).

Sorry bud for not replying. just saw this now. The quotes seems about right....can't believe they haven't come up with cheaper options. Would be interested to hear how the Chinese screen works out. I fixed the iPhone with a Chinese screen and it didn't work perfectly to be honest. Hoping for a better outcome for you cause the cost of fixing it is ridiculous.

Yes, I dropped my iPhone as well...

I have noticed that when using the Strava app on the Apple Watch it does not pick up/register my heart rate data any more.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the app but it is still not recording.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I use the workout app (outdoor cycle) on the watch for my heart rate and Strava on mobile.