Recommend a wheelset or rim - on a seriously low budget

Mr lee

Perhaps you've stated the following already, but people might be able to give a better opinion if you gave the make/model of your rims and/or hubs, particularly if you're thinking of building on something existing?

EG there might be nothing wrong with entry level hubs, if they were in good condition and maintained accordingly.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for your opinion but wouldn't I be better off going for the Rapide wheelset @+/-R4400 as I don't have the greatest hubs to start with (entry run of the mill spec)...

I don't know enough about the Rapide products to judge them in any way (although the Rapide products that I ride myself - bar and seatpost - are excellent quality), but I do know that your hubs will be perfectly reliable if maintained correctly. Aftermarket brand name rims like e*Thirteen, Spank, Stans or WTB (any of which I'd happily recommend) are bulletproof options, work very well in a tubeless fashion and are excellent quality.

So I'm not saying don't get a Rapide wheelset - just that there are many good options.

I don't know enough about the Rapide products to judge them in any way (although the Rapide products that I ride myself - bar and seatpost - are excellent quality), but I do know that your hubs will be perfectly reliable if maintained correctly. Aftermarket brand name rims like e*Thirteen, Spank, Stans or WTB (any of which I'd happily recommend) are bulletproof options, work very well in a tubeless fashion and are excellent quality.

So I'm not saying don't get a Rapide wheelset - just that there are many good options.

Sorry I was trying to point out that if I am going to pay almost a wheel R2000 for a new rim to be built over to my hubs using new spokes that I might as well just the whole wheelset with new and better hubs...or am I missing something else!

Perhaps you've stated the following already, but people might be able to give a better opinion if you gave the make/model of your rims and/or hubs, particularly if you're thinking of building on something existing?

EG there might be nothing wrong with entry level hubs, if they were in good condition and maintained accordingly.

I cannot see the model number on my hubs as nothing is printed on them and I haven't been able to see anything with the wheel off either. I also cannot find any info on the net with regards to the specific hub type but I can only assume it will be Deore or more than likely something below that....based on my bikes price point  :wacko:

Oh and rims are Jalco Merida Big nine Comp. They measure about 24mm on the outside so possibly 20-21mm on the inside.

I don't want to go too wide as I would still like the tyre to protect the rim hence me looking at the 24mm ID rims.

I cannot see the model number on my hubs as nothing is printed on them and I haven't been able to see anything with the wheel off either. I also cannot find any info on the net with regards to the specific hub type but I can only assume it will be Deore or more than likely something below that....based on my bikes price point  :wacko:

(I'm a roadie so forgive me...)...this bike? http://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bikes/full-suspension/cross-country-marathon/2016/ninety-six-600-4321.html

Yes that is the one. I suppose they are Formula hubs then....never knew that was a brand of hubs! I always thought that was referring to the brand of the through axle  :blush:  silly me.

Anyone know how Formula hubs match up to Shimano in terms of performance and durability?

Yes that is the one. I suppose they are Formula hubs then....never knew that was a brand of hubs! I always thought that was referring to the brand of the through axle  :blush:  silly me.

Anyone know how Formula hubs match up to Shimano in terms of performance and durability?

About the same. 

About the same. 

As I understand formula hubs - they're not fancy but solid.

My $0.02....take your wheels to a competent wheel-builder and get a hands-on view. And/or get them trued and properly tensioned, and then ride them again. If they keep popping spokes, consider spending some (more) money, but currently an expenditure of a couple of hundred Rands might sort you out.... 

Roval Control SL has a max rider weight of 90kgs

With a safety factor of 2/2.5 I've ridden max rider weight of 90kgs without issue.

I'm 110kgs

Ok so I have done a little over 60km's since the last spoke change and it seems to be holding up this time... probably only about 20km's off road!

Will give it a little more time and then make a decision. I am now leaning towards a rim and spoke rebuild onto my hubs as it will be the cheaper option but I will see what the funds are like when the time comes...might just be worth it to go the whole nine yards and get it over with and forget about it. This with the Rapide option :).

Thank you all for your advice and opinions but please feel free to continue to add and comment...the more info the better, if not for me but for someone else that may need to do this in the future :D 

About the same. 

Except you can get spare freehubs for Shimanos when they break...

I am now 119Kg's on a Merida 96 600 and recently keep breaking spokes!

As usual I am on a really tight budget and would like some advice as to which way I should go in terms of upgrading to something that will handle my weight and stop the spokes from breaking.

Whichever route I go I would like to go for a slightly wider rim say +/- 24mm ID.

If I were to just change the rim which would be a decent reasonably priced one to go for?

If complete wheelset, which one would do the trick? Would like to stay with CL rotors to keep costs down too.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated ;)

cwc has a set of hope tech enduro rims with pro 4 hubs. Its 5999. But you will need new rotors

...I'd recommend going the Rapide route. Wayne (kiwi) takes pride in what he does and will build a great wheel that should last you a long time if looked after. Yes, a Flow / Hope mix will be "better" but at a much higher cost. As will most other custom built options. 

Rapide's option is the cheapest strong wheelset you'll find unless you go 2nd hand. And then you're potentially in the same boat anyway, unless it's one of the hand-built wheel options listed previously. 

This ^^^

Been riding a Rapidé wheelset for just over 2 years now. Not a single issue. When I started I was weighing in (I like saying that - sounds like I'm getting ready for a fight) at 112kg. Rode the shite out of these wheels, and now at 98kg they are still going strong. Plus, Wayne is a top bloke. You can't go wrong.

Fellow heavy weight here.

I've researched this topic quite a bit. Cheapest and strongest proper wheelset that you will find is Stan Flows on Hope hubs. Wait for a CWC sale ..then you can get them forR5/R6k.

^^^^^ this.

I am extremely happy!

Archived