Trusting a new hubber with a large purchase

pmswanepoel

Only looking to buy the frame -110k for a bike is WAY beyond my means!

Maybe that's why he's ignoring you - he's selling the complete bike, not just a frame.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe that's why he's ignoring you - he's selling the complete bike, not just a frame.

Nope. He is also selling the frame -check classifieds under 'Frames'

R30K for that beautiful frame seems much more reasonable than R110K for a complete bicycle. (Although, at the current inflation rate I will be willing to spend that sort of money in 19 years time)

So R80K for Groupset, Saddle and Wheels? :eek:  :eek:

If it makes you feel any better, those photos are 100% from George. 

thanks, that does make me feel better. How do you know?

thanks, that does make me feel better. How do you know?

I holiday there every year. Those photos are taken on York Street, very distinctive street, double lane in both directions with a little planter in the middle. Looks near Coimbra cycles/PnP

I holiday there every year. Those photos are taken on York Street, very distinctive street, double lane in both directions with a little planter in the middle. Looks near Coimbra cycles/PnP

Thanks! Good eyes!

Keep in mind that there are many many scamsters on the www. There is NO WAY I would deposit R30k into an account and rely on a sender's integrity. Ask a 3d party to act as agent if it cant go through a shop. (The reply of the seller alone would ring alarm bells). Its too much money to risk. My limit for these type of transactions is R500. If I had to by a bike for over R10k, I would buy a plane ticket to go fetch it.

Looks into very close to Coimbra you even say in front of the shop. CAW number plates in the background aswell

Seller could be sitting in Nigeria, and lifted the pic off somebody's instagram or hacked FB account etc - just sayin...

R30k is a lot of "school fees" if something goes wrong.

Seller was a bit non-responsive but then eventually sent me a message saying the frame had been sold. Disappointed I missed it.

Anyways, thank you for all the input guys and gals.

Sometimes you have to go with gut feel and some sense, snooze you loose..............

Sometimes you have to go with gut feel and some sense, snooze you loose..............

you're right, I should have been sharper!

The ad is gone. I guess not sold?

I did a bit of FB stalking earlier, and the name of the advertiser was that of a cyclist in George/Oudtshoorn area (can't recall which of the 2), however that FB person had a lot of MTB photos, but not a single road bike in any photo

Either a name sake, or somebody who wanted to keep the road bike a secret, or ... a semi sophisticated scam attempt?

The ad is gone. I guess not sold?

I did a bit of FB stalking earlier, and the name of the advertiser was that of a cyclist in George/Oudtshoorn area (can't recall which of the 2), however that FB person had a lot of MTB photos, but not a single road bike in any photo

Either a name sake, or somebody who wanted to keep the road bike a secret, or ... a semi sophisticated scam attempt?

Not a scammer at all, he works at Coimbra cycles in George.

Archived