Cost of 3d printing?

Kalahari Vegmot

Sorry for the late reply guys, I was out of the office for a few days.

So here are the costs:

10 sets printed in PA2200 nylon wil set you back R5 500.00

4 sets printed in MS1 tool steel will set you back R 22 400.00, we can only fit 4 sets per platform in the machine.

The nylon can be a cost effective solution.

Sorry for the late reply guys, I was out of the office for a few days.

So here are the costs:

10 sets printed in PA2200 nylon wil set you back R5 500.00

4 sets printed in MS1 tool steel will set you back R 22 400.00, we can only fit 4 sets per platform in the machine.

The nylon can be a cost effective solution.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tool steel cleats work out at R5600 per pair, my R4000 guess was a bit optimistic.  :whistling:

Even the Nylon sets at R550 is not realistic.

But that is the issue we still need to fix regarding the thought process behind 3D printing: We need to think differently about the design of components because we have this amazing tech that you can do new things with. BUT, you need to design for this new technology and not simply try to challenge injection molded parts on their level.

I use 3D printing quite a lot for pattern making. I find that unless you go for really high level printing there isn't much structural strength to the item. That makes it quite pricy for a once off. If there is a real demand for this I can make up a mould and make these cleats out of polyurethane, would be pretty indestructible while also having give not to damage your pedals, would probably need about 5 sets to make it feasible.

This is your best solution..

Pull a silicon mould off your 3D print which you have done in high Quality (SLS/SLA process)

Then cast some Urethane cleats.

Wont be as tough as Injection moulded reinforced Nylon but could come close.

Do these Cleats have a special float or something? Why do you want them?

Regards

who can 3D scan an object like an out of production cleat (plastic)

and recreate it as a 3D print ?

post-85316-0-84160200-1493984167_thumb.jpg

who can 3D scan an object like an out of production cleat (plastic)

and recreate it as a 3D print ?

I dont own a 3d scanner, but can definately draw that up in CAD for you. Can send it off to be 3d printed too or can guide you to some reputable 3d printinf companies.

I dont own a 3d scanner, but can definately draw that up in CAD for you. Can send it off to be 3d printed too or can guide you to some reputable 3d printinf companies.

pm ed you

We need to think differently about the design of components because we have this amazing tech that you can do new things with. BUT, you need to design for this new technology and not simply try to challenge injection molded parts on their level.

100% agree, you have the ability to redesign due to the complexity not being as much of a challenge as it would to something like injection moulding.

There's a Bespoke bike builder in the UK printing decorative Titanium lugs for bike frames out of a 3D printer into which he bonds carbon tubes. It's pretty impressive.

ROBOT bikes?

Those guys are using proper aerospace tech, as far as i understand it.

Nice thing about ROBOT is that there are over 200,000 bikes sizes - they fit the bike TO YOU, and not the other way around.

Archived