The Vlakkenberg MTB Trail in Hout Bay

Bicyclegear

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great stuff. I have still got a days rental for a chainsaw from some money that was raised. It does need some TLC. Trying to get people involved in a clean up day.

Checked out the trail this weekend past, needs some TLC but has plenty potential!

• 2 weeks later...

We are organising a Vlakkenberg MTB Trail clean-up this Sunday 03/02/2019 from 9:00.

If you would like to get involved in this amazing mtb community initiative. Send me a message to get onto the Whatsapp group.

All you need is a pair of hands, a spade and a rake if you have one.

news@790tv.co.za or 0768504716

Awesome dig session yesterday. Thank you to those who came along, it was good vibes all round  :D .  

Edited by Vegan Warrior

• 2 weeks later...

Tempted to go check this out tomorrow Arvo. 

So from the Nek go through the parking lot then then turn right and "it's somewhere there" ?? 

Am I correct?

Great stuff. I have still got a days rental for a chainsaw from some money that was raised. It does need some TLC. Trying to get people involved in a clean up day.

Myself and Porqui have a chainsaw if you need in the future. I know Porqui helped to open some of the original trail.

Tempted to go check this out tomorrow Arvo. 

So from the Nek go through the parking lot then then turn right and "it's somewhere there" ?? 

Am I correct?

No.  From the Nek, head down towards Hout Bay and then up the steep looking gravel road on the left.  It's about 300 ish meters from there on the right hand side.  There are signs there now if I remember correctly.  Look out for painted rocks at the very least.  Once you've turned right there then you'll see the entry boards. 

Almost right!

From the parking lot opposite Contantia Nek La Parada you go 100 meters down the road towards Hout Bay. You’ll see a gravel road that kicks up on your left, turn left here. Continue on the gravel road for around 400 meters and the trail entrance will be your right. The trail entrance is pretty wide open so you shouldn’t miss it unless you try really hard.

Trail is well marked from there so just follow the signs and inspect the A lines first before attempting. There is a fork in the trail that says “Mineshaft” to the right and “B-line” to the left. Take the B-line to continue on the original XCO loop, it’s not really a B-line you’ll see what I mean. The Mineshaft was designed as a additional technical practice feature but is currently overgrown and needs some work before it can be ridden again.

Otherwise have fun out there and let us know how it goes.

I know this is a bit of an open ended question because this is SA after all, but how safe is it up there? 

I know this is a bit of an open ended question because this is SA after all, but how safe is it up there? 

Safe !!

To give you peace of mind the trail is on private land and boarded (electric fenced and has CCTV cameras) to the west and south by the Costantia Nek Estate. 

Have often ridden and done some trail maintenance by myself but as always I do always feel safer with a buddy (but that's the case with any trail). 

So like porqui said, I would go with safe (touch wood) but like you said it is SA after all. 

PS: Porqui built the trail a few years back so has the inside scoop. 

Had a time crunched weekend but still managed to get out onto the trail and do some digging. 

We rebuilt the run-in to the gap jump, so one can carry more speed and focus on the jump rather than just dodging rocks. The landing has also been widened and made a little more "case friendly" after a few complaints of damaged rims. Oh yes and we made the gap about a foot bigger. 

Also worked on on some new trail signs which we will look at putting up as soon as we get a chance. 

Next weekend we will look at making the b-lines to the gap jump and rock garden more beginner friendly.

Although the main goal of the trail was to create a technical playground for people to improve their skills, lots of riders avoided the trail altogether as the b-lines to a few sections were simply to daunting to tackle. With that in mind we have started making the b-lines more rideable but not a complete walk in the park, a few easier c-line options have been added. 

It's still a tight and technical trail with little to no free flow. The challenge is to hit the right lines, work on improving your skills and create your own flow throughout the trail. 

Enjoy everyone! 

Edited by Vegan Warrior

• 1 month later...

Flip, time flies! 

The trail signs are complete just need to get out there and put them up. 

That being said the trail is riding really awesome at the moment and is loads of fun. The off camber section through the forest is a nice challenge and has a hundred and one rocks waiting to bite your pedals. Body position and weight distribution are key to unlocking this trail. 

Full loop is 10-15 minutes including the jeep track climb back to the start. 

Remember the trail is free, inspect before you ride (especially the rock garden) and have fun!