Trek 810 rear disc brake bracket

SLINX

I have a 1999 Trek 810 single track. Its not a looker but its my first brand new in 1999 and its been up and down the old tokai and survived to tell the tail. (the bike below isnt mine but thats how it looks)

I want to fit a new crank, fork, handle bars & stem and a single speed conversion just to modernise it a bit to make it a fun runner and breathe some new life into it. Big question is...how do i get a rear disc brake onto this frame??

post-39332-0-49973200-1496237087_thumb.jpgpost-39332-0-79138300-1496237092_thumb.jpg

the non-drive side has these two rings welded to the frame (drive side as well as seen in the pic). are these potentially a brake caliper adapter mount? if not where do i get a bolt on bracket to mount the caliper onto in cape town maybe? also...if the rings aren't brake mounts...what are they

any thoughts, ideas and suggestions welcome

Edited by SLINX

I have a 1999 Trek 810 single track. Its not a looker but its my first brand new in 1999 and its been up and down the old tokai and survived to tell the tail. (the bike below isnt mine but thats how it looks)

I want to fit a new crank, fork, handle bars & stem and a single speed conversion just to modernise it a bit to make it a fun runner and breathe some new life into it. Big question is...how do i get a rear disc brake onto this frame??

attachicon.gifTrek-810-Singletrack-mountain-bike-_57.jpgattachicon.gifTrek-810-Singletrack-mountain-bike-_527.jpg

the non-drive side has these two rings welded to the frame (drive side as well as seen in the pic). are these potentially a brake caliper adapter mount? if not where do i get a bolt on bracket to mount the caliper onto in cape town maybe? also...if the rings aren't brake mounts...what are they

any thoughts, ideas and suggestions welcome

Hi,

Sadly those are rack mounts and not the right location or strength to accommodate a disc mount. For cost and effort of brazing a disc mount on, repainting etc, you would be better off just running a nice set of Vees or adding a front disc. I ran an On-one frame with that configuration for a couple of years and was never short of braking power or fun.

Cheers,

OneSpeedWonder.

doesn't look like it has mounts for disc brakes...so basically you can't. Unless you can somehow get some fabricated and welded on and then get over the heat treatment issues related to welding...

Is it Friday yet?

At one point Trek did offer an adapter for some of the higher spec models - those utilized a different, more sturdy flat alu dropout tho.

An adapter like Myles found would work, I wouldn't like to guarantee the ability to hold its adjustment when removing and re-fitting the wheel though. 

Personally I would stay with Vees and keep the bike era specific...

ive seen a couple of these mounts online that can be bought i guess. who knows if itll be an exact fit...in that case i can measure/draw it up and have a custom bracket made and make sure its sturdy enough to hold its alignment.

in my head..bottom line is it must have discs i dont want to be limited to rim brake rims

rear disc brake frame adapter.... 

Surely it can't be difficult to understand!?

I thought you just knew it off the top of head.

I used one of these with much success:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-MTB-Bicycle-Bike-Rear-Disc-Brake-Adapter-Kit-145mm-Blue-/371916247082

Still have it lying around in a box of parts somewhere, with a million other things...

Uses the axle and cantilever mount for fixing and is pretty solid with some effort installing it. I fitted it to a Specialized Tricross CX bike, will post pics if I can find them.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/10UAAOSwmgJY50QG/s-l1600.jpg

I used one of these with much success:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-MTB-Bicycle-Bike-Rear-Disc-Brake-Adapter-Kit-145mm-Blue-/371916247082

Still have it lying around in a box of parts somewhere, with a million other things...

Uses the axle and cantilever mount for fixing and is pretty solid with some effort installing it. I fitted it to a Specialized Tricross CX bike, will post pics if I can find them.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/10UAAOSwmgJY50QG/s-l1600.jpg

yeah, that's teh alternative.

At one point Trek did offer an adapter for some of the higher spec models - those utilized a different, more sturdy flat alu dropout tho.

An adapter like Myles found would work, I wouldn't like to guarantee the ability to hold its adjustment when removing and re-fitting the wheel though. 

Personally I would stay with Vees and keep the bike era specific...

im not that into keeping it era specific though. i did see some modern day deore vbrakes on the hub the other day but didnt smaak it lol

Have used this universal mount on a Trek 4300 many years ago, works fine, rode the bike for 2 years or more, first with gears then and a SS

Have used this universal mount on a Trek 4300 many years ago, works fine, rode the bike for 2 years or more, first with gears then and a SS

do you have a pic of the bike with the mount on?

tbh i didnt think robocops left arm was gonna be the solution but it would give me a use for the brake boss :mellow: