[Event] The 36ONE MTB Challenge 2018

Tanya De Abreu Fernandes

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The course record is set on a hardtail... #justsaying  :whistling:  :ph34r:

Might be so, but the average joe spends much more time in the saddle during the event than Bekkenk, Viljoen and Day...

Only 19 (male) riders finished under 17 hours but 110 riders took between 17 and 22 hours and 186 riders took longer than 22 hours. You can decide for yourself what you would like to ride for 20 hours +

Just saying...

Edited by sias

Might be so, but the average joe spends much more time in the saddle during the event than Bekkenk, Viljoen and Day...

Only 19 (male) riders finished under 17 hours but 110 riders took between 17 and 22 hours and 186 riders took longer than 22 hours. You can decide for yourself what you would like to ride for 20 hours +

Just saying...

Ah hah... so what you are saying is that if more guys goes hardtail we will have better stats cause more guys will go faster than what they did last year and will get to a shower quicker  :thumbup:  ^_^

All seriousness, I am also at a toss up which way to go. Did it last year with my Epic FSR but I have now got an Epic HT as an option. With all that climbing I am seriously considering using the HT. 

...wait, I haven't even entered for 2018. I said never again after this year  :blink:

Ride the dual and lock out the rear shock when you climb? Best of both with a small weight penalty...

Ride the dual and lock out the rear shock when you climb? Best of both with a small weight penalty...

Almost 2,5kgs in my case is not a very small penalty... Spec of the HT is far better. 

I do agree though, if you are going to sit on a bike for anything more than 18 hours you will be very thankful you have some suspension at the rear.

I do recommend training wheels they put on for kids too... when you fall asleep on the bike it tends to want to fall over. Trust me, you can't close your eyes and think you are going to stay upright. Put these on at checkpoint 2, don't start with it... you will look like a numb nut.

Will see how I feel after the Dash in December - maybe take a week or 2 off and then decide on entering or not. 

... by an ex 24 hour World Champion.

A roadie 24hr rider and winner, but not a world champ. Also winner of the Dutch beach riding champs.

Now if Jason English were to ride there would be fireworks!

Good day all,

I have buckled under the pressure and decided to enter the 2018 360one challenge. This will be my first one, but have done a couple of Transbaviaans', K2C's etc. I was contemplating maybe hitting it on my XTC as the Anthem is quite a bit heavier and has more components that can break, but then again think my body might take less of a hammering on the dualie.

As I don't know the terrain, I would love some views from people who has completed it.

My advice - ride the bike you're comfortable on. The bike you know. The bike you trust. It's such a long event that you're going to hurt regardless. Might as well make sure it's on a bike that isn't going to give you hassles. Your hands will hurt, your bum will hurt, your feet will hurt, your knees will hurt, your back will hurt. Sometimes on their own. And sometimes all at once.

Lance (while still being a toss) was and is still right about something. It's not about the bike. Make sure your preparation is good. Make sure you know how to look after your body. Make sure you know how to deal with the predawn demons in your mind. You conquer those things, and the bike won't really matter.

(I've ridden 4 times, 3 times on a hard tail, and twice of those with a Lauf fork). Comfort is overrated.

post-275-0-84526300-1510215408_thumb.jpg

My bike, on top of Rooiberg Pass. We're usually here just before sunrise...

My advice - ride the bike you're comfortable on. The bike you know. The bike you trust. It's such a long event that you're going to hurt regardless. Might as well make sure it's on a bike that isn't going to give you hassles. Your hands will hurt, your bum will hurt, your feet will hurt, your knees will hurt, your back will hurt. Sometimes on their own. And sometimes all at once.

Lance (while still being a toss) was and is still right about something. It's not about the bike. Make sure your preparation is good. Make sure you know how to look after your body. Make sure you know how to deal with the predawn demons in your mind. You conquer those things, and the bike won't really matter.

(I've ridden 4 times, 3 times on a hard tail, and twice of those with a Lauf fork). Comfort is overrated.

attachicon.gifIMG_20160806_152214.jpg

My bike, on top of Rooiberg Pass. We're usually here just before sunrise...

Velouria said it just as it is!!

And believe me there is truth in all of it!

2018, my number 4 coming up and even though I ride hardtail as well as full suss, My full suss, even though heavier, I wouldn't ride 36One any other way.

360kms, Its a loooong way and you WILL suffer somewhat. I'm quite happy to suffer with a shock off my rear  :thumbup:

All I get from this is that you will need to at least do it 2 times... once with a dual and once with a hardtail... to fully experience the different permutations of suffering that is on offer.

All I get from this is that you will need to at least do it 2 times... once with a dual and once with a hardtail... to fully experience the different permutations of suffering that is on offer.

I'm trying to compare the various years, and like most things, the toughest one seems to be the last one you did. 

I have vowed to never do this ride ever ever ever again, and here we are lining up for the 5th time next year.

And while I have a list as long as my arm about all the k@k things that happen during this event, there has to be a list of good things that is even longer that somehow wins out when I make that decision to enter again.

Dryland have something special here, and they've done a good job making sure they keep that something - whatever it is - alive and kicking...

A roadie 24hr rider and winner, but not a world champ. Also winner of the Dutch beach riding champs.

Now if Jason English were to ride there would be fireworks!

Not so sure about the roadie part.

"LATEST ACHIEVEMENTS

​Previous 24hr World MTB Marathon Champion & The 36ONE MTB Challenge back to back 2014 & 2015 solo winner and course record holder."

Source: http://www.32gi.com/jean/ 

"LATEST ACHIEVEMENTS

​Previous 24hr World MTB Marathon Champion & The 36ONE MTB Challenge back to back 2014 & 2015 solo winner and course record holder."

Biermans is no longer the course record holder

"LATEST ACHIEVEMENTS

That's a different guy - that's Jean Biermans. He won the two man team section of the old format 24hr World Champs several years ago (I think riding in a team is way more intense than riding solo).

Ramses Bekkenk won a crazy 24hr road race on a track, covering 850kms, and is very good at riding on the beach, while Jean won the 24hr 2 man team World Champs, hangs out with roadie pros and won 361 several times.