Sani2C Commuting Challenge

cat-i

Due to various reasons (all out of leave, couldn't justify/afford the entry fees, couldn't get an entry, too unfit, still riding a 26er) we couldn't enter the Sani2C.

But now we're missing out on (among other things) the pre-ride excitement, motivation to train, the Sani2C vibe, the doughnuts and vanilla milkies, Sani2C singletrack, a good challenge, and a lot of mileage in a short time.

So Nancy and I are going to try to commute the Sani2C total distance (and possibly ascent too) during the Sani2C week (8-12 May). I'm saying 'try to' because we're not entirely sure that this will be possible. But once we've said it, it's out there and then it's more likely that we'll give it a go as good as we can.

263 km

3722m ascent

Our commute is between Northcliff/Randburg and Sandton; the daily round-trip commute varies from 45 - 49 km per day, so we'll have to be creative with routes to get closer to 53km per day. The current vertical ascent per day is around 700m - we'll have to up that to 744 to get to the total Sani2C ascent.

I've created a little challenge on Endomondo for this:

https://www.endomondo.com/challenges/32774366

Anyone else wants to give this a go?

Edit: The challenge ended prematurely - I never checked the time on the end date. And you can't edit this after the challenge has ended. Endomondo suggests you create a new challenge instead. So here's the new link if anyone is interested to see their stats:

https://www.endomond...lenges/33065451

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok that will be two days commute for me , not to sure I will get to the elevation .

What time in the morning  do you have to start to ride 65 in the morning before work?  :eek:

What time in the morning  do you have to start to ride 65 in the morning before work?  :eek:

Somefing like 4am . I will follow your efforts  :whistling:

Can I do it on a road bike?

Of course you can!

Haven't thought of 'rules' for this ... but the only one I can think of, is it has to qualify as a 'commute' 

I live 1.3km away from work.  Commuting won't work for me unless I get VERY creative with my routing...

Of course you can!

Haven't thought of 'rules' for this ... but the only one I can think of, is it has to qualify as a 'commute' 

I'll try. Distance should not be a challenge but the elevation might be.  The best I would be able to do is max 450m of climb per day.  But I'll hop in for the fun.

Oh dear.... she's put it out there  :whistling:

It was much easier when it was just an idea. 

I guess I'm committed now  :blush:

Sadly (or whooppee rather  :devil:  ) I have nowhere to 'commute' to so no go for me ....  :whistling:

With your recent escapades leading up to Tonteldoos you probably need 1 day to complete the challenge

Broke a chain on the way home on Wednesday.

Lessons:

- if anything mechanical happens during the challenge week, there will be very little opportunity to make up the missing kms.

- check over the bike this weekend to make sure everything is in good working order.

- check the tools and other equipment that will travel with me every day.

Broke a chain on the way home on Wednesday.

Lessons:

- if anything mechanical happens during the challenge week, there will be very little opportunity to make up the missing kms.

- check over the bike this weekend to make sure everything is in good working order.

- check the tools and other equipment that will travel with me every day.

I am wondering wether I will be using a bike or a sleigh  :eek:

Almost Time!

Nancy and I commuting today as a last 'tapering' ride.

Checklist:

- clothes for 5 days next week at the office 

- washing the bike tomorrow

- getting and topping up with Stan's tomorrow

- bike light charger at the office in case I need to charge here too

- What have I missed?

Archived