UCT XCO Track ?!?

AmirL

So I've tried out this track the past weekend and this afternoon(with permit ofcourse). Seeing that im new to the track i know this isnt a very good observation but checking strava I've noticed that not many people ride the track(compared to the people riding past it up to rhodes)? Why is this? Im no Sauser but i think its a really cool course. Has abit of everything and is rather convenient and for the most part safe. Would be nice to see another sign of life out on the track other than the squirrels. Riding alone in a forest creeps me out :mellow:.

• 5 months later...

What's happening with the UCT track? I heard that you no longer need a permit - any truth in this?

I've ridden it a few times, Thursday 2 days ago was the latest. Never thought a permit was required. I love it and go there when I have little time but want to get some st riding in.

Agree it has a little bit of everything. Always find that little trellis bridge at the start a tester as I tire and that last little "mountain" before you get to the "jeep" track down to the start. Ouch.

I love the fact that it is rather unknown and rarely see anyone there. It's not the kind of track that can accommodate numbers anyway. Too few passing opportunities really. 

• 8 months later...

Any one know what's the deal with the track at the moment? I rode there ages ago when it was first new and it was a bit of fun but actually a bit boring.

I had a ride this morning down there and was really surprised. Seems like Trail Troops have been doing a bit of work there and now there are some cool little tech features. Couple of rock rolls a little chute and some pump features. Look, it's not Jonkers but I had a blast and you can really make some skills improvement with some of the bits they've added as well as flow on the berms.  

Truthfully, my 'trail bike' was a bit wallowy and a steel hard tail would be great there. 

Well done who ever is looking after it and do I need permit?  :unsure: Don't want to be poaching the track if I'm not supposed to be there and will get one asap if I do. 

Edited by Dirt Tracker

What I liked was you could ride the little rock rolls or the chutes normally or take a different line and make it more of your own, a bit more interesting. Like roll in from that underground water tank rather than just come round the trail or make a drop off the bigger rock roll rather than the step downs that are there. Quite nicely thought out for a play track. I'll ring freewheel cycology as their logos are on the sign boards. 

So it seems that you can ride it with a standard Table Mountain Activity Card.  :thumbup:

source of that bit of info please?

source of that bit of info please?

Justin @ Freewheel Cycology. I called them as their name is on each of the route markers and seemed like a good start. I tried calling TMNP but couldn't get any response. I'll try again tomorrow. If any one knows more details then please confirm. 

I know when it launched back in about 2016 you needed a permit from The Gear Change or Table Mountain Bikers but post on this thread in 2017 seems to suggest that ended. I'll also ride past TGC tomorrow and see what they say. 

Edited by Dirt Tracker

I've ridden there a few times! Its a nice loop. Would also like to know about the permits

So it seems that you can ride it with a standard Table Mountain Activity Card.  :thumbup:

What's happening with the UCT track? I heard that you no longer need a permit - any truth in this?

From the UCT cycling Club Facebook Page

Hi, the XCO track is not affiliated with sanparks. Open to the public 1f44d_1f3fb.png no permit needed! If you take any pics please tag us and Freewheel Cycology 1f64f.png have fun and be safe!

From the UCT cycling Club Facebook Page

Hi, the XCO track is not affiliated with sanparks. Open to the public 1f44d_1f3fb.png no permit needed! If you take any pics please tag us and Freewheel Cycology 1f64f.png have fun and be safe!

Wow, that is super generous. Troops and Co are a pro outfit of trail builders and cost so I wonder who is covering their costs. Pretty stoked as it's going to be my new fitness angle. I can winch up long climbs and then hammer down no worries but sprinting around that lil' loop as fast as possible was a different work out all together. 

Wow, that is super generous. Troops and Co are a pro outfit of trail builders and cost so I wonder who is covering their costs. Pretty stoked as it's going to be my new fitness angle. I can winch up long climbs and then hammer down no worries but sprinting around that lil' loop as fast as possible was a different work out all together.

i would assume FreewheelCycolgy is picking up the tab.