Post "Big Event" blues

NordicElf

Thanks for all the responses. Very interesting to see the different approaches. The thing that is worrying me the most is losing my hard earned fitness. That ctl is plummeting! Came off my big event at 112, it's now 69. I am still riding and most of the time I'm enjoying it. But I am finding it very hard to do indoor sessions and to ride on my own. And even harder to eat well and my next goal is 3 day jock tour, I need to lose some weight, not put any on!

I kind of added paddling to my timetable but I've only been twice! Enjoyed both times I went, so not sure why I'm feeling so lazy! I like being that person that gets up, no matter what and trains with enthusiasm, I don't want to lose it completely.

I think I'll give myself another easy week and only do what I feel like doing and then try again and be disciplined. I'm not competitive at all in terms of results but I usually like training hard. I get that I probably do need to rest a bit. I trained really hard for 6 months and didn't really take that much time off between the years. But I really want to utilise my fitness. Very torn.

Road rides are more enjoyable for me right now but really struggling to find people to ride with in the mornings and I am worried about pushing my luck on my own.

But it seems like it's quite normal and I probably shouldn't be too hard on myself. Clearly though I need to make more cycling friends.

Why not just get a new bike and some other upgrades?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not just get a new bike and some other upgrades?

Haha I did just wonder if a new pair of shoes would help me want to ride more!

My experience is this:

The LÉtape race that was cancelled a few weeks ago was probably the highlight of my cycling for this portion of the year. Our team got together and formulated a training plan we could all manage, and we were all disciplined enough to carry it through, until the news that fateful day - race cancelled!! I for one was devastated. I have never trained as hard as that for any sporting event in my life, and immediately I felt without purpose. Training has slowly resumed again, preparing myself for another race in KZN. 

Having a goal in mind is a very good way to keep the motivation. You must surround yourself with people of similar or better skills so that you never get bored. I supplement my cycling with running (I actually come from a running background), and it's a lovely way to offset the cycling.

Keep it up mate, you'll definitely regret stopping. 

Let that form drop

It will taper anyway as a peak is always temporary

With good mental freshness and the hunger to attack another goal, you can build an even better peak

Well- I finally washed my race bike post epic... now to get enough motivation to service it... might take a while still... :)

If your next goal is Jock tour enter it nothing to get motivation going lile a paid up entry

Edited by Sitting@89

I felt like this after Letape was cancelled, the week after that was really bad. Just didn't feel like getting on the bike. Took it easy for 2 weeks, then got going again.

Now enjoy it again and the break has helped.

It's never going to be smooth sailings, just fight back and keep the mind strong.

Well- I finally washed my race bike post epic... now to get enough motivation to service it... might take a while still... :)

I chatted to a guy once who admitted he never touched his bike for 6 months after he had done Epic.

I chatted to a guy once who admitted he never touched his bike for 6 months after he had done Epic.

I know one it took 3 years to get back on a bike... another has not ridden again... sold bikes... got married and got fat... now divorced and still fat.

I know one it took 3 years to get back on a bike... another has not ridden again... sold bikes... got married and got fat... now divorced and still fat.

This is what I'm afraid of!

I ride yesterday and I genuinely enjoyed most of it. Was a group ride and there were nice people to chat to. Forced myself out for a 2 hour ride this morning, the weather wasn't good, I was on my own and I didn't enjoy it. But I did decide I'm going to try track cycling.

Yah. I know a guy very well who cycled from JHB to CT did the Argus and cycled back again....when he hit home he hung his bike up and never cycled again!...but, he did start trail running, still does it, and very successfully as well. 

This is what I'm afraid of!

I ride yesterday and I genuinely enjoyed most of it. Was a group ride and there were nice people to chat to. Forced myself out for a 2 hour ride this morning, the weather wasn't good, I was on my own and I didn't enjoy it. But I did decide I'm going to try track cycling.

I doubt thats going to happen (fat and divorced- assuming even you are married) both require a few other contributing factors than just not riding for a few weeks,...when you force something like going riding when you dont feel like it, then it just becomes another stress in your day, so sure, try track cycling, maybe its your mojo, but let it go, take it day by day, one morning you will wake up and wonder what all the fuss was about.!