[Event] The 36ONE MTB Challenge 2018

Tanya De Abreu Fernandes

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You two guys (Dane & Fanie) are not helping a newbie at all with this talk... ;)

The other thing that messes with your mind is the darkness. The moon will be waxing crescent, and sets at 22:03 - so we're going to have 8 hours of complete darkness where all you can see is the puddle of light in front of you, and maybe a few flashy red lights up in the distance.

You can't see the horizon, you can't see where the road goes, and you can't see the dogs barking at you barely 2 metres off the side of the road.

A word of warning - while it's fun chasing red flashy lights, not all red flashy lights are cyclists. Seeing a red flashy light high up in the sky on the horizon is not a fellow cyclist climbing a monster hill, it's probably a cell phone tower. And it's soul destroying when you realise you've been killing yourself for an hour only to pass a stationary monolith...

You two guys (Dane & Fanie) are not helping a newbie at all with this talk... ;)

You ride solo, you ride your own race hboli4....do what's best for you according to your training, endurance and ability.

Don't get fazed by all the talk...lol. Its just pent up energy ready to give it horns!!!! Ne' boys!?  :clap:

18 days to GO!!!  :whistling:

The other thing that messes with your mind is the darkness. The moon will be waxing crescent, and sets at 22:03 - so we're going to have 8 hours of complete darkness where all you can see is the puddle of light in front of you, and maybe a few flashy red lights up in the distance.

You can't see the horizon, you can't see where the road goes, and you can't see the dogs barking at you barely 2 metres off the side of the road.

A word of warning - while it's fun chasing red flashy lights, not all red flashy lights are cyclists. Seeing a red flashy light high up in the sky on the horizon is not a fellow cyclist climbing a monster hill, it's probably a cell phone tower. And it's soul destroying when you realise you've been killing yourself for an hour only to pass a stationary monolith...

Iiiiiiiii like it! I like it a lot!  :drool:  Chasing that funnel of light all night long! lol!

Ja! I know!!! :whistling: ........

Still looking for a psychologist & psychiatrist, all in one, who will be willing to give me a combo session deal!....lol!  

We played a little game at 36One last year. Since the solo guys start ahead of us, we had lots of targets to chase down (chasing red flashy lights can become quite addictive). But as we moved through the field, we ran the risk of collecting some passengers, so we'd always pull our overtaking moves on the flats, or on slight downhill sections where we could out pedal the victims. It was like a cheetah stalking a gazelle, and then pouncing!

That kept us busy for about 6 hours. Then we had to amuse ourselves with each other's company, and that wasn't nearly as much fun.

(I run a 2x11 38/28 on the front, 9-46 on the back, and my partner has a 3x10 44/34/22 11-36)

I checked you guys, decided to leave you to your mission.

You ride solo, you ride your own race hboli4....do what's best for you according to your training, endurance and ability.

Don't get fazed by all the talk...lol. Its just pent up energy ready to give it horns!!!! Ne' boys!?  :clap:

18 days to GO!!!  :whistling:

Thanks TW! Yip, that is the plan, but is my plan good enough  :w00t:  I have been doing all my training at a riding average of about 18km/h and my plan is to finish in 24 hours if all goes well, which leaves me about 4 hours at the check and waterpoints which should be more than enough...

If I manage a faster riding average after evaluating at checkpoint 3 and I'm still feeling good I will push a bit.

Thanks TW! Yip, that is the plan, but is my plan good enough  :w00t:  I have been doing all my training at a riding average of about 18km/h and my plan is to finish in 24 hours if all goes well, which leaves me about 4 hours at the check and waterpoints which should be more than enough...

If I manage a faster riding average after evaluating at checkpoint 3 and I'm still feeling good I will push a bit.

The toughest section is from checkpoint 3 onward. It's super lumpy, and despite there not being massive climbs, those lumps feel like full blown mountain passes. If you get to the top of the last lump before the big right hander in decent shape, then you can start pushing. But I wouldn't do anything silly until then.

I ride the entire night section on feeling - I don't look at my HR or speed or distance or anything. It forces me to be conservative, and to constantly evaluate my pace, my nutrition, my hydration etc. Don't go chasing the numbers.

(As soon as the sun rises it's a different story, and then I have to do my very best to ignore my Garmin, or at least ride with a bit of a plan)

we may end up riding together. Plan is to do under 24h at 18kph avg. Allowing myself 10min at every WP and 20min at the CP.

post-38473-0-17380900-1522745680.jpg

Edited by fanievb

" I'm still feeling good I will push a bit."

The only pushing I did was my bike up some of the climbs.

" I'm still feeling good I will push a bit."

The only pushing I did was my bike up some of the climbs.

I reckon I will too, if only for the legs and backside to do something different...

Need bicycle transport?

36One bicycle transport only R1000

For queries please contact Katinka 084 590 9433

A Ride 4 My Bike

we may end up riding together. Plan is to do under 24h at 18kph avg. Allowing myself 10min at every WP and 20min at the CP.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Hi, I mapped the route last night on Garmin, and according to that the Rooiberg waterpoint is at +-242km (CP 3 still at 280), so you may just relook your expectations for that stage which is actually 38k's and not 28. Maybe someone who has done before can check.

Hi, I mapped the route last night on Garmin, and according to that the Rooiberg waterpoint is at +-242km (CP 3 still at 280), so you may just relook your expectations for that stage which is actually 38k's and not 28. Maybe someone who has done before can check.

From the summit of Rooiberg to CP3 is roughly 26km give or take........I think they have moved the waterpoint/added for this section. I could be wrong  :whistling:

Between Rooiberg waterpoint and CP3 was the only time I ran out of water. I think it was because of the Rooiberg climb and the hectic heat. I used 2 bottles (refilled) the whole race and that was the only time I ran out of water, so just a heads up for that. I think between Rooiberg waterpoint and the 310km waterpoint is the make or break for most.

Edited by GAP

i worked of the distances as per the route details on the website

http://www.the36one.co.za/route/stage-3?map=route