Dropper post...Internal, or External???

CASSIE1975

You don't need to get a new crank, there are plenty of single ring NW options available for that crank.  

I don't understand your minimum seat height issue.  The minimum marking on the seatpost is the least amount of seatpost that needs to go into the frame - if that's too long for you then just stick more of it into the frame to get the correct height.  Am I missing something here?

Let me re-check with Dayle @ Lyne...maybe I have the cat by the short and curly  :ph34r:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Herewith the MINIMUM height of the dropper above the top of the seat tube to the "rails" of the seat

post-32161-0-84234100-1495185564_thumb.png

post-32161-0-25447600-1495185570_thumb.png

You don't need to get a new crank, there are plenty of single ring NW options available for that crank.  

I don't understand your minimum seat height issue.  The minimum marking on the seatpost is the least amount of seatpost that needs to go into the frame - if that's too long for you then just stick more of it into the frame to get the correct height.  Am I missing something here?

Do the above pictures and the "minimum height" make more sense now?

Do the above pictures and the "minimum height" make more sense now?

Yes, I see what you mean now, but I don't see a 27mm external post on your picture or on the Lyne website?

I run the cable externally, on a 2016 Giant XTC Advanced... No place for internally routed.

I must add that this is a 1 x 11 setup, I originally used the cable guides dedicated for the front derailleur but then changed to rund adjacent to the rear brake hose and rear derailleur cable which works a charm.

The guides has an additional groove for an additional cable to be held to, so I just used that. Where I needed additional support, I cable tied the dropper casing to the brake hose closest to the nearest cable guide mount.

Yes, I see what you mean now, but I don't see a 27mm external post on your picture or on the Lyne website?

There is one, I'm sure he meant a 27.2mm 

There is one, I'm sure he meant a 27.2mm 

Dayle from Lyne said they have the 27.2mm "EXTERNAL" on order and will be in stock 4 to 6 weeks...I am sure then they will add it to their website.

I run the cable externally, on a 2016 Giant XTC Advanced... No place for internally routed.

I must add that this is a 1 x 11 setup, I originally used the cable guides dedicated for the front derailleur but then changed to rund adjacent to the rear brake hose and rear derailleur cable which works a charm.

The guides has an additional groove for an additional cable to be held to, so I just used that. Where I needed additional support, I cable tied the dropper casing to the brake hose closest to the nearest cable guide mount.

Thanx, I will inspect the frame and external / internal routings over the weekend and see what the best option will be...I think the change to 1x11 would be the way to go and then use the frame hole for the Front derailleur to route the Internal dropper casing  :thumbup:

• 11 months later...

Herewith the MINIMUM height of the dropper above the top of the seat tube to the "rails" of the seat

Hi, Did you get to the bottom on the minimum height issue? I'm having the same problem, also Merida and 27.2

Hi, Did you get to the bottom on the minimum height issue? I'm having the same problem, also Merida and 27.2

Hi Lyslexic,

(IF I WANTED TO GO AHEAD) --- I had to go with the INTERNAL Routed dropper post.

I have not changed yet, but I would like to go with Internal one day.

Here is the LYNE installation video on Youtube - it might give you more info and what is needed to go ahead with the installation and also if you have a "hole" into your frame for the internal dropper, maybe a FD cable hole, or similar...let me know what you decide and maybe add some pics on here if you are going to change (to help other Hubbers)...dropper posts just makes life a lot easier, especially downhill and a few technical stuff...I realize it every weekend!!!

Good luck.

HI!

Don't mean to hi-jack your post, I've searched the forum for something relating to my question and couldn't find anything. 

How do you add a waterbottle cage to a dropper post? I have an adaptor if it were a normal seat post, but can't seem to find a gadget for a dropper post?

HI!

Don't mean to hi-jack your post, I've searched the forum for something relating to my question and couldn't find anything. 

How do you add a waterbottle cage to a dropper post? I have an adaptor if it were a normal seat post, but can't seem to find a gadget for a dropper post?

My guess is that you don't. Although a bottle cage that attaches to the seat rails might work.

Edited by Jehosefat

My guess is that you don't. Although a bottle cage that attaches to the seat rails might work.

Yeah thats what I meant to say, soomething that attaches to the seat rail. I've heard of something but can't find what would work.