First Full Sus - Help a NOOB

Vee-Man

If you enjoy going fast or riding a bike that pedals efficiently, buy a race bike, if you enjoy technical trails and don`t care about going fast or efficiency, buy a trail bike.

Dude that's just so wrong it's crazy. 110mm / 120mm bikes do not pedal badly, nor are they inefficient. Just because you've got a hard-on for the Sido and Silverback's "Superior in Every Way" suspension design, it doesn't mean that anything other than what you ride is ***. 

You can go JUST as fast on a camber as on an Epic, and just as fast on a Jeffsy as a Sido. I beat a MAMIL on a Scalpel on the way back up the main drag in Tokai on Sunday. Does that make my 160mm tank a more efficient climber than the scalpel, which is likely 3kg lighter than mine? 

Stop it with the BS already, please, Mr Pro Racer. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no way that everybody will enjoy a trail bike as much as a race bike. Tastes differ and it seems most people like to play race snake and for that a race bike is better. My taste and also the taste of most people I ride with is to go as fast as possible and would enjoy a race bike more for that reason.

Good day Ladies and Gentleman

I am sure this topic has been debated to death many times.

A quick introduction, I have been slowly cruising around on the Tygerberg trails, I am a member of Tygerberg MTB Club and recently did Joberg2c (withdrew on day 7 due to an injury)

My current bike was only intended for the occasional ride as I have been more of a roadie.

On Joberg2c the bug hit me really hard, I need to get rid of my Silverback spectra comp and get a decent bike for the stage events I want to do.

I have a budget of about 35K.

a trip to CWC revealed 2 options I liked. (based on my VERY ltd knowledge)

• The Merida Ninety six 6000
  • The Giant Anthem X 29er One

Fellow riders, are there better options to consider? I am not keen on a used bike, would prefer new.

Looking forward to advice

Many thanks 

So days 1 - 3 got to you too.... :whistling:

Don't worry, my next J2C will also be on a dual susser, my arse was raw from bumping around on my HT over all those grass "polle" and the corrugated gravel roads.

Edit: As Hellocolour said, have a look at the Jeffsy YT. One of my friends (also a Hubber) took possession of his a few weeks back.

What an amazing bike, build quality and attention to detail is really good, and it is specced really well.

Trail bike for sure. The difference between race bikes and trail bikes now days wrt climbing is not as significant as you think, sure a steeper bike allows you to keep the front wheel down on steeper stuff, amongst some other small things, but just adopt a different climbing technique and your golden. You will feel safer, more comfortable and you will be less limited to riding the newer more technical stuff to with confidence. Did I mention because of the 29 inch wheels they roll well and can carry u for miles too???

For the tygerberg trail network 100 mm is fine but the fun is at 120mm -130mm, that's when u can open the bikes up and really feel alive. Hit the rock gardens easily, ride steeper stuff and hit those big drops and some jumps that you see the other okes smash.

Stating that a bike is faster is totally one sided, it may be faster at something but at a sacrifice of another. I'm pretty much a soul rider and I really enjoy having fun on the trail, race bikes you are very much on your toes and always looking for smoother lines to take to accommodate less travel. It's also a harder ride where trail bikes have more squish so alot less hurt on your body.

There are plenty of demo bikes around. Go out try a few trail bikes then try race bikes. If u not racing every weekend then leave the race bike for the okes in the top 20.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Not sure how race focused you are, if you're out to ride CT trails and do some stage races or if it's stage race focused or what size frame you need but YT (yup I've posted it before) have a few last years models of the Jeffsy 29'r at crazy prices.

Read the reviews, it's an amazing bike anyway and with the base model slashed to R29K (saving around R12k) you're getting an awesome trail bike that you could easily do longer days on if you're not going for podiums or focused on 100% on position.

Doubt there is much out there to beat it as it comes with Reverb dropper, Pike RC fork, Monarch R rear can, 140mm all around, SLX and RaceFace mix. Heck you even get decent tyres in double Onza Ibex to roll on. 

This you would happily take to the U 2 days @ Piket bo berg and ride the best single track 2 days about! 

http://za.yt-industries.com/detail/index/sArticle/662/sCategory/575

They also have the 2 comps above it up @ R39K (saving around 11k a bit) with XT or Sram GX and the Pike RTX3 and Monarch RTC3

http://za.yt-industries.com/cat/index/sCategory/563 

No Chance that there is stock of a large frame on the YT? Looks really decent

There is no way that everybody will enjoy a trail bike as much as a race bike. Tastes differ and it seems most people like to play race snake and for that a race bike is better. My taste and also the taste of most people I ride with is to go as fast as possible and would enjoy a race bike more for that reason.

"play at race snake" being the operative words. Most people riding steep race snake bikes should not be riding them at all. Stop trying to prevent us educating this poor guy. What we need is RMBT - Radical Mountain Bike Transformation. Amandla!

Trail bike for sure. The difference between race bikes and trail bikes now days wrt climbing is not as significant as you think, sure a steeper bike allows you to keep the front wheel down on steeper stuff, amongst some other small things, but just adopt a different climbing technique and your golden. You will feel safer, more comfortable and you will be less limited to riding the newer more technical stuff to with confidence. Did I mention because of the 29 inch wheels they roll well and can carry u for miles too???

For the tygerberg trail network 100 mm is fine but the fun is at 120mm -130mm, that's when u can open the bikes up and really feel alive. Hit the rock gardens easily, ride steeper stuff and hit those big drops and some jumps that you see the other okes smash.

Stating that a bike is faster is totally one sided, it may be faster at something but at a sacrifice of another. I'm pretty much a soul rider and I really enjoy having fun on the trail, race bikes you are very much on your toes and always looking for smoother lines to take to accommodate less travel. It's also a harder ride where trail bikes have more squish so alot less hurt on your body.

There are plenty of demo bikes around. Go out try a few trail bikes then try race bikes. If u not racing every weekend then leave the race bike for the okes in the top 20.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Never a truer word spoken - especially the bike testing part.

I am by no means a race snake and am out there to be out there and enjoy the journey. Race times etc matter very little to me. 

The riding I enjoy is the technical stuff, and "racing" down nice flowing single track with little jumps and burms etc 

I am by no means a race snake and am out there to be out there and enjoy the journey. Race times etc matter very little to me. 

The riding I enjoy is the technical stuff, and "racing" down nice flowing single track with little jumps and burms etc 

Well then, there you go. You'll be FAR happier with a trail bike. 

As per my suggestions, but add the following:

Trance

Stumpjumper (I believe Spaz still has a few 2016's?)

Silverback Slider

Jeffsy (this bike is AWESOME)

If you had a bit more budget I'd SERIOUSLY recommend you try out one of the Banshees or Transitions. It may be an option for you anyway - port your parts across, and all you'll have to do is buy a new fork and maybe a wheelset. Tested a Spitfire recently, and it's a bloody FANTASTIC bike. I hear the lower travel Prime and transition's Smuggler are also an absolute hoot to ride. 

Hit up Stoke suspension works and ask for a test ride... If your existing bike is already kitted out, a frame & fork option may work out for you... 

No Chance that there is stock of a large frame on the YT? Looks really decent

Not too sure. Check the links and the models on their outlet page I posted, it give you the current availability. Might also be worth sending them a mail and asking if they have a large knocking about or a large demo bike. I got my bike off the agents and it was their demo bike and was immaculate. Also check the YT size guide on the page as from what I remember YT come up on the shorter sizes. I'm a 5'9" and seem to remember that was being classed as a L (for the first time ever!!). 

The spec for that price is awesome and the bike is a winner. 

I object! I've never ridden a scalpel in my life. And if you beat me i was riding my merida which weighs 14kg.

You can go JUST as fast on a camber as on an Epic, and just as fast on a Jeffsy as a Sido. I beat a MAMIL on a Scalpel on the way back up the main drag in Tokai on Sunday. Does that make my 160mm tank a more efficient climber than the scalpel, which is likely 3kg lighter than mine?

The riding I enjoy is the technical stuff, and "racing" down nice flowing single track with little jumps and burms etc

Then we are on the same page.

There are so many options open to u right now.

Its all very exciting & scary at the same time, isn't it?

Don't stress, no matter what u get, it should be good. Bad bikes are pretty rare, I haven't ridden one yet.

Some are just better at doing some things than others, depending what the designers are wanting out of the bike.

The perfect bike is just a myth.

Archived