IRONMAN PE 2018 and CTCT 2018 over the same weekend

RFC311

Whats the min amount of training one can get away with to survive IM? 

(asking for a friend of course)

Survive in 17hours?

Anyone with a fit lifestyle can do that. If you can run a half and ride 100km on the same day you could get through it. The swimming part is contentious.... But should your friend already have an active lifestyle and isn't expecting to qualify for Kona, he should be able to complete the race without having to adjust his daily calendar more than 2 or 3 times a week to double discipline...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also the world cup xco at Stellenbosch?

Sent from my SM-J105F using Tapatalk

oh dear now that is a problem.

What about the people who race UCI MTB XCO, do Ironman and Cape Epic.

But still want to get an argus finish too.

someone should warn Stuart Marais that he is going to have a busy March 2018.

Done or trained for any Ironman event? 

Argus is so big because it is way more accessible. It's a training ride for those doing the full IM. #justsaying. 

Give this man a BELLS! :thumbup:

At least that's two weeks less we'll have to put up with turduckens and their absolute obsession with staying aero that they can't even wave.

(Top tip - if you're climbing a hill at 15km/h, you don't need to be aero!)

Survive in 17hours?

Anyone with a fit lifestyle can do that. If you can run a half and ride 100km on the same day you could get through it. The swimming part is contentious.... But should your friend already have an active lifestyle and isn't expecting to qualify for Kona, he should be able to complete the race without having to adjust his daily calendar more than 2 or 3 times a week to double discipline...

Tempting but 17 hours is too long and I hate running. Must be a throwback to army days.

Tempting but 17 hours is too long and I hate running. Must be a throwback to army days.

Was your friend also in the army? hahahaha

13 hours if you can swim and ride well.. 6hr bike, 70min swim and that leaves you 5 and a half hours to plod out a memorable day....

Whilst watching IM this weekend at one stage the male commentator(wasn't gerald, Not sure his name) said he reckons to finish you can get by on 7 hours a week or 1 hour a day. But my wife and I looked at each other and said no ways. I train more than that for a 100km cycle race. My toppie has done IM 6 times and he trained A LOT more than an hour a day. I remember on weekends he used to ride from home to Haarties, We would drive there. Then he would swim there and then run home. That was like a whole day. 

BUT if I can remember correctly in those days the swim and bike where slightly shorter(3.2km and 160km)

It's also only 2 weeks after the usual Xterra national championship date. I'm not sure how many like to do both and its still possible but not ideal.

Depending on your goals Ironman training can mean that many sacrifices have to be made. I'm not that bothered about missing another CTCT but I can see why some people are a bit annoyed that more sacrifices come because of a date change.

I would recommend entering Ironman whether you want to actually do it or not. Just remember to withdraw between 12 November 2017 and 12 January 2018. :whistling: post-42568-0-61008700-1491382701_thumb.jpg

I would recommend entering Ironman whether you want to actually do it or not. Just remember to withdraw between 12 November 2017 and 12 January 2018. :whistling: attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

lol

Archived