Bottom Bracket Help Needed

ABrooks

Hello fellow Hubbers

I need some help with understanding the compatibility between bottom brackets and cranksets. I currently have a 3x8 Shimano groupset with what I think is a square taper bottom bracket, see image attached.

I would like to upgrade to something like a 2x10 groupset when my current system needs replacing since I have to replace the entire crankset anyway. Now my question is, what bottom brackets will be compatible with my frame, also what crank will I need to get for said bottom bracket? Lastly would the crankset be compatible with a different type of bottom bracket if I decide to upgrade my frame later on?

I just want to mention that I know the cassette, front/rear derailleur, snifters and chain would also need to be replaced, my question is thus only concerning the bottom bracket compatibility with my frame and the crankset I would require to get.

Input on Sram and Shimano would be appreciated, however price wise I'm guessing Shimano is the way to go?

post-84485-0-87943400-1493398286_thumb.jpg

Easiest fix for you in my opinion is a shimano hollowtech II BB and then your choice of shimano crank either SLX, XT or XTR.

You have a treaded BB. Therefor you can only use a treaded BB no matter what you want to install. The BB you can use is: the square taper you have, Travativ ISIS Drive - similar to square taper but have splines (not to be confused with that extreme dudes). The BB for you will be the external type, where the bearings is on the outside of the frame - Shimano.

Thank you all for clearing things up a bit. So lets say I upgrade to hollowtech II, will the new crank I need be compatible with newer bb's if I decide to buy a new frame later on with a different bb?

Get a Shimano BB70 bottom bracket in the correct size, and pair with XT crankset.

End van prent.

Or suffer your wallet and sanity and go SRAM with a GXP bottom bracket.

Get a Shimano BB70 bottom bracket in the correct size, and pair with XT crankset.

End van prent.

Or suffer your wallet and sanity and go SRAM with a GXP bottom bracket.

Get A raceface BB those shimano ones love failing when ever someone looks at them skeef.

Had the raceface for almost 9months now and its still butter smooth

Get A raceface BB those shimano ones love failing when ever someone looks at them skeef.

Had the raceface for almost 9months now and its still butter smooth

Thanks BaGear, will have a look. Where can I look for a Raceface bb?

Thanks BaGear, will have a look. Where can I look for a Raceface bb?

Got mine local , if you can't find one close by just order from crc.

Maybe evobikes have but I'm not sure

• 5 months later...

Okay so little help needed

BB is poked , extreme creaking and I can feel play when I wiggle the crank arms 

According to specs I've got A PF30 ( bearings press into frame inside cups) 

Now I want to get wheels mfg BB cause normal BB's are about 800 bucks ( bloody ridiculous) and the wheels one I can just gooi new bearings ( will probs cost 400 at the most) 

Here is the issue 

The one on CWC says outboard , now my bearings sit flush inside the BB , can I use this BB from CRC and then just not just that plastic spacer or Do I just need to order the one from Wheels MFg ?

post-46013-0-98103000-1508941055_thumb.png

post-46013-0-58947700-1508941069_thumb.png

post-46013-0-35747900-1508941078_thumb.png

Okay so little help needed

BB is poked , extreme creaking and I can feel play when I wiggle the crank arms 

According to specs I've got A PF30 ( bearings press into frame inside cups) 

Now I want to get wheels mfg BB cause normal BB's are about 800 bucks ( bloody ridiculous) and the wheels one I can just gooi new bearings ( will probs cost 400 at the most) 

Here is the issue 

The one on CWC says outboard , now my bearings sit flush inside the BB , can I use this BB from CRC and then just not just that plastic spacer or Do I just need to order the one from Wheels MFg ?

bump

Archived