Expedition Africa 2017

dave303e

Hope this works

Basically this is an extract with the end of the Long 59km hike in Baviaans going into the Osseberg crossings sorry I made it in a rush but the right hand CP22 should read CP23.

So we hiked in from the west to CP 21(before 6pm to avoid dark zone) then hiked to T6, jumped on bikes to go through to CP22 to what should be named CP23. and than is pretty much exactly what you have to make your decisions.

post-57821-0-08412900-1495531020_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope this works

Basically this is an extract with the end of the Long 59km hike in Baviaans going into the Osseberg crossings sorry I made it in a rush but the right hand CP22 should read CP23.

So we hiked in from the west to CP 21(before 6pm to avoid dark zone) then hiked to T6, jumped on bikes to go through to CP22 to what should be named CP23. and than is pretty much exactly what you have to make your decisions.

attachicon.gifEA.jpeg

I recognize that map - but have ridden it from CP 23 to CP22 then T6

OK cool, so there are some trails/roads  marked on the maps.  That section between CP 22 and 23 is all along trails by the looks of it.

What was the story with the grass and having to carry the bikes in one of the legs?

Which leg was the toughest?  I heard that the bike leg after the baviaans trek was pretty hectic.

OK cool, so there are some trails/roads  marked on the maps.  That section between CP 22 and 23 is all along trails by the looks of it.

I haven't done an adventure race before but in my experience sometimes those dotted trails only exist on the map.

But given that it was a bike leg I assume most of it was actually some form of jeep track at least?

the topo maps are the normal 1:50000 topo maps you get from the NGI.

there are roads and allsorts on them but not always accurate and some roads and paths change...

We never see a suggested route so you just thumbsuck it and select according to what you think will work best. Stick to roads and paths on the bikes, if you brave and it is open you can tigerline the hike legs.

this particular race there aren't normally significant route choices, in general pick the obvious route as you have been 'guided' that way. This sucks (in my mind) as route choice and options are an important part of the sport - this is the only significant route choice(and was reportedly given the ok by RD), and probably would have been quicker - especially if doing mordor at night.

https://www.google.co.za/maps/dir/-33.6721777,24.612877/-33.6246244,24.7467653/@-33.6786613,24.5867276,13z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0

some videos to watch

this is from a real pro - 

this is from me, alles is done on a Cat S60, no computers involved!

all in the process of getting a blanket?!

yes - last year

only came out of those river crossings late at night.

I haven't done an adventure race before but in my experience sometimes those dotted trails only exist on the map.

But given that it was a bike leg I assume most of it was actually some form of jeep track at least?

For a large portion of Mordor you don't really 'ride'... You carry your bike in chest high water or through reed beds while criss crossing the river.

Those of us with Freedom Challenge experience were lucky to have been there and understood how the section worked. Some teams got really caught up and spent a large portion of time and burn a lot of matches getting through.

You are correct in assuming that as a bike leg most of it should be rideable, but it wouldn't be a proper AR if it was all straightforward.... if it was easy more people would do it. I have swum my bike across a few dams/rivers in my time...

How does one get to practice something like this?  I've done a one day event in Montagu a few years ago with Quantum Adventures and it was great!  Exactly as described above with the maps and navigation.  I loved it!  But they don't do those anymore...

I'd be very keen to have some of these events in WC.  Or are there already some and I just don't know about them?

How does one get to practice something like this?  I've done a one day event in Montagu a few years ago with Quantum Adventures and it was great!  Exactly as described above with the maps and navigation.  I loved it!  But they don't do those anymore...

I'd be very keen to have some of these events in WC.  Or are there already some and I just don't know about them?

Unfortunately the last group of guys to run a series (hikerbiker was part of the organiser group) WCAD decided to disband, leaving the Western Cape with zero AR's on the event calendar.

There are a few whispered rumours in the mill that there may be a revival, but title sponsors and interest needs to be shown.

The core of us will jump at the chance to race locally, but getting new guys to commit and still keep the races fun and challenging for the old mob is tricky.

Title sponsor 1st though, then maybe a 4 leg 100km ish race series could be rebirthed.

So if any of you want to put your company flags on the start line of some local races, let us know!

Unfortunately the last group of guys to run a series (hikerbiker was part of the organiser group) WCAD decided to disband, leaving the Western Cape with zero AR's on the event calendar.

There are a few whispered rumours in the mill that there may be a revival, but title sponsors and interest needs to be shown.

The core of us will jump at the chance to race locally, but getting new guys to commit and still keep the races fun and challenging for the old mob is tricky.

Title sponsor 1st though, then maybe a 4 leg 100km ish race series could be rebirthed.

So if any of you want to put your company flags on the start line of some local races, let us know!

ja, we put on about 15 of these 100km races over about 3 years.

best thing was it attracted the coolest of people, no big egos!

We kept our entry fees really cheap, it was something like R350 for a 100km race(and we move your kit around) - when you were paying the same for a 30km trailrun.

For me it wasn't really a money thing but family and life got in the way - we just covered costs and had a bit of a kitty growing to buy more kit. While you could make a bit on the side with a bit more effort/sponsors, it is probably impossible to scale up to a sustainable business without a TV show or something going along with it.

BUT if we get some sort of reboot going, will instagram/fb/tweet/bikehub the crap out of it and you'll be the first to know!

Now it's time to look at those nav whoopsies!

here is a goodie, Thunderbolt AR, eventual 2nd place racers. this cost them about 3hours, and must have been serious sense of humour failure

post-1830-0-72172600-1495634139_thumb.png

for disclosure, here is our only real whoopsies

last trek leg, lots of us got confused by this phantom road

post-1830-0-82729600-1495634879_thumb.png

Edited by hikerbiker