Spec Epic FSR Comp vs Spec Camber Comp 29 vs Scott Spark 950

Tacet

Hi all,

I used to ride a 2012 Scott Spark 950, which was stolen the weekend before last.  Insurance is now paying out, and I'm looking for a replacement.

Thus far the options on the table are as per the subject:

Spec Epic FSR Comp - R38k

Spec Camber Comp 29 - R34k

Scott Spark 950 - ???

I'm not sure about the Spark's price, though I suspect that Anton from Cycle House will be able to offer it at a price fairly close to the Epic FSR's.  A friend recently bought a new Spark 950 from The Bicycle Company for about R42k, so that is probably the upper limit for the Spark's price.

My general riding is the Pretoria surroundings - Rosemary and the like.  The most technical riding I do is probably the Trailseeker's 70s, and there are a couple of places that are beyond my capabilities. 

I was very happy with my old Spark 950; if it wasn't stolen I would have kept it for a long time to come. 

Although I love Specialized, and am on one - I would recommend staying away from the Epic for this year. The 2018 model will be completely revamped to have longer and slacker geometry, much like the Scott Spark. And on top of this, I just think that it is a wat to specialized (no pun intended) xc bike for the most of us - unless you are a very keen racer.

On the other hand, the Camber is an awesome bike, and if the option was Camber or Epic, I would say Camber. The fact that you have thrown the Scott Spark in there would have me leaning towards the Spark - it just seems like the perfect mix of Epic and Camber to me, and the pricing is good.

Like I said, I ride Spez (for the last 10 years or so), but if I were in the market for a new XC oriented trail bike, the Spark would be at the top of my list. I would go for the 940 though - more on par with the Epic and Camber in terms of components specs.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Los the Epic, it's between the Camber and the Spark. And to wit, it'll be down to the one that tickles you more. 

Take both for a test, see which one you like better and pick that one. They're both excellent bikes, and you won't go wrong on either. 

Epic for racing for position on XCO / XCM only. 

I would buy the Camber if I were you. Mine, which is a week old today, rides like it can go for hours, the geometry is slack enough for long hours on the trails, yet no so slack that a Trailseeker marathon would be a slog. I feel it's a good fit between Epic and Stumpy, leaning more to the Stumpjumper side of things. I cannot really comment on the Scott, but they look good. Camber is more XC, Epic is more marathon.

I reckon the fact you don't really ride technical stuff could change with the Camber, as it is very forgiving, at least mine is the way I ride.

I ride a Camber and really like it, but the geometry of the Scott actually suits me better.

I think the Scott is better value for money, and if you can stretch your budget slightly, try and get the 940.

Thanks for the replies!  I was tempted by the Epic, based purely on its looks (I like the sleek styling), but I think I'll skip that, then.

Cycle House's team are all down at the Sani2C, so the shop will only be open on Monday again.  In the meantime I'll try to testdrive a Camber.