Cost of 3d printing?

Kalahari Vegmot

I don't have an answer for you, but thats interesting.

According to the link it hasn't been tested.

Would like to have some feedback on here if you ever get it done

I printed 2x brackets which look and are sized similar to out front gps mounts for a project I'm busy with on my IDT. I designed them myself on a cad software suite and sent them to an engineering firm to print. Ended up paying around 150 a bracket. 

May sound expensive, but given the time it took to print, and that they had to alter something in the design I found it fair.

What would it cost to 3d print two SPD SL cleats like these?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1801888

Ps if you say how much it might cost I might take you up on it...

My boss is away till Friday, when he gets back I'll ask him if he's willing to have it done - I think he'll be more than happy to have something to print :D 

My boss is away till Friday, when he gets back I'll ask him if he's willing to have it done - I think he'll be more than happy to have something to print :D

Have you got an idea on what material would be best to print it with ?

ABS / PETG / PLA or a Carbon infused exotic ...

(I'm asking, new to 3d Printing) 

Have you got an idea on what material would be best to print it with ?

ABS / PETG / PLA or a Carbon infused exotic ...

(I'm asking, new to 3d Printing)

No idea; my thinking is that you want something strong, but not too hard, otherwise it'll eat the plastic spring thingy at the back of the pedal?

(Would love to know the thingy's real name btw)

No idea; my thinking is that you want something strong, but not too hard, otherwise it'll eat the plastic spring thingy at the back of the pedal?

(Would love to know the thingy's real name btw)

I use 3D printing quite a lot for pattern making. I find that unless you go for really high level printing there isn't much structural strength to the item. That makes it quite pricy for a once off. If there is a real demand for this I can make up a mould and make these cleats out of polyurethane, would be pretty indestructible while also having give not to damage your pedals, would probably need about 5 sets to make it feasible.

Would not risk it for cleats !!

Agreed!

I'm in the 3D printing industry and I would not use any 3D printed part for anything safety/structural related at this stage.

We are developing a Laser melting Titanium powder 3D printer for the aviation industry. As you know Titanium is &%$ strong. However, the test part I am planning to print as part of our shakedown of the machine is an out-front mount for a bike computer. That tells you the level of confidence I currently have in 3D printed parts. Next step might be a bottle cage  :whistling:.

I would not recommend 3D printing cleats on a FDM(Fused Deposition Modelling) printer, which are the common desktop printers. These machines generally print with ABS material, which is brittle and has zero fatigue life-span.

We specialize in 3D printing, laser sintering, rapid prototyping and rapid manufacturing. We 3D print in materials from nylon to titanium. Our nylon laser sintered parts are unbelievably durable, and can be suitable for cleats manufacturing. We have not tried it yet, but we have done other high load working parts in the nylon. I guess a set of cleats will set you back around R600, and 10 sets maybe around R4000. The more you print, the more you save.

We can also look at manufacturing titanium or tool steel cleats, which will set you back much more. PM me if you would like a quote.

http://www.cut.ac.za/crpm/ 

Agreed!

I'm in the 3D printing industry and I would not use any 3D printed part for anything safety/structural related at this stage.

We are developing a Laser melting Titanium powder 3D printer for the aviation industry. As you know Titanium is &%$ strong. However, the test part I am planning to print as part of our shakedown of the machine is an out-front mount for a bike computer. That tells you the level of confidence I currently have in 3D printed parts. Next step might be a bottle cage  :whistling:.

There's a Bespoke bike builder in the UK printing decorative Titanium lugs for bike frames out of a 3D printer into which he bonds carbon tubes. It's pretty impressive.

There's a Bespoke bike builder in the UK printing decorative Titanium lugs for bike frames out of a 3D printer into which he bonds carbon tubes. It's pretty impressive.

Let me clarify my position: It is possible to do 3d printed cycling components which are strong enough, but it tends to become uneconomical compared to mass produced parts, even if you buy those parts at full retail price IMHO.

3D printed parts start to have have serious value once you utilise the design freedom it gives you and you then manufacture a component that almost no other technique can achieve. Imagine a thin walled tube with a lattice structure inside(Photo below). Serious strength for minimized weight.

Out of interest, Josh0, can you give us a quote on that CAD model of the cleats that Kalahari Vegmot shared for a production run of 10 pairs, thus 20 parts total. Lets compare the cost for Nylon and then whatever metal you currently have in your machine, probably some sort of Stainless Steel..? This is just to give the guys an idea of the cost range one has to consider when doing 3D printing.

I'll venture a guess on the metal cleats to come in around R4000 for a pair...?

post-27827-0-09218700-1493197360_thumb.png

I will give feedback on the costs once I get quotes from our rapid prototyping dept.

;)

Are you still keen to have it done with ABS to try ?

Disclaimer if doesn't work and you break it's your own problem :D

what is this?

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:816659

Edit: Ah just saw this

I think I'll be sticking to Shimano cleats for now then... 

Archived