Expedition Africa 2017

dave303e

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we came upon these lovely sweet irishmen who went astray in the darkness, such pretty pictures they were painting!

post-1830-0-74782900-1495637029_thumb.png

I've started adding some text to them - this is CapeStFrancis overshooting the buffalo tracks - looks pretty

post-1830-0-44197600-1495637665_thumb.png

and this is how the official race photog pops up in all the right places!

attachicon.gifBruceDay.png

yea I saw on one day the one guy did about 380 odd KM chasing you guys

eastwind got into the last transition 3 hours behind the leaders, 7 hours ahead of castle lite. They went straight onto the trek and took 24hours to finish from there, 17hours off the winners, and 30seconds behind castle lite!

that is a tough pill to swallow

post-1830-0-40314800-1495706082_thumb.png

Suggestions for an entry level, first timer AR race please? 

I'm no super athlete but I've ridden Transbaviaans pretty comfortably (13hours odd) and can do a running marathon no problem... kayaking, no expert, but pretty sure it won't be a problem. Would like to stick with these three disciplines mainly. Can swim well too if that's an option.

Preferably something closer to Joburg and with reasonable pricing  :thumbup:

Andrew Steer get hold of a team and get yourself onto Kineticgear.co.za they have 120km events in August and October

+- 50% mtb, 30% trek, 20% kayak, can take 10-24 hours to complete

They are great events and not impossible even to the untrained, not super ridiculous like EA in terms of hike a bike and cold and rough, but from there the 250km event is then in March and then EA in May/June. If you want any help getting into the sport, feel free to pm me, there are always teams looking for people...

In September (9th and 10th) there will be a 120km adventure race in Parys - also a Kinetic Events event.  Try to find 3 friends to make a team and just go have fun on your first race.  Alternatively you can enter as a pair.  But the main category is mixed 4 - usually three guys and a girl.

Also be on the look for the next sprint race (25km) in June by Marks Park Sports club - for teams of 2.

Now it's time to look at those nav whoopsies!

here is a goodie, Thunderbolt AR, eventual 2nd place racers. this cost them about 3hours, and must have been serious sense of humour failure

attachicon.gifthunderboltMTB3.png

Eina bliksem! Not a section I would like to do twice, especially at night. Can only imagine the disappointment of the navigator in him/herself when he realized what went wrong, and what lies ahead that has already been done. Sleep wastes time...not. Eastwind also proofed it.

Made a couple of booboos myself on the last MTB. Missed 2 turn-offs costing around 40min on the last sleepwalking mtb. Also a couple of slower route choices. Probably not that bad considering what could have been.

Just started to loose hope on the Bingo(!) Dunes CP when we got hauled in by the awesome threesome (Team Running Shade). Our jaws dropped as this English and Frenchman nav combo orienteered us spot on to CP48 using the stars. I learned a lot this race.

Eina bliksem! Not a section I would like to do twice, especially at night. Can only imagine the disappointment of the navigator in him/herself when he realized what went wrong, and what lies ahead that has already been done. Sleep wastes time...not. Eastwind also proofed it.

Made a couple of booboos myself on the last MTB. Missed 2 turn-offs costing around 40min on the last sleepwalking mtb. Also a couple of slower route choices. Probably not that bad considering what could have been.

Just started to loose hope on the Bingo(!) Dunes CP when we got hauled in by the awesome threesome (Team Running Shade). Our jaws dropped as this English and Frenchman nav combo orienteered us spot on to CP48 using the stars. I learned a lot this race.

on the gamtoos paddle we turned off our lights and I said I could nav using the stars, alec pulls out his compass and says, ok what's the bearing currently? Using the southern cross and some lucky guesswork I got it spot on as 220' - that shut him up!

on the gamtoos paddle we turned off our lights and I said I could nav using the stars, alec pulls out his compass and says, ok what's the bearing currently? Using the southern cross and some lucky guesswork I got it spot on as 220' - that shut him up!

HAHAHAHAHA

We turned our lights off too and I used time to Nav the river. The 1 check point was pretty easy to find and after that it was a straight shoot out for the Transition.

Looking at the rivers we planned our swims on the way down and then replanned them when the tide came in a bit!

The water seemed cold and poisonous at night but once the sun was up it was so pleasant.

6000 Points from vitality for EA, haha, less than ironman but then again I highly doubt it is healthy what we put our bodies through

Archived